Laughing City
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

I know that boyd put a lot of effort into producing the video and wants everyone to be able to watch it. So here's how I got to watch the entire "Super-HI" video (with out any buffering problems) in windows media format on a dial up connection through aol. So what that means.. if it worked on my terrible connection.. it will work for you. Im not sure if this will work for macs.

Use ASFRecorder. Very detailed instructions follow.

1.) Download and install ASFRecorder. Well, theres not much of an install.. you have to unzip the file. www.winzip.com should help if you havent unzipped anything before

2.) Use the Laughing City Ep cd to get to the "Eisley Extras" site.

3.) Open ASFRecorder (run ASFRecorder.exe)

4.) cick File>Open URL...

5.) Switch back to the Eisley Extras site and copy the url of the windows media format "Super-High" link: Right click one of the Windows Media format links (Super-HI is the way to go) and click properties in the pop up menu. Highlight the url that is shown next to "Address: (URL)" and press Ctrl+C on your keyboard.

6.) Switch back to the ASFRecorder program and click inside the text line next to open (make sure the cursor is blinking) and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard. The url you copied in step 5 should appear now. The last three characters in the url should be "asx".

7.) Press OK to start the download.

When it's finished, the video will be on your computer.. so no buffering problems.. just watch it over and over and over... Well, the "Super-HI" format video is grand. Hope this helps (Amy and others who were having problems). Mr. Green

letdowntourist
Lost at Forum

thanks a quazillion times over man, your homework on this works great!
to what i did and said

piccysssssss
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

ok thanks......i'm doing it now. i guessing for the first time, it will take the same time it would to download......so it will take some time on a 56k

could you tell me what all the numbers are at the bottom of the recorder?
the first two look like how much and the overall percentage......what are the other two?

BK
Laughing Citizen

Whenever I click on "Eisley Xtras" it takes me to the CD drive. What's going wrong? O_o
Vintage Newbie

i opened the cd before i got on the internet and only the site and the forum links would work.
then i close out the cd window and clicked on it again and the extra page worked that time. try that.

question to anyone?is there no way to minimize the cd screen that comes up without closing it?

BK
Laughing Citizen

Still nothing. My computer stays connected to the net (thank the Lord for DSL), I wonder if it's just one bad cd?

Edit:: If you hit Alt+Esc, it'll cycle through the open windows.

Vintage Newbie

try ejecting the disc and then putting it back in.

i downloaded about 40% and i must've clicked something........what i saw is great though.........i guess there's no way to pick up where it stopped, is there?

sc0tt
Golly, Poster

thanks alot! Thats a useful program.
fredjones
Sea Post King

i'm on a mac os x. when i click "eisley xtras," it'll open the browser window, but soon follow that with "a connection failure has occured." it's opening the web and forum sites just fine, but that's not what i need. for those of you more inclined to handle this sort of thing, i'd love some hints.
sc0tt
Golly, Poster

I just watched the video after taking an hour or so to download. Kudos to boyd for doing such a good job editing. I'm guessing it was boyd who edited. Its real great.
thejessicastar1
Sea Post King

I guess this message is directed to the person who wrote the first message in this thread (you know what you're doing).
I've downloaded ASFRecorder, unzipped it, and got the Xtras part up, but I'm not sure what to copy as the URL from the xtras part. What is the URL? I guess I'm a little confused. If you or anyone else could help, I'd appreciate it.
Nathan
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

im glad y'all are having success! im not sure about all the meanings of the numbers at the bottom of the ASFRecorder thingy.. but it works Mr. Green

nathan - Welcome to the board! (though i feel weird saying that.. about as weird as one guest at a party saying "welcome to the party" to another guest at a party.. but anyways..) Hi. On the extras page.. there is a link that says "Super-Hi". Right click on it (make sure it's the one next to "windows media format". A menu should pop up and you should then click properties (should be the last choice). In the window that shows up there will be like three for four lines.. the last line is the url (it might be two lines cause it may wrap around). The url will start with "http://" and should end with ".asx". Hope that helps! Smile if it doesnt, please say so Mr. Green

gRegor
the gEek

Note to self: When I put out a CD, include special features and video on the disc.

Perhaps that wasn't in the budget or something though, but that's what I thought originally when I heard there was a video.

letdowntourist
Lost at Forum

gRegor wrote:
Note to self: When I put out a CD, include special features and video on the disc.

Perhaps that wasn't in the budget or something though, but that's what I thought originally when I heard there was a video.

amen brotha.

to what i did and said

piccysssssss
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

gRegor wrote:

haa

Well, I'm starting to get the same error.. just showing the cd drive. But, happily the video is already on my computer Mr. Green

but, if they add any new content we'll be missing out..

well, i was wondering what in the world OpenURL.x16 and OpenURL.x32 are since that's all i get now.. and after opening one of the files up in wordpad and scrolling to the bottom of the file.. this was written:

-- Copyright: Gary Smith, 9th August, 1997.
-- Email: (edited out by Unregistered)
-- Web site: http://www.mods.com.au
-- This Xtra may be freely distributed.

so, gRegor, I guess the moral of the story is.. dont use free software written 6 years ago in your cd release.