Laughing City

Bright eyes:
beautiful, brilliant, poetic...i love them.
56%
 56%  [ 14 ]
whiny, cliche, annoying...im not impressed.
44%
 44%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 25

ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

jay - next thing i know you guys will be mocking such rock and roll greats as aaron carter! whats the deal?
WeAreTheEggmen
Sea Post King

HEY MAN, i listened to N*Sync when they were UNDERGROUND!
Joined: 21 Dec 2002 | Posts: 116 | Location: lawrence, kansas | dallas, texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dylans_vagabond
Sea Post King

InModWeTrust wrote:
Conor Oberst is an amazing lyricist. i can relate to so much that he writes. his fault comes when he gets too sappy or melodramatic or sings about another girl that he kissed in the 3rd grade.

so i didn t vote. there shoudl be a middle vote for "very good band, moments of brilliance, but has tendency to be a total indie drama queen."

I agree. "If Winter Ends" is such a powerful song, but I thought the whole song just flopped when I heard the line "or I'll drive off a f****** cliff." That's when it got pretty childish. But still, emo has its ups and downs, and so does Bright Eyes. I despise Dashboard Confessionals or any other emo band, but Bright Eyes is a great exception.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jay
Golly, Poster

ilitherian wrote:
jay - next thing i know you guys will be mocking such rock and roll greats as aaron carter! whats the deal?

Laughing

InModWeTrust
Sea Post King

Jay wrote:
i'm growing wearly of this crap. when people like howie day, badly drawn boy, ron sexsmith and bands like doves get thrown in with trash like dashboard and bright eyes, john mayer and bands like...well insert crappy band here...it makes me sick. :\

i fail to see the comparison between john mayer and bright eyes.

Jay
Golly, Poster

InModWeTrust wrote:
Jay wrote:
i'm growing wearly of this crap. when people like howie day, badly drawn boy, ron sexsmith and bands like doves get thrown in with trash like dashboard and bright eyes, john mayer and bands like...well insert crappy band here...it makes me sick. :\

i fail to see the comparison between john mayer and bright eyes.

see: suck at song writing.

ilitherian
Vintage Newbie

ya know though. i actually like dashboard confessional. sure he is sappy and love songish and kinda whiny and is a big loser for always getting dumped. but darn it i can identify with that! even though ive only been dumped once... but that was enough...
InModWeTrust
Sea Post King

ilitherian wrote:
ya know though. i actually like dashboard confessional. sure he is sappy and love songish and kinda whiny and is a big loser for always getting dumped. but darn it i can identify with that! even though ive only been dumped once... but that was enough...

I'm not a huge dashboard fan by any means, but being able to write songs that people, such as yourself, can identify to is more than validating. not many people can truly do that.

The Masked Avenger

Actualy anyone can do it. Theres a formula to follow... but I won't tell you beacuse it's my ticket to fame.
 |  | 
Smirffy Shmeebs
Sea Post King

The difference between Bright Eyes and Dashboard Confessional is that Conor Oberst IS Bright Eyes...being that he writes all the songs and plays the intruments on most of the tracks and no one other person is a constant in the band. Where as with DC, Chris takes the front because he writes, yet the rest of the band still counts because they're always part of the band.
And the difference between Bright Eyes and John Mayer is that Bright Eyes has more deep lyrics, and also less of a popular sound. Comparing the two is like comparing Ginny Owens and Avril Lavigne. It doesn't really make much sense.
Agent-E
Sea Post King

lol you put too much thought into that haha Laughing
surfacinghl
Sea Post King

InModWeTrust wrote:
ilitherian wrote:

I'm not a huge dashboard fan by any means, but being able to write songs that people, such as yourself, can identify to is more than validating. not many people can truly do that.

Exactly...I mean, who are we to judge whether or not someone's expression of themselves is valid or "sucky." There's so much out there, and I don't identify with all of it, but somebody does, so why crush that?

livejournal.com/~surfacinghl
Some might tell you there's no hope in hell just because they feel hopeless,
but you don't have to be a thing like that. You be a ship in a bottle set sail.
- Dave Matthews "Baby"
letdowntourist
Lost at Forum

surfacinghl wrote:
Exactly...I mean, who are we to judge whether or not someone's expression of themselves is valid or "sucky." There's so much out there, and I don't identify with all of it, but somebody does, so why crush that?

Hmm... for me it's not just his sound, or even his words, but also the hype that it caused, releasing all of this garbage from the "get off stage" realm to the girls screaming at the top of their lungs realm. granted, some people identify with it... but how much of that is because one way or another it's simply being forced down their throats, and their being told to like it. it happens daily. turn on your radio.

i guess that is to say: sure i feel like him... sometimes. not all the time. and i don't have a right to bitch and moan all the time, much less allow the entire US to listen to me. particularily when he had something infinately better (cough... fsf) going for him. the move seems like a selfish one to hoard more attention and attract more females than he could possibly handle (giving birth to yet more songs, no doubt.) but the music just feels so uninspired compared to "the moon is down", and i don't think many could argue.

back to bright eyes. i can't hear enough to make me like this guy... i dunno... desparicidowhatever is okay, but bright eyes seems to cut and paste and random... not even really coherant ideas most of the time.

[opinions... remember that... i'm not attacking you or your life here... keep it real]

to what i did and said

piccysssssss
surfacinghl
Sea Post King

letdowntourist wrote:

[opinions... remember that... i'm not attacking you or your life here... keep it real]

Right...I don't feel personally attacked...everyone has a right to their opinion...

But people do change stylistically...I mean we don't listen to all of the same music we listened to a few years ago...so, why say that he's sold out in some way because he's not doing the exact same thing? Confused

I don't know...that's just what I think about all this...

livejournal.com/~surfacinghl
Some might tell you there's no hope in hell just because they feel hopeless,
but you don't have to be a thing like that. You be a ship in a bottle set sail.
- Dave Matthews "Baby"
letdowntourist
Lost at Forum

change isn't bad... i think it's certainly a change for the worse. it seems so uninspired. but more how he's changed music because of that change than the music itself. most bands i couldn't care less if they changed. i didn't EVER listen to dashboard very much until i realized the connection between further and dashboard. and then the whole radio hit and dvd and mtv unplugged (what? unplugged? nevermind). and it seems he's continuing to shape music for the poorer as is the case with commercial music these days. again. opinion.
to what i did and said

piccysssssss

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>