Laughing City
Eis_Fan
Vintage Newbie

theenvycorps wrote:
Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think this whole donation thing is going a little far. Most here are kids and are probably donating their paper route money. I know Boyd does alot for Eisley and the fans, but part of that is just the sacrifices you make simply for being in a band.

sure...but we are making sacrifices for being part of a forum boardie...i guess..and since we like boyd...and all he has done for us was help and such...we know he would do the same for us. Very Happy
paper route..hmm...kids still do that? Confused

i don't care! i'm giving him money..little as it is.

iampam
Lost at Forum

sherri wrote:
this just in...

the tree killed our trampoline.

It must have a proper burial.

NO BOYD!? 'TIS MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!

Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Canadianalias wrote:
Quote:
True... one might argue that he'd be able to use another DuPree's laptop...

There is only one other laptop now because Sherri's bit the dust in LA, and the laptop they are now using won't do everything Boyd needs it to do.
Eis_Fan
Vintage Newbie

I wish that I could send in more money. But I'm sorry...I just hope 20 dollars will help the no computer thing out. Sad
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

theenvycorps wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think this whole donation thing is going a little far. Most here are kids and are probably donating their paper route money. I know Boyd does alot for Eisley and the fans, but part of that is just the sacrifices you make simply for being in a band.

You know that is one view, and we certainly are overwhelmed that anyone would care.
Boyd just found out that Icurate had set up the fund, and he wants to get on and tell people not to donate. He feels guilty that anyone would want to help out with this.
Things happen everyday in peoples lives. Thus the bumper sticker, "S#$T Happens".
However, the sacrifices Boyd makes are far and above anything expected, or required.
I'm not saying that merits anyone wanting to help financially.
This is a response from people who really appreciate what he does. Maybe theenvycorps doesn't see it that way. That's ok, but,
I don't know if you can tell someone not to follow their heart, or that if they are so moved, that what they are doing is ridiculous or "too far".

I sincerely hope that people are there for you when times get hard.
It renews our faith in fellow humans.

We are truly blessed by the acts of kindness.
dial r for revenge
Golly, Poster

laptops are fragile things indeed. i spilled milk on mine a while back and now a lot of the punctuation keys are faulty which means whenever you see me using punctuation you should bear in mind that i have to COPY AND PASTE the darned things.

so Crying or Very sad for boyd. i know the pain.

and for the trampoline. may it rest in peace.

"dial" in Welsh means "revenge". If a welsh speaker enters an English phone booth, having paid the coin/phone card the next command the l.e.d screen throws at the customer is "revenge!" thus setting the tone for a confrontational conversation.
(thank you mogwai you are all nuts.)
Joined: 04 May 2004 | Posts: 564 | Location: bristol, england
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
theenvycorps wrote:
Quote:

You know that is one view, and we certainly are overwhelmed that anyone would care.
Boyd just found out that Icurate had set up the fund, and he wants to get on and tell people not to donate. He feels guilty that anyone would want to help out with this.
Things happen everyday in peoples lives. Thus the bumper sticker, "S#$T Happens".
However, the sacrifices Boyd makes are far and above anything expected, or required.
I'm not saying that merits anyone wanting to help financially.
This is a response from people who really appreciate what he does. Maybe theenvycorps doesn't see it that way. That's ok, but,
I don't know if you can tell someone not to follow their heart, or that if they are so moved, that what they are doing is ridiculous or "too far".

I sincerely hope that people are there for you when times get hard.
It renews our faith in fellow humans.

We are truly blessed by the acts of kindness.

I don't mean to offend, but I think there is a very grey area when it comes to accepting money from kids, which comprise alot of this forum. I also saw the post Sherri made as kind of manipulative...these kids love Boyd to death and suggesting that he would not be around anymore as a result of the broken laptop isn't necessarily true.

Before I go any further, I will say it pleases me that Boyd doesn't want to accept the donations.

Boyd is like a leader to these kids, I think they would trust him on just about anything. He honestly could tell them to do anything and they would do it....which to me isn't right. I honestly believe that your families intentions are very pure in all that I've seen, so I'm not saying Boyd or anyone in the band would knowingly take advantage of these kids, but it's a touchy situation.

You know, if people are honestly donating from the goodness of their hearts, I cannot judge that. I just hope that no one feels obligated to pitch in because they think Boyd will be gone.

You're also making it sound like only those who are making a donation appreciate what Boyd does. I love his journals and videos, but that makes me enjoy the band more, i.e. purchase their cds on iTunes AND in hard copy, and basically tell all my friends about them.
Last edited by theenvycorps on Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Eis_Fan
Vintage Newbie

theenvycorps wrote:

You know, if people are honestly donating from the goodness of their hearts, I cannot judge that. I just hope that no one feels obligated to pitch in because they think Boyd will be gone.

I think everyone of us realizes that Boyd can anytime just borrow a computer from the library or that other laptop whatever...but still, it doesn't stop us. no one is forcing us. we are doing this to help out. it's not like i would use the money (just on candy). so it doesn't bother me. i don't think people are thinking that they are forced to give him money, and that they see sherri's post as not being manipulative, but just i don't know. i way to tell us that boyd won't be posting for a while.
we know that they aren't asking for money, we just know that if one of us had a broken computer, boyd would do something about it. and everyone enjoys what boyd has to say.
Very Happy (i know it just says "blah blah blah")

theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

Eis_Fan wrote:
we just know that if one of us had a broken computer, boyd would do something about it.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.
Eis_Fan
Vintage Newbie

theenvycorps wrote:
Eis_Fan wrote:
we just know that if one of us had a broken computer, boyd would do something about it.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true.

well, it's what i believe...so i'll do something about it. i'll care. and i'll work for some money. yeah, i'm such a child. Very Happy

DeathRockBoy
Sea Post King

whoa.

stuff like this makes me feel really privledged to be a fan. Eisley definately has to have the best fans on earth. its amazing. donating money to buy a laptop. jeez. for someone who's not in the band! (of course, he is the invisible 6th member, but you know what i mean.)

im going to try and find a way to donate. i love you guys.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

i don't know so much if i'll donate because boyd does this and that or that he does it for us fans hardcore, even though he does do a lot. i just know hey, i've got expendible income, and this guy boyd who i count among my friends needs some help, so i should help him. even if he weren't my friend, i'd help him. Why? strong christian upbringing. its what we do ya know, us christian folk, charity and such. i'd rather spend my life a poor man if i could make someone smile.
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

I feel the need to say that I share theenvycorps's feelings about this situation; he's not alone. It literally makes me sick that some people think that a person doesn't even care about Boyd's situation if they're not willing to donate money to the cause. I'm comforted to know that Boyd realizes that this is unnecessary... I don't even have anything useful to say about this, and certainly nothing that will change anyone's opinion, so I'll stop here. All I know is that I'm sorry about the Duprees' losses, I'm sorry that some people feel the need to attack those who don't share their ideas about this, and I hope it all works out in the end.
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

Oh, and I guess I'm not being Christ-like now, too, if I don't donate. Isn't that nice?
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

Under normal circumstances... I think donating money is kind of silly. I mean... I think it's dumb when people set up personal donation accounts just so they can buy the camera they want or whatever.

However, this is a very different case. Boyd does more for Eisley fans than I've ever seen anybody do for another band's fans. And much of what he does is linked to that computer. The death of the computer means a serious decrease in updates, pictures, sound clips, and best of all, video clips. I love that stuff.

Nobody should feel obligated to contribute. If you think the American Cancer Society deserves every penny of your extra money... by all means give it to them! Nobody would certainly think less of you for doing so. But I don't think anybody should diminish what's going on here. Asking for donations to help keep a web site running smoothly is very common because running a popular web site can get expensive. I don't really see this as being any different... except nobody from the site solicited donations.

I think what Boyd does is great and deserves appreciation. And everybody shows appreciation differently. If some people want to give up a few dollars... then that's cool. Ultimately though... people should do what they feel comfortable doing. Don't be swayed either way for the wrong reasons.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>