Laughing City
Amy
Sea Post King

I just wanted to ask you what all the chords are in Over The Mountains We Go...I have most of it figured out, but there's a couple parts I'm not certain about. Like the begining for instance, do you play the A open ...etc etc. Whenever I tell folks about you guys, I always let them hear this one first...b/c you and stacy have the greatest harmonies on this one. And it's interesting to me how most people after listening to all your stuff tell me that Telescope Eyes is their favorite. Probably because we have all been there at some point. Just thought I'd share that with you!- Very Happy
Amy

Iamthe-walrus

it's ridiculously easly like all their songs. it's mostly just E and C
 |  | 
Bartman
Golly, Poster

Iamthe-walrus wrote:
it's ridiculously easly like all their songs. it's mostly just E and C

You must know very little about music.

Iamthewalrus
Sea Post King

actually I'm two classes away from having a college degree in music thank you very much you ignorant fart
MeanGreen
Sea Post King

NO YOU IDIOTS the cords are H, I, and J. GEEZ none of you know jack about music Smile
kris
Ubernerd Moderator

LOL.

Am. there's some Am too.

no really.

Andrew
Lost at Forum

Im pretty shure theres absolutely no C chord in Over the Moutains We Go. You see when you put a song in the key of A you cant have a C in it it just sounds like poo poo. Heres what I Have, It starts With A Then go's to an Am and A2 I think thats what its called just drop the minor note to open, then its E and then the chorus is B, A, C#, A, Thats pretty much it. Dont think this is in stone but this is what I have.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sc0tt
Golly, Poster

i believe there is a c in the pre chorus, um between the verse that alternates from a min to a maj. then it goes E to some kind of c/e minor chord. i dont really know the theory, and i bet they didnt either (no offense to sherri if you know theory, its not necessary to make good rock and roll unless you wanna sound like ywingve malsteen.[i bet i spelled the neo classical shred metal rockers' name wrong!]). then the chorus comes up, its in a. thats all im gonna tell you. you know, I might be wrong.
Iamthewalrus
Sea Post King

The intro has a C in it for sure. I stood there and watched Chauntelle play it. She started on E and went to C.
MeanGreen
Sea Post King

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! hahahaha Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
jeremyb
Sea Post King

to those about to read the following garbled mumbo-jumbo that somehow constitutes a reply - i am so sorry... when reading over it i realized just how long it is. it's, like, really long. you don't have to read it. in fact, you're probably better off not reading it. but whatever...

Andrew wrote:
Im pretty shure theres absolutely no C chord in Over the Moutains We Go. You see when you put a song in the key of A you cant have a C in it it just sounds like poo poo. Heres what I Have, It starts With A Then go's to an Am and A2 I think thats what its called just drop the minor note to open, then its E and then the chorus is B, A, C#, A, Thats pretty much it. Dont think this is in stone but this is what I have.

but... poo poo... that doesn't always sound bad, does it? Smile

yes, according to classical theory, i do believe it's rare to see Emaj and Cmaj chords in the same phrase or whatever, because Cmaj is not a diatonic chord in the key of A (which is what the song is based around). however, this song, just like many other great songs, doesn't stick to the "rules" and does in fact include a C (in the prechorus, after the E). I don't know exactly how everyone plays their parts because i'm not them, but you're mostly right about the basic chord changes. the chorus, though, if i'm not mistaken, is F#, A, C#, A...

about classical theory (word of caution: this may be extremely boring) - i've taken theory classes, am in the process of taking more theory classes, working on getting one of those pieces of paper that says i know what i'm talking about (even if i don't)... and while knowing theory is a great thing, if you're not careful it's easy to fall into the trap of throwing away any musical ideas you may come up with that "don't quite fit" or that bend the rules, simply for the sake of following common-practice theory... and that's no fun. i've been there. not that i write great music or anything, but it's definitely harder when you limit yourself to writing inside the box. Ornette Coleman, Thelonius Monk, many many many other musicians (including classical composers) wrote great music using plenty of "wrong" notes... anyway. sorry about all that - kind of went off on a tangent.

all that to say that it can sound just fine to stick a Cmaj chord in a song that's in Amaj.

oh, and by the way, meangreen's right. anytime you wanna spice things up just throw in an H, I, or J - even better, something like an Hmin/maj7sus4flat9sharp11, rounded to the nearest tenth... and you can call it jazz.

philippians 4:13

ok. for the person who started this post... here's the song...
starts with an A major chord... then goes b/t an A minor and an A9 chord. that's the verse progression..
the prechorus.. and this is where i am surprised no one got.... especially you jeremyb... haha...
goes from an E major chord.. to a C augmented... (that's a major chord with a sharp five in it, for those music geniuses).. so yes, there is a C chord in it.... and it is major....just altered a bit...
now the fun part...
the bridge...
goes from a G ... into the piano part that is, E minor, A minor, to F#aug/A#.. that's an F# augmented chord with the third of that chord..(the A#) in the bass...
anyways... i am sure no one understands this... but that's the song... from start to finish. thanks
 |  | 

oh yes.. i almost forgot... jemeryb... you are correct sir... chorus..F# to A to C# back to A
 |  | 
jeremyb
Sea Post King

...who is this fount of knowledge who calls himself/herself "guest"? yes, C augmented - of course!... i had not recognized the chord as augmented until you, enlightened one, brought it to our attention. and voila! now i hear it... but seriously, thanks. Smile

now my dixieland-death-metal-mariachi-cover-band can more accurately perform this song at our next open mic appearance... [insert evil laugh here]

philippians 4:13
Last edited by jeremyb on Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

who am i? someone that has nothing to do except listen to music and figure it out. that is pretty sad.. i know... tell us when you're band is playing jeremyb....
i hear somthing's happening tonight in dallas... are you going?
 |  |