Laughing City
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

today, I, the great and powerful granpaturtle and my new friend Ryan M Fisher, spent 8 hours with the band we all know as Eisley.

6:20 pm: Eisley arrives 20 minutes late to the venue (they were supposed to arrive 20 minutes early... Rolling Eyes Laughing ) and we help them unload their prized musical equipment from the trailer to inside the venue. As soon as they find out who I am, Chauntelle recognizes me as the guy with the picture of the robot costume on his xanga, and Stacy says "the infamous granpaturtle" needless to say i am pleased.

6:30-8:00: Snow Patrol runs their entire set in "soundcheck" and the lot of us chill in Eisley's dressing room just chewing the fat and eating PBJ's. When Snow Patrol plays their "hit" the girls sing the lines from Telescope Eyes because the chord progression is identical. hehehe. Made me happy.

8:00-8:40: load Eisley's stuff onto stage, watch them do their soundcheck while Boyd draws up the set list. They run through My Lovely in its entirty and Ryan and I give them a standing ovation.

8:40-9:10: Eisley eats dinner, we chat it up some more, several Napoleon Dynamite quotes fly betwixt Chauntelle and myself. She does a spot on impression of Napoleon's brother.

9:10-9:30: interview Eisley, the whole thing is video taped, including Weston's tangent about cheese...we'll post it eventually...

9:30-10:15: what's this? MORE chill time with the Eisley's? Man, who could ask for anything more? The band starts getting ready for the, including warm up singing from the girls (funny noises emit from the adjacent room) and a wardrobe change for the boys. Jonathan brought out the bling at my request, but eventually decided against it. Jonathan Clark went to pee...now you know...

10:15-11:00: The greatest 45 minutes of music takes place as Eisley rocks through the most amazing set ever. At this point it's porbably my second favorite concert, right after radiohead. It went by so fast, i couldn't blieve it. Plenty of Paper blew me away and of course i love My Lovely. The guy in front of us was fairly chill the whole set, but when they said Marvelous Things he went CRAZY and there was some orange haired dude who pumped his fists in the air to every song. Brilliant. We reunite with boyd and help them break down the stage real fast. I can honestly say i have been on stage at the 9:30 club in front of a packed crowd. Being a roadie must be fun...

11:00-1:30ish: Eisley chills at the merch table to sign things, i convince the band to sign an old band picture of some fat kid from the 80's in my high school marching band. Pictures forth coming. Talk to Jonathan a lot, and Chauntelle, introduce them to my friend Chuck, then talk to Boyd through most of Snow Patrol's set if not all. Wait in line for merch, leave, hug Chauntelle good bye, say good bye to the rest of teh guys, give boyd a hug, linger with Jon and Jon while the girls can be heard singing the national anthem in the van (it was 9/11 at this point) i almost teared up, it was really great. And then we leave, and i pass out right.............now

Last edited by granpaturtle on Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

yeah, basically this was the most amazing show ever...it was great on so many levels. not only was the show itself amazing (especially plenty of paper. holy crap, that song absolutely slays), but also getting a chance to meet everyone in the band, and to hang out with them for a couple hours, wow. i can honestly say, though, that weston, jonathan, chauntelle, sherri and stacy are quite possibly the 5 nicest people i've ever met. as chuck said, if we gre up in the same town, we'd probably be really good friends- they're just all-around amazing people.
also, granpa turtle and i decided to give the band a "welcome to dc" present by giving them fugazi's "the argument." i'd describe the whole event some more, but i'm reaaaaaaly tired.
ricky g
Sea Post King

very freakin' jealous Neutral
todd!
Sea Post King

cool jelly belly beans!
also, i definitely agree, the eisley bunch is made up of some of the nicest people ever. theys the best!
looking forward to seeing your interview thingeemadoo
-todd!

www.myspace.com/seamonstersongs
sing songs and song sings!
Joined: 15 Nov 2003 | Posts: 105 | Location: virginia beach, virginia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:
...and Stacy says "the infamous granpaturtle" needless to say i am pleased.

I should be so lucky to be recognized when I meet Stacy...

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mere::surmise
Sea Post King

ricky g wrote:
very freakin' jealous Neutral

ditto Mad

{visuals}
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

that's andrew (the infamous granpa turle) all the way on the left, chuck behind him to the right, and i'm the one in the middle with thhe red shirt. and i think it's safe to say all of you know who everyone else is.
ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

granpaturtle wrote:
there was some orange haired dude who pumped his fists in the air to every song.

Haha. I saw that kid! He made me laugh. I didn't see you, but I think I remember seeing Chuck. I think he was guy I thought was laughing at me because my friend was dragging me to the merch table right after Boyd gave me a set list. But he probably wasn't laughing at me...I am just paranoid.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

ryan fisher wrote:

that's andrew (the infamous granpa turle) all the way on the left, chuck behind him to the right, and i'm the one in the middle with thhe red shirt. and i think it's safe to say all of you know who everyone else is.

what you can't hear is right after snapping the shot, the little audio piece of Jonathan Clark saying nice and sherri saying "thanks mom" Laughing cos apparently Jonathan Clark is Eisley's tour mom. Watch yourself Kim, competition

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

we felt Eisley was being misrepresented by the tickets...

i can't beleive they signed the back of that guys picture. Who is that guy you ask? Some dude who played tuba in high school in the 80's, the same tuba i used in my high school marching band. Sherri and Chauntelle seemed to get the biggest kick out of the request... i'm so indie Rolling Eyes

pvt.tucker.blue
Lost at Forum

ryan fisher wrote:
i think it's safe to say all of you know who everyone else is.

wait no. who are those other people????

I love my forum Mom
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 1310 | Location: VA, but I don't throw beer at the stage
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

that guy looks like a chubby Arnold from Different Strokes........Gary Coleman, right?

and i know Different Strokes has an apostrophe in the title somewhere, but i don't remember where.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
that guy looks like a chubby Arnold from Different Strokes........Gary Coleman, right?

and i know Different Strokes has an apostrophe in the title somewhere, but i don't remember where.

that's fine, i didn't know it had an apostrophe hehe

he's a little too chubby to look like gary coleman, maybe a bit more like webster...maybe...

ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

isn't it diff'rent strokes? or differ'nt strokes...or something like that. whatever.
vmiprestrain
Sea Post King

it was quite an amazing night...
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 434 | Location: Bridgewater, VA