17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
to the side
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
on the balcony
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
wherever the cute girls/guys are standing ;-)
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 45

endlessdays
Golly, Poster

It depends. If it's a band that has an awesome guitarist, I like to plant myself right in front of him to see the fingerings. But you always get the worst sound right up front. I'm fairly tall, so seeing isn't an issue most of the time. Mosh pits are out.

And... I've been known to wander around clubs like a drunkard looking for that one sweet spot that sounds the best. Like Andrew said- it's usually back by the sound booth.

Valerie
Lost at Forum

I must be up front, so I can see and get good pictures. Unless there's a fabulous person to my right, and an amazing person to my left. Then I'll be content wherever.
I'm always torn between the guitarist and bassist sides, though. Decisions, decisions... Mad

Smile
Joined: 21 Jun 2004 | Posts: 1114 | Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AearTeilu
Sea Post King

I'm pretty much content wherever I can see. it's a tall order (and I'm a short one), but usually solveable. as for standing in the sweet spot, my mentality is that one goes to shows primarily to watch people play. if you already know what they sound like, your brain can fill in the gaps easily and make it pretty dang wondermous, regardless.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

AearTeilu wrote:
as for standing in the sweet spot, my mentality is that one goes to shows primarily to watch people play. if you already know what they sound like, your brain can fill in the gaps easily and make it pretty dang wondermous, regardless.

Hear hear.

I was ten feet away from Ben Folds, and about six feet from Sherri and Stacy at the last two concerts I attended. I plan to be close enough to Matthew Bellamy later this month to touch his feet if the mood should strike me.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

depends on the show for example:

Muse, i love em, don't expect the crowd to get too rowdy, BAM! right up front, i could've spit on matt bellamy, till i had to pee and i went away....those people would've sqozen the pee out of me...

Eisley- we were a little late in the game cos well...we were with the band back stage Very Happy but me and Ry-dog got as close as we physically could for such a grand performance.

Sonic Youth- not a huge fan, didn't care for the crowd, so i hung out on the balcony

Hives- knew the crowd was gonna go ballistic, went up to the balcony.

And there you go, i judge a crowd and how much i love a band and then decide where to go ...usually there are cute girls near by though, but usually they come with me (just look at Ryan Laughing )

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:
depends on the show for example:

Muse, i love em, don't expect the crowd to get too rowdy, BAM! right up front, i could've spit on matt bellamy, till i had to pee and i went away....those people would've sqozen the pee out of me...

Hmm... I'll have to remember to go before the show starts.

Except I'll be standing in line for, like, three hours before hand. Crap!

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Silver Star Rain
Lost at Forum

Umm..Up top. Balcony. I don't care for such a rush of people. I can see better too...mmhm.

And it's so sad to see the world agree
That they'd rather see their faces fill with flies
All when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes.

Joined: 01 Sep 2003 | Posts: 1061 | Location: The Stoned Mountain
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

in the venue.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

wherever i can SEE OVER SOMEONEEEEE

being short kinda sucks a lot

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

If it's Eisley, I try to get to the very front ... that hasn't happened since they played Trees for their Buzz-Oven tour, though. Now it's just impossible to get to the front unless that's the first thing you do.

If it's Prince, it's money-wise impossible for me to get up front, but I have gotten one section back from the pit at a Prince concert(AND I WAS IN THE FRICKIN' FRONT PART OF THAT SECTION BOTH TIMES I SAW HIM THIS YEAR WA-OW!)

If it's Weezer, I don't like being in the pit, but the last time I saw them, the pit was huge and if you weren't there, you were far back. I WANT to be in front ... that would be incredible.

If it's whatever other band, I don't really care where I am unless it's Rahim The Band ... they play amazing sets and have these really incredible jam moments, so I love being as close as possible.

Fin.

ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

hisownshot wrote:
wherever i can SEE OVER SOMEONEEEEE

being short kinda sucks a lot

Haha me too! And that's either right up front or on the balcony.

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

ideally, the front row... but i'm 5'1'', so... at most concerts all the smelly tall people inadvertently end up killing me or at the very least blocking my view. bleh.

i've been front row for a few concerts, despite that, but usually i'm just behind the crazies in the pit.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
Hwin
Vintage Newbie

I just wish I'd gone to enough concerts to answer this. Sad Boo.

muh space
sendoutSOScalls
Laughing Citizen

im a loser and i take a lot into account before i decide where to stand, so its pretty different each show.

for ones where i know the crowd will be rowdy/violent and i dont feel like writing up a will before i go (like my chemical romance or coheed and cambria) i go on the balcony or if im feeling really brave, i go at the back of the crowd

but i like to see whats going on and its hard, im short. i also try to make sure im not behind a really tall person who likes to elbow short girls in the eye( hmph)

for bands like Eisley or straylight run, i know ill be perfectly fine whereever i sit so when i saw them i was up against the barrier right in front. it was incredible.

i just try to go somewhere wheere i know i wont be the only one singing and make a fool of myself, and where i can see whats going on.

plus, depending on how im feeling (sick-ish, tired, whatever). and well..a lot of stuff..

http://www.last.fm/user/Untitled_9/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86438423@N00/
Joined: 13 Jun 2004 | Posts: 1749 | Location: In the courtyard waiting on the breeze to float after me
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

sendoutSOScalls wrote:
im a loser and i take a lot into account before i decide where to stand, so its pretty different each show.

a) you're not a loser

b) I take stuff into account as well,last night I moved around like 10 times during a bands set Laughing