Laughing City
gRegor
the gEek

I'm sure I'm partly re-iterating what people have said in this thread (and some of it is just synthesized from what people have said) but there's the literal dictionary definition of the word "independent", which basically means an artist putting out their own music... then there is the term as it describes a genre - but is not necessarily a genre in itself. I mean, there is indie rap, and indie country, and indie rock, etc.

I think it's mainly the attitude, like a lot of people have said. And I think Eisley definitely has an indie attitude (hah, that sounds so bad... not a snobby attitude; perhaps "perspective" is a better word) and I hope they continue as such.

standingcareful
Golly, Poster

Yeah... technically they are not "indie"
But... the idea of Eisley is very "indie" and grass roots.

Vintage Newbie

i think this argument has been going on for decades just with a different word in contention, in the early nineties it was punk, then it was emo, now its indie. they are all just words used to define a very abstract universal that doesn't actually have a real substance. maybe this makes me sound like a nominalist but im really not. eisley is music, all bands are music, they have things about them that tie them to other music makers before them (both Eisley and J.S. Bach have chords in their music) but also differing qualities sometimes so subtly that one cannot easily put it into words.

it's like jazz. what makes jazz, "jazz"? is it the syncopation? the crazy diminished seven chords? the melodic conventions the singer uses? in a way its all and none. the problem of universals has plagued philosophers since Aristotle and it is an even more vexing problem when it deals with something so insubstantial (but evocative) as art.

so yes, insofar as indie is a genre of music it has to be fair to put eisley in that stylistic set, as evidently the people who use that term and therefore give it meaning, consider them such. the word is nothing without the meaning but unfortunately we use words all the time that have no objective meaning but instead refer to a subjective perspective on the part of the listener. my criteria for "indie" is different than someone elses criteria for "indie" but if "indie" is just a word, and if its meaning isn't set in stone if it has no denotative definition then saying that Eisley is or isn't indie is about the same as saying Eisley is or isn't higgledy-piggledy. they both are meaningless unless we can know what they mean.

there have seriously been doctoral theses written on this, Thomas Aquinas, William Occham, and countless after them have all argued and debated over the use of universal terms and what they mean, even those so simple as the terms "white" and "black".
Ihadanepiphany
Sea Post King

A previous thread on this subject summed things up well. We tried to make new genre names and no one could quite nail it down.
Some of my favorites...
magicore
fairy rock
otherworldy
Or simply...Eisley.
They are a genre in themselves.
standingcareful
Golly, Poster

Yeah... Eisley is the best word for their music.
Golly, Poster

in my own opion Eisley is just Eisley
giant_
Laughing Citizen

KyleRossP wrote:

Indie music is mostly a bunch of crap that very few people want to listen to

Quote of the year 2004. You are an idiot.

WhirlingPeppermint
Golly, Poster

Its interesting to think about the future of the forum. What will happen after the album release?
Andrew
Lost at Forum

Eisley is looking toward big things, big promo, big sale, big tours. Thats why WB pushes them so hard to write and work out stuff for a radio friendly market. Indie is a term that is used to much by people who don't really get the industry. The music business is so much deeper than any normal person can understand. I know, I've been studying the past year to be a business man. It all boils down to the all mighty dollar and how much a band can make. So if it makes you listen to it WB will call it emo, indie, Rock, Art Rock or even speed metal if it makes money it works for them. I say Eisley is Eisley I've never heard anything like them so I cant really generalize them into a single genera.

If I offended you, Tell me. Id love to hear your take on the music industry.
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1479 | Location: Dallas, Texas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yuck Monkey
Sea Post King

theenvycorps wrote:
To me, "indie" encompasses the whole "art over sales" idea, which majors can obviously not subscribe to.

i usually never post, but i had to quote this guy, because that statement is more right on than anything ive ever read on this board.

KyleRossP
Sea Post King

was asked to delete
Last edited by KyleRossP on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I'd really like to hear the band's take on this thread, b/c their opinions are the only ones that matter.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
I'd really like to hear the band's take on this thread, b/c their opinions are the only ones that matter.

thats not really true. everyones opinion matters. just their opinions matter more, as they are the focus of the opinion giving. opinion.
giant_
Laughing Citizen

KyleRossP wrote:
giant_ wrote:
KyleRossP wrote:

Indie music is mostly a bunch of crap that very few people want to listen to

Quote of the year 2004. You are an idiot.

Quote of the YEAR! YESSS!!!!
I would like to accept this award, for Quote of the Year 2004.
I am honored to receive it.
I 'd like to thank everyone involved, inlcuding the myriad of crap-making bands who are called "indie" bands because they suck and nobody listens to them and have nothing else to call themselves.
Most especially though, I'd like to thank the small, slow mind of Giant_, who obviously didn't read, or even understand, what i posted, or else they never would have called me an idiot in the first place.

I read your first post again and I don't see what I missed. You said indie music is "mostly a bunch of crap". You call creativity crap. You call making music for the sake and not for money or a deadline for a cd. Everyone in a band starts off like this, others sign to indie labels and continue, while others go to major ones and have to make a name for themselves before having all creative control. Obviously you are not a musician or you wouldn't have said such a dumb thing.

gRegor
the gEek

mitch, boan, mitch, boan...

Quote:
I 'd like to thank everyone involved, inlcuding the myriad of crap-making bands who are called "indie" bands because they suck and nobody listens to them and have nothing else to call themselves.

mm, so all those people that go to see Death Cab For Cutie and Pedro the Lion are just going, but not listening, eh?

This is really silly. It's all a matter of opinion - everything in this thread . Kyle thinks all "indie" music sucks. Giant doesn't. Big woop. Get over it kids. And let's avoid the generalizations, since all generalizations are false.