Laughing City
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

yoetheterrible wrote:
WHAT! I can't wait to be old and retired, I'd like to skip the years of an unsatisfying career, paying off student loans, mortgages, car payments!! O how I hate filling out paper work...But yah Spending money like Jay-Z, riding around in a swheeet RV, Being old rules!

I guess thats a nice way to look at it.

thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

i'm going to live to be old, providing nothing bad happens to me, or to the whole world. i will love being old, because i'm going to be THE coolest gramps. hahaha.....and think about how things are now, kids my age (me included) dressing in what some might call 'old man chic'. that is, tank tops sweaters with a shirt underneath. and don't deny that it is old man chic, for take a look around you, the oonly people who wear that kind of thing are teenagers, and old men.
i like old people.
alas, i only have one out of four of my grandparents left. its a shame.
but life happens. as does death.
'i can't wait until i die. for when i do, i won't be able to do the thing i was waiting to do.' - me, just now.

and Tyler has BIG old style Texan signs. the look really retro and fun-kay.
awesome.
(how do i know? Wink you shall never know...)
DeathRockBoy
Sea Post King

eh. i moved to Tyler 2 and a half years ago from Staten Island, NY. it was MUCH bigger, very close to NYC (half hour ferry ride).

Tyler, in a nutshell, is for the most part, very christian and very boring. (not that one has anything to do with another.) there's hardly anything to do outside of church youthgroup stuff (hey, if that's your bag, then cool.) and going to the movies. when i moved here, there was one big theater. now there's 2.5. (a gigantic one is being built.) even in the past two years, there's been loads of "progress"(which,i guess means building more stores). but the mall is far too small.i just can't see it blossoming into a major city, as some Tylerites would like to believe it will. the downtown area of Tyler is in shambles.there are like, literally buildings without sides to them. crumbling into themselves. it's as if they just started expanding Broadway south and never looked back. it's completely run-down except for a courthouse and some little five-story office buildings. to me, the downtown area of a city represents the commercial aspect of the city. where banks and stuff are. instead, they just spread Tyler outward.down Broadway, instead of building-up their downtown area first. there's big bank office buildings across the street from Applebees. to me, all of that should be in a big bustling urban downtown area. instead, it's next to fast-food chains and Wal-Marts. it's essentially a large suburban town.

woah. that was long.(sorta negative?)
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

DeathRockBoy wrote:
it's as if they just started expanding Broadway south and never looked back.

WOW. That is so completely true. I never thought about that. Interesting.
I live on S. Broadway. It gets more crowded everyday. And N. Broadway is beginning to look like a ghost town. They really should work on fixin' that end back up. But they would have to expand all the 'roadways' as they call them (More like a huge mass of uneven bricks). I hear they are opening a new coffee shop where the old theatre was. I have a feeling it will become Boyds new home (its so close!).

jdstories
Vintage Newbie

It is true that many old people smell funny, but that is hardly a good reason to stigmatize or marginalize them. They are still people, and, like it or not, experience often breeds wisdom. The tough part for youngins is in recognizing the wisdom when they see or hear it. Often it isn't outright or spoken aloud, but instead is diplayed in action. Try to learn from them if you can. If the only time you are learning is in school, then you will fall behind.

JD

gRegor
the gEek

I was in Garden Valley, TX for a year, which is about 20 minutes from Tyler. We went into Tyler pretty frequently and I must say I rather liked it. It's just the right size and seemed to have enough cool things to pass the time with. People are pretty nice down there, too.
markr
Lost at Forum

the first girl i ever fell in love with lives in tyler,,,oops shes not a girl anymore but just another old person that lives in tyler
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

markr wrote:
the first girl i ever fell in love with lives in tyler,,,oops shes not a girl anymore but just another old person that lives in tyler

I'd KILL to get some more background on that.

JD

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

jdstories wrote:
markr wrote:

I'd KILL to get some more background on that.

JD

yes, markr has spoke of it a few times. long time no hear. how are things?

Eclectic Gypsy
Sea Post King

jamiga wrote:
I hear they are opening a new coffee shop where the old theatre was. I have a feeling it will become Boyds new home (its so close!).

I thought they were opening it in the old A&W resturant, did they change their minds?

DeathRockBoy
Sea Post King

maybe they're two different things? the A&W is gonna be a new starbucks.
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

i live in Tyler.
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

thesinisterpenguin wrote:
i live in Tyler.

i live in london.
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

starnothing wrote:
thesinisterpenguin wrote:
i live in Tyler.

i live in london.

i live.
ZooeyGlass
Lost at Forum

DeathRockBoy wrote:
maybe they're two different things? the A&W is gonna be a new starbucks.

The A&W is gone?... When did that happen? I might have just missed seeing that during my Christmas break... It doesn't really matter, I guess... Tyler could use another Starbucks, I suppose...