Laughing City
gRegor
the gEek

IMPORTANT: IF YOU USE WINDOWS 2000 OR WINDOWS XP YOU SHOULD DO THE FOLLOWING (if you haven't already):

This is a legitimate computer virus (more appropriately called a "worm") threat. Technical documentation at Symantec Security Response's site.

Here's the steps to take, in a bit more simple English Smile

1) Download the W32.Blaster.Worm Removal tool from Symantec's website. Run it and it will search your computer for the virus, and remove it if found. You can also manually search for the virus files: "msblast.exe", "teekids.exe", or "penis32.exe". I'm not sure if the removal tool looks for the last two filenames, so a manual search is a good idea too.

2) If you have an antivirus program, be sure to update it with the most recent virus definitions.

3) Obtain the patch from Microsoft's website: Windows 2000 patch or Windows XP patch. Install the patch.

4) After installing the patch you'll have to reboot your computer. It's a good idea once you reboot to run your antvirus scanner on the whole computer just to make sure.

NOTE: There are additional steps that are recommended; they're a bit more technical (dealing with the registry) and can be found at the technical documentation link above. These instructions I've given should be enough to rid yourself of the Blaster worm virus, though [or prevent you from getting it].

This "virus" (worm) will not necessarily destroy your computer, but it will cause it to randomly reboot (with a 60 second warning), and it works to attack the windowsupdate.com website (preventing users from getting the necessary patches). More importantly, though, the security hole that allows this virus to get on your computer needs to be fixed, because a more malicious virus could take advantage of the security hole later on.

Last edited by gRegor on Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
[[GiRTH]]Groelwyn
Sea Post King

how do you run scandisk with XP?

i can't find the program... but it runs if I don't properly shutdown my computer... well.. it tries to run....

truckpoetry
Golly, Poster

From Windows Explorer, right click on the drive to scan, and select properties.

In the popup select the Tools tab.

Click the first button - Check Now - to check disk for errors. This is essentially the ScanDisk function.

HTH - CHeers!

Cm

If you are IN a band, visit http://www.bandmecca.com/ to sell indie music merch, etc.
If you are THAT bored, visit http://www.truckpoetry.net/
OK, and now I've got http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=truckpoetry

-- "If you all can return to Venus, are you going back?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[[GiRTH]]Groelwyn
Sea Post King

thank you sir Smile

my computer restarts w/o giving me a warning gregor... I thnk there's something else wrong Smile

Teh shane-0
Golly, Poster

ummmm I have XP pro, and it is telling me that I dont have the right os to use teh patch

soulfulleslielou: I just drive this bus, I don't what's under the hood
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gRegor
the gEek

Girth:
It does sound like something other than the virus, especially if you don't have any of those listed filenames on your computer. The update is still important, though, to fix that hole. FYI, MS Scandisk doesn't find viruses, just checks for the appropriate OS files and makes sure the integrity of the hard drive is A-OK. I was referring to the Norton Antivirus scanner (although there are several other virus scanner options)

Shane:
Not sure why that wouldn't run on XP for you; it ran fine for me at work on XP pro. That's not essential to protecting yourself, it's just an easy all-in-one scan-for-the-virus-and-delete-it thing. Check if you have the filenames listed above on your computer. If you do, make sure they're not running currently (Ctrl+Alt-Del -> Task Manager -> Processes). If they're running, click on them and End them. Then delete the files from your comoputer. Apply the MS patch, run antivirus scans again, and you should be good.

Teh shane-0
Golly, Poster

I got it, thanks man

soulfulleslielou: I just drive this bus, I don't what's under the hood
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Java
Sea Post King

arg... i hate getting a virus! i have a stupid pop-up virus right now! argh!

obey....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boyd
Eisleyoid

It makes me feel like we're adding value...
without gRegor, this forum wouldn't even be here.
Thanks gRegor.

Sure am glad those evil virus authors don't target Macs.
We should start a trouble shooting thread for Mac users...
oh, wait...but nobody would ever make any entries.
Wink

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
abductee
Laughing Citizen

I was at the english computer lab at my school the other day.. getting into my e-mail so I could download my paper and work on it..

then, all of a sudden, with no stray clicks at all, the computer turned off (it was one of those new imacs, you know, with the cool screens that you can move all around) ... but there was no.. "would you like to shut down" prompts or anything.. it just went click, and it was off.. I looked to see if I had kicked a plug or something, but I hadn't.. so I turned it on again, and it started up just fine... but I moved to another computer... I didn't need that happening to me while I was working on my computer heh..
Wink

so there's one of my trouble-shooting mac submissions... i'm sure there will be more if I work in that lab enough Razz

Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 1640 | Location: California....