Laughing City

Should I get a Mac?
Yeah!
64%
 64%  [ 24 ]
A what?
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Sure, the world wide web is great...But you make me salivate...
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 37

The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

Hmm. Thinking about getting an eMac. Ideas, suggestions, advice, comments? I've heard good things...But, I have never used one, and I'm afraid I'll get it and not know what to do with it. Laughing

Thanks yaaaawwl.

I still love Eisley a gamahucheing million time better than farting
Joined: 28 Feb 2005 | Posts: 2060 | Location: Dallas, Texas
Squirly
Vintage Newbie

dont do it!
Joined: 15 Jan 2004 | Posts: 5464 | Location: Galt, California
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

bad experience?

Squirly
Vintage Newbie

they just blow for anything other than office use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

They're awesome computers. Unless maybe you want to be a gamer. They're incredible otherwise, and the gaming thing just lacks because not many people make games for them. Apple won my heart in 2000, and their grip has only grown stronger. Macs can do just about anything a PC can now, and then some. Especially for graphic design. And I'm not just saying that, I know from experience. An eMac is a great deal. Ask me if you have any questions Smile

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sully_51
Golly, Poster

If you are going to be doing anything with audio/video, a Mac is MUCH more capable than a PC. Gaming on a Mac is non-existant. Everything else, you'll find works pretty much the same.
Having worked with eMacs, iMacs, and Power Macs, I would suggest you see if you can afford either an iMac or Power Mac. iMac starts at $1300, Power Mac starts at $1500, but doesn't come with a monitor. Both have higher performance than the eMacs (granted, they cost quite a bit more as well). The advantage to the Power Mac over the others is that it is definitely more upgrade-friendly. iMac pulls it's advantage with the built-in LCD screen. Just a few things to consider. Smile

Squirly
Vintage Newbie

uh sound/audio is definitly a PC thing.. just buy your own parts .. not a preasembled PC.

you can buy seperatly and get together an amazing system like my brothers.. costing him 900$ a similar ones that are preasembled and worse cost around 2000$ then he also bought a $600 speaker set-up though.. for fun

sully_51
Golly, Poster

Squirly wrote:
uh sound/audio is definitly a PC thing.. just buy your own parts .. not a preasembled PC.

you can buy seperatly and get together an amazing system like my brothers.. costing him 900$ a similar ones that are preasembled and worse cost around 2000$ then he also bought a $600 speaker set-up though.. for fun

uh sound/audio is NOT a PC thing. I don't care what you're brother got for $900, it won't compare to a G4 or G5 in audio recording/editing. Why do you think recording studios use Macs? I've gone through quite a few studios, and guess what? They all use Macs. As far as your brother's $600 speakers, I think you'll find that they hook up just the same to a PC as they do a Mac. And for the sound card, you'll find you can just as easily buy a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS for a Mac as you can a PC.

The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

Gaming is really no issue with me. I don't got game. Cool

I'm more or less going to be needing it for photo/audio purposes. I'd like to be able to record music onto it, and edit/manipulate digital photos and graphic arts stuff.

The trouble I have upgrading my current PC is that it is going to cost me a small fortune, and I'm not really keen on the thing anyway. It's clumsy, and is constantly crashing.

Thats all I can think of though, really. I'm an art person. So, I'd use it for my arts. Is it better for that? Or what?

sully_51
Golly, Poster

The5thavocado wrote:
Gaming is really no issue with me. I don't got game. Cool

I'm more or less going to be needing it for photo/audio purposes. I'd like to be able to record music onto it, and edit/manipulate digital photos and graphic arts stuff.

The trouble I have upgrading my current PC is that it is going to cost me a small fortune, and I'm not really keen on the thing anyway. It's clumsy, and is constantly crashing.

Thats all I can think of though, really. I'm an art person. So, I'd use it for my arts. Is it better for that? Or what?

YES. If audio recording is something you are going to try to get into, I STRONGLY recommend you try and finance a Power Mac. Any of the G5 lines of desktop Macs will work, but I think you'll find the cheaper eMacs to be a bit slower with encoding and such.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Art/graphic design is an emphatic yes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

It seems like Macs are too pricey for their capabilities. First off, why would anyone need to buy top-of-the-line, when the next best stuff is probably just as capable for your needs. A place like CompUSA can put together a kicka** PC that is going to be a great deal cheaper than whatever Macs are being suggested here for easily half the price, or less.

JD

The5thavocado
Vintage Newbie

Hmm...Im going to let this thread sink into the forum a little more before I decide.

decisions decisions. Although my PC's are always good about 9-12 months before they start crashing and being anal....

jdstories
Vintage Newbie

It might be your software.

JD

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Maintenace is always an issue, but Macs seem to be easier and less problematic to maintain. At least from my experience (which includes using and maintaining dozens of Macs in labs, at work and at home).