Laughing City
kinz
Sea Post King

did the girls ever take singing lessons?
im just interested in this,cos well,they make it look and sound pretty easy,the way they transition between tones and levels

jaytee
Sea Post King

i'm pretty sure they had a vocal coach during the recording of room noises to help with breathing and those kinds of things...

so i guess you could say a hesitant yes?

Protocol Droid

I think Kim has said they've never had any formal training. Maybe some work with some people here and there, I think. Their mother (Kim) is a great vocalist, too. It sounds like they've pretty much found their own paths.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I seem to recall Kim saying the girls had one voice lesson. The teacher tried to get them to learn a more classical style, which they didn't like, so they stopped taking lessons.

Frankly, I don't think they could be improved upon very much. They both have utterly gorgeous tone, and their breath control is very impressive. Stacy's voice hasn't even matured completely--just think what she'll sound like in a few years.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clark
Vintage Newbie

Like that big guy on Everybody Loves Raymond.
robbie
Vintage Newbie

I hope she doesn't mind me quoting her... I asked Kim about it once. Most if it is probably natural talent, Kim has a great voice... but concerning those lessons...

Quote:
After they were signed, they took two sets of voice lessons from the lady that trained Jessica Simpson, and since she knew that Eisley was not going for that sound, she told them that they really didn't need her services because she felt they already had great natural abilities that didn't need to be messed with.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
jaytee
Sea Post King

i wish i had natural abilities that didn't need to be messed with. Crying or Very sad
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, they don't need any help on sounding good. They were just blessed with amazing voices.
chris flynn
Sea Post King

ahhhh...... Next I'm going to hear that they all just picked up their instruments ---last year! I guess it doesn't surprise me though. The Beatles never had a lesson in their lives.

They are naturals... They have a gift...... I can't pick a favorite between the 2.. I honestly thought one of them was doing most of the singing... until I saw them last week.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

chris flynn wrote:
ahhhh...... Next I'm going to hear that they all just picked up their instruments ---last year!

Well, actually... Wink No, I'm not gonna say they're untrained, but I don't think the Eisley kids have spent more time on lessons than they have just experimenting and finding their own style. It helps that Boyd's a drummer, and some interviews I've read say that he showed Chauntelle, Stacy, and Sherri some basic guitar technique back in the day.

Chauntelle started playing guitar for their church when she was sixteen, and I speak from experience when I say that playing in a church really allows a guitarist to reinforce the basics. Plus, it's great regular practice. Wade DuPree, Boyd's brother, has said of Chauntelle that, while she is not a gearhead, "her ear for pitch and tone is so discriminating that she won't play a guitar if it's not set up perfectly to play perfectly in tune on ALL frets up and down the neck." According to Wade, "she definitely knows what she is looking for in sound." It's hard to teach that kind of discriminating taste.

So yes, Eisley is an amalgamation of some basic instruction, years of experimentation, and incredible natural talent. It's hard to guess at which components play the biggest role, though.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

It's nearly impossible to teach someone to only play a guitar that is in perfect tune all over the neck. It's also quite hard to find unless you get a guitar that's been Fietenized.
chris flynn
Sea Post King

saelly... natural talent and having a gift... that special ability to emote.... those are more important than any training--to my way of thinking... training helps you when you are stuck looking for that extra chord... or helps you communicate an idea to your co-musicians...

but having a natural gift --- for melody, as McCartney does... that is VERY rare... that is precisely why I am so in awe of this band... I see God when they play...Indeed, their music glorifies God.....

and as I've said on the board here before, I'm not all that religious.... but their music is an epiphany.... I hesitate to say it, because it is so corny... but listening to them makes me happy and makes me feel closer to God.

jaytee
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
chris flynn wrote:
ahhhh...... Next I'm going to hear that they all just picked up their instruments ---last year!

Well, actually... Wink No, I'm not gonna say they're untrained, but I don't think the Eisley kids have spent more time on lessons than they have just experimenting and finding their own style. It helps that Boyd's a drummer, and some interviews I've read say that he showed Chauntelle, Stacy, and Sherri some basic guitar technique back in the day.

Chauntelle started playing guitar for their church when she was sixteen, and I speak from experience when I say that playing in a church really allows a guitarist to reinforce the basics. Plus, it's great regular practice. Wade DuPree, Boyd's brother, has said of Chauntelle that, while she is not a gearhead, "her ear for pitch and tone is so discriminating that she won't play a guitar if it's not set up perfectly to play perfectly in tune on ALL frets up and down the neck." According to Wade, "she definitely knows what she is looking for in sound." It's hard to teach that kind of discriminating taste.

So yes, Eisley is an amalgamation of some basic instruction, years of experimentation, and incredible natural talent. It's hard to guess at which components play the biggest role, though.

this is so incredibly true.

i joined a church band yesterday, and drug this huge hammond organ out from one of the chapel rooms, and its pretty freakin sweet.

i just know its going to give me even more regular practice.

but then agian... i practice at least 2 hours a day. so.. :-/

Lost at Forum

you and that hammond are going to get married
Joined: 09 Feb 2005 | Posts: 1275 | Location: Greenville, SC