Laughing City
brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

Eisley @ El Salon (I was in a half-dazed state much of the night... it was allergy season for me, and really started to act up the night of the show).

I had mixed feelings about how the Eisley show was going to go. Will it be a flop? Will it be sold out? Will it sound good? Will Boyd play the drums?

My sister and I drove down to the venue, through traffic jams on Quebec roads, which are famous for their potholes, which yes, are the size and depth of pots.

We got there, waited in line. Ah, a line? There was no line at the Copeland show my sister went to this past week at the same venue. Apparently around 40 fans showed up for the Copeland show in Montreal. Copeland! Word was it (Boyd's word), that advanced ticket sales were in the thirties. Compare this to our hockey rivals 6 hours West of us, who had advanced tickets sales in the hundreds... it was shaping up to be not so good for the bands.

Got in, and my sister rushed to the Lovedrug merch table, where their guitarist was playing with a very adorable and cute little girl (if you go to the show, you'll know who this little girl is. Privacy stuff, etc., I won't post details... but she is so darn cute you just want to pinch both her cheeks).

Anyways, Kim recognized me right away as soon as she saw the tube thing she sent my Mos Eisley shirt in. We loaded up on new Eisley merch, and headed for the stage, and poof. nfgluver was there (Christie too). He had a little chat. Ah, LC forum connection!

This girl drove 6 hours over to go see an Eisley show. Now that is a devoted fan.

Apparently Sherri and Chauntelle were sleeping in the van when we arrived. I don't blame em. They don't get the doctor recommended amount of sleep they should, being on this tour and all.

To the show stuff... Pilotdrift. That was interesting. It was different. But they are amazing live. Lots of effects and funky instruments. They were having some technical difficulties, but nothing the sound guys couldn't fix in the matter of minutes.

Then Lovedrug came on. They killed it. I mean... They were amazing live, and I usually don't listen to their type of music too often.

Doesn't he look like someone else famous? (I'm thinkin the CAG on Battlestar Galactica)

Anyways... 2 bands so far sounding amazing live in this small venue. Should be good for Eisley... Around now, there were 120 people in the venue (with max capacity of 250, but if it was 250, it would've been a tight fit).

While they were setting up, you could hear Stacy warming up behind the curtains. Amazing voice. Same for Sherri. Boyd is also all over the place near the stage, with you know what in his hand. (hint: It's black. It's hot. It is loaded with caffeine).

Poof the show. They nail it. They did skip several songs (Lost at Sea and Tree Tops, which were listed on the setlist), but we still had a good 15 songs. They were tired, and probably unsure of the crowd reaction.

Really cute and funny comments by Sherri and Stacy during the set. They're getting better at this. Still a bit of self-deprecating humor, but that went away once they felt the love from the crowd.

They even played Blackened Crown, after numerous people had requested it.

All in all... They sound amazing. Tight? I don't know. They probably sound better than 99% of the bands out there even if the sound tech had a bad day (which he did not today).

After, got autographs, pictures with the band (Weston seems to be a hard one to find). Chauntelle is super nice as everyone has mentionned before. Sherri, Stacy, and Chauntelle are all gorgeous in person.

Also talked to Boyd a bit, and for all you Canadians or peeps who get MuchMusic, Hannah Sung's interview with Eisley is suppose to air within the next couple weeks. Be on the lookout and record away if you can!

Great show. Great band. I hope they come back (Boyd has assured me they will come back).

Ah, front row.

Playing the guitar... Wish I had a DSLR for the show... less noise. Had to use a very long shutter speed and high ISO, because I didn't want to use the flash.

Beautiful

Long and tough tour, and tired from it. I hope he gets a good rest before the next show.

Bad angle to take pics of Jon. But he's there.

It was fun and a great show... it'll be interesting to read Boyd's journal on this one.

Here are several... holding the camera in my hand, with the swivel LCD pointing at us so we can take our own pics because the place was emptying out and there was no room pics:

Wooh... road warrior extraordinaire! (Hmmmmm. Straight face... Confused)

Chauntelle, the best dang guitarist out there! (yes, I'm biased)

I had another pic with Sherri, Stacy, and Chauntelle (who seems to automatically step into photos Smile), but sheesh... I couldn't keep a straight face or anything, and the little girl was there... I waved and made a funny face, and Christie ended up taking the picture when I had my tongue partially out... it was a whack pic! Dang it!

-----------------------
Several more pics:

Joined: 05 Apr 2005 | Posts: 472 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Last edited by brian_nguyen on Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:42 am; edited 10 times in total
bathwater_m
Sea Post King

great review there mr brian..
glad you had a great time.... thanks for sharing it with us

now we want them pics! pics i tell you!
(that is if you're so kind to share them with us =)

edit: opps. i guess you already posted the pics with ur post, but its giving me the 'red Xs'...
Last edited by bathwater_m on Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

^ You don't see the pics?

There are more. Will upload them soon (after some post-processing).

--- Hrm, if anyone else is getting Red X's instead of the pics, please tell me...
Hrmph... must be routing problems... click refresh several times. It may just show up... (or I'll have to upload it to photobucket or a similar online thing).
PsydewaysTears
Sea Post King

They look fine to me. No little red x's, no slow upload, just a perfect array of fresh Eisley pictures hot off the reel.
Golly, Poster

yeah I can see the pics as well. Nice shots by the way. boy oh boy can't wait for they hit my town. Very Happy

"Speak when you are angry - and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret"

www.purevolume.com/247
Joined: 18 Oct 2004 | Posts: 618 | Location: San Antonio, TX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thexrunaway
Golly, Poster

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

Isn't it odd meeting them? I felt so shy even though they say they're all normal just like us.

Nice pictures... I want to see the ones of you with them

"My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end."

-Ayn Rand, Anthem

FrozenEye
Golly, Poster

Awesome pics!! What kind of camera were you using? And what were the exact settings?? I brought a Casio Exlim P700 to the Eisley show in Chicago. I had the iso set at 600, but I had problems with really blurry pictures, and lot's of noise. Any advice in this area would be greatly appreciated.
brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

Yeah it's totally awkward meeting them in person. It didn't help that I wasn't all there (allergies and no sleep).

Using a Canon PowerShot S2. Shutter was around 1/8 - 1/25 depending on the shot (cause the light was sometimes brighter and less so)... ISO @ 400, F3.5. I had to capture pics where they were not moving much, because having them move too much in that tenth of a second means a blurry pic. Also let the camera do the autofocusing (on most cameras it's slight tap on the shooting button thing until the white focus box turns green).

Try not to use the flash, as most of these point & shoot cameras' flashes are so weak, and it will bring the attention mostly to the front of the picture, instead of wherever else it is you want (especially if you're not front row... your pics will end up being back of people's head).

A digital SLR woulda been great... I guess that could be for the next time. Better shots in dark lighting conditions.

But most importantly, enjoy the show. Pilotdrift, Lovedrug, and Eisley are all great.
Last edited by brian_nguyen on Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
BOWi
Sea Post King

I can't wait to ask many questions to my friends who assisted to the show! Was there a lot of french-speaking people?
brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

BOWi wrote:
I can't wait to ask many questions to my friends who assisted to the show! Was there a lot of french-speaking people?

They were probably all bilingual.

Sherri and Stacy were commenting on the fact that they weren't sure if everyone understood them, and the crowd just warmly replied... "We can speak English!". They poked fun at themselves having a French last name and not being able to speak French, and that they wish they could.
BOWi
Sea Post King

Yes... That's a fact... I wonder where their last name come from...

Thanks for the update.

I have this feeling that the band is going to be very tired for the show in NYC tonight...
rockstarcliche
Sea Post King

that was amazing.
the pictures are great.
i sent one of the girls looking for weston and jon...they eventually came out after the toronto show.
great job Very Happy

Igaveflowerstostacy
Golly, Poster

Sexy

"I was on tour in the United States back in '89 and we did a show in Cincinnati. During that show I shouted out, 'It's great to be in Cincinnati!' That was a lie."
-David Bowie
Joined: 17 Mar 2005 | Posts: 649 | Location: Gotham City, Tennessee
brian_nguyen
Sea Post King

BOWi wrote:

I have this feeling that the band is going to be very tired for the show in NYC tonight...

Wouldn't you? But they never show signs of it at all on stage.

-- Maybe it's the coffee... Confused
mymy_d
Sea Post King

hey!awesome review! i was there too and it was a really great show. i hope they'll come back soon.