Make Believe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 36

golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

jdstories wrote:
golly andrew wrote:
Although Blue is the greater album, I voted for Pinkerton.

There's something special about a band's dark age.

I wouldn't say it was the band's dark period as much as it was Rivers' dark period.

JD

Okay, but Rivers = Weezer pretty much.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

I vote Pinkerton. There isn't a song on there I don't enjoy. This is also probably because it was the first Weezer album I ever owned, so I think I'm partial to it, but I do think that the entire album is well written, and like Robbie said, just a good rock album.
Psych0F0x
Sea Post King

Blue album is my fav, Pinkerton comes in second, and imo they kinda went downhill for me with Make Believe, especially that terrible Beverly Hills song. They're still one of my favourite bands, but I liked them more when Matt Sharp was still in the band.
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

I realize that I should've been much clearer in my first post. I meant to have said that I found the blue album polished and impersonal when compared to the raw emotion of Pinkerton. Even though Rivers' quirks do pop up in Pinkerton from time to time, it never has the goofier, or at least more upbeat, feel of the blue album for me. Anyway, they're both great albums...
boone
Vintage Newbie

A lot of people say Make Believe sucks because of "Beverly Hills," but you're doing pretty good when that the weak song on your album. Well, "We're All on Drugs" is my least favorite song, but that's still not doing too bad.

I remember there being a time, pretty much entirely through the nineties, when you would buy an album expecting, maybe, one or two good songs on the whole thing, usually the songs you heard on the radio. Now people whine when there are one or two weak songs on an otherwise good album. We must be in a rather high point in music, and we're getting a little too comfortable about it.

boone
Vintage Newbie

bgburroughs wrote:
I realize that I should've been much clearer in my first post. I meant to have said that I found the blue album polished and impersonal when compared to the raw emotion of Pinkerton. Even though Rivers' quirks do pop up in Pinkerton from time to time, it never has the goofier, or at least more upbeat, feel of the blue album for me. Anyway, they're both great albums...

The strange thing is, a lot of the Blue Album was extremely emotional for Rivers when he was writing those songs. Only two of the songs were written in a happy time for Rivers--"In the Garage" and "Holiday"--and that was because they had just gotten signed. In fact, there are a few quotes floating around where Rivers wonders why people think those songs are funny, because he wrote them about very difficult times in his life.

It seems like when Rivers gets upset, he gets extremely sarcastic, so his more emotional songs seem strangely tongue-in-cheek. Technically, Make Believe contains almost none of the cheekiness that all the previous albums have, which many people have complained about. Ironically, the only two sarcastic songs on the album are the ones people hate the most.

Besides, why can't a happy song be emotional?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Here's an oldie thread I brought back for this:

http://riverscuomo.cinderblock.com/

I wasn't aware that this finally came out until Pitchfork reviewed it the other day.

I am definitely interested in both the music and the book, but the $75 seems a little steep to me at this point. Maybe there will be a second edition that's not hand numbered that will be a lot lower?

Anyone bought this?

I'm wondering if maybe there is more to the package than the picture leads me to believe.

boone
Vintage Newbie

Wow, it's weird to read what I wrote 6 years ago.

I want that book. I don't think $75 is unreasonable, it's a pretty heartily bound, low production book with a 26-song CD. It's expensive, though, so I probably won't get it right away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
magicaljadestorm
Sea Post King

Pinkerton was my favorite
Foolish boy. Don't you know anything about Fantasia? It's the world of human fantasy. Every part, every creature of it, is a piece of the dreams and hopes of mankind. Therefore, it has no boundaries. ~G'Mork
Congratulations
Sea Post King

I guess I'm in the minority, but I voted for Green. It's a nice, solid album that I can listen to over and over for days. It also brings back lots of good memories, since that was a really fun time in my life when it came out.

I'll also add Songs From the Black Hole, the album that never was. Soooo good. Smile

https://soundcloud.com/bobstrikersftbh/songs-from-the-black-hole
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia