Laughing City

Did you fill up your gas tank last night?
Yup.
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
Nope.
58%
 58%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 31

robbie
Vintage Newbie

jamiga wrote:
I filled up today and it cost me $41.00 to fill up (I was dead E.).

---

I'm not really sure what you guys mean about Bush not assisting in the disaster effort. Didn't he leave his ranch as soon as he got word on the extent of the damage? And he got Air Force 1 to fly over Gulf Port on its way to D.C. so that he could see first hand what was going on, then he went straight to D.C. to put together a team of people to get aid to South Central US.
I don't have a TV, but I have been keeping myself informed through the videoclips on CNN.com. I watched the speech Bush gave on what was being done to help the victims. He spoke of 1,700 trucks on their way that very instant with bottled water, ice, and food. Also, tents are being set up to serve as hospitals and 4,000 medical personnel will be on staff. And he said that was just the beginning!
I'm not a big Bush supporter- but I thought he handled the situation a LOT better than 9/11.

Sorry if I do not have my facts right, or if I am extremely naive- or slightly retarded. Please feel free to correct me or slam me into my place. Thanks.

Well, Bush doesn't really do much about it. He released some oil from our reserves, but without the refineries (which are like 90% in Louisiana) it's not going to help much... it was a political move. Nevermind the fact that it's Bush who gave, then pulled the funding to fix and strengthen the levees which would have significantly reduced the damage of this hurricane and saved lives. What do you suppose that money went towards? Oh yeah, probably his ridiculous war... when it could have been used to save american lives. Also, the fact that he had promised for most of his term to not destroy the wetlands, as they provided protection from bad storms such as this... what did he do in late 2003? Allowed the developers to begin developing (reducing) the wetlands. Bush did not cause the hurricane, but his actions left a city that was already in very obvious danger less able to protect itself (not even with this big hurricane, but just in general... everybody knew that city was having issues with it's levees). He doesn't come out as some "determined leader in the face of crisis" on this one... he's trying to cover his own ass.
Joined: 17 Jun 2004 | Posts: 2249 | Location: Kansas City, MO
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Oooooookay, I think this thread has gotten almost political enough to warrant a locking. Let's try to cut back, guys; we're way off-topic.

Gas was $2.99 this morning. I've still got three quarters of a tank, and I aim to make it last. It'll probably last until gas is $3.25. Rolling Eyes

Clark wrote:
gregorydymitrowicz wrote:
I read an article a couple of months ago about the gas situation. I think it was in the news section of Rolling Stones. It said(If I remember correctly) that about 50% of the natural fuels extracted for gasoline are already used up. It also said that the remaining fuel still not extracted from the earth was harder to get, dirtier, and worse for the environment. If this is true, than I wouldn't expect gas prices to drop for a very long period of time.

Eeek. Soon, we'll all be Fred Flinstone-ing it.

Most of the statistics I've read say that we've used up way more than that. Like, within twenty or thirty years, we'll have next to nothing left. We never had much natural fuel to begin with. Gas is just pureed dinosaur anyway, and how common can that possibly be? So yeah. Nobody's looking for solutions to this problem (at least not in the government), so within a few decades we'll be completely out of our main source of energy for transportation and will have set up no alternatives.

Did anybody hear about how Willie Nelson has had his diesel tour buses altered to run on vegetable oil? Best idea ever. You can pick up five gallons from any buffet or Chinese restaurant, and they'll give it to you free. Supposedly it's pretty clean, too.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
robbie
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Oooooookay, I think this thread has gotten almost political enough to warrant a locking. Let's try to cut back, guys; we're way off-topic.

Gas was $2.99 this morning. I've still got three quarters of a tank, and I aim to make it last. It'll probably last until gas is $3.25. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, sorry. I'm done ranting. I've just been reading the news all morning and I'm getting passionate about it. Sometimes I really hate this country's politics. But more than that... I'm hating these gas prices.... huh? see how I brought it back to topic? No? okay. I haven't even started my van in a couple weeks because the battery is dead. I got gas for $2.17 last time (after a $.27 discount, thanks HyVee gas station)... today is going to be awful since I have to drive all over missouri and kansas.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

robbie wrote:
today is going to be awful since I have to drive all over missouri and kansas.

Aww. Come say hi if you're in Springfield!

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
robbie
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
robbie wrote:
today is going to be awful since I have to drive all over missouri and kansas.

Aww. Come say hi if you're in Springfield!

I would, but I'm not going that far. Kansas city -> independence -> raymore -> overland park -> lee's summit -> raymore -> kansas city

that's ridiculous.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

robbie wrote:
I would, but I'm not going that far. Kansas city -> independence -> raymore -> overland park -> lee's summit -> raymore -> kansas city

that's ridiculous.

D'oh! That is ridiculous. Are they at least reimbursing you for gas?

Smokemonster
robbie
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
robbie wrote:

that's ridiculous.

D'oh! That is ridiculous. Are they at least reimbursing you for gas?

Nope. This is for job interviews and several little jobs I have today and to visit my grandma. No reimbursement at all. My birthday is in a few days though, so i'm hoping to collect some birthday money when I go home tonight.
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
jdstories wrote:
they threatened to raise the prices because of Katrina

Why, exactly, is this a valid reason? The war in Iraq, I can understand, but we do have other port cities not affected by the hurricane, and I doubt a few hundred extra miles on a tanker's journey really warrants a $0.20+ gas hike.

It's $2.89 here in the third largest city in Missouri. I'm just about ready to buy a scooter, dead serious.

I meant to answer this earlier, but I forgot. I am still behind from my last absence from the forum.

It isn't just the journey or the ports, it is also the coastal refineries and the off-shore oil rigs that are being effected by the storm. This may be the only valid price hike we have seen in several years.

JD

MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

jdstories wrote:
Saellys wrote:
jdstories wrote:
they threatened to raise the prices because of Katrina

Why, exactly, is this a valid reason? The war in Iraq, I can understand, but we do have other port cities not affected by the hurricane, and I doubt a few hundred extra miles on a tanker's journey really warrants a $0.20+ gas hike.

It's $2.89 here in the third largest city in Missouri. I'm just about ready to buy a scooter, dead serious.

I meant to answer this earlier, but I forgot. I am still behind from my last absence from the forum.

It isn't just the journey or the ports, it is also the coastal refineries and the off-shore oil rigs that are being effected by the storm. This may be the only valid price hike we have seen in several years.

JD

He's right. Roughly 95% of the oil infrastructure in the Gulf is out of comission due to a lack of power and/or flooding. Also, the Mississippi River is one of the major oil distribution routes in the country, and much of the piping have been damaged/destroyed.

Fuel shortages are already beginning to happen. Many of the gas stations near my house are out of gas, and those that do have gas are charging $3 a gallon now (which is pretty bad considering I live near Dallas).

Flickr
Transvaal IV - Myspace : Virb
Deep Thoughts About Shallow Subjects
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
emma m saves the day
Lost at Forum

im so mad about the gas prices going up, i understand why they did, but it fell at a time when my car is deciding to hate me and now only getting 22 miles to the gallon, (which is not good for a bug) so yeah... but we are taking it to get checked out...

yesterday they were 3 19 here, but i haven't been outside yet. i will know after i go to tennis and even sooner if i have to get my brother lunch...

pa is running out of gas, so its getting suoer expensive here. closer to pitsburgh i heard it was 3 59.

RIP Ben Martin, 11.4.87 - 2.16.06... i miss you.
Joined: 25 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1486 | Location: washington pa!
coffee-n-art-junkie
Sea Post King

as obese as people are today and as high the gas prices are everyone should just start riding bicycles. plus, it would help the environment.

*hugs tree*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lazerbith
Sea Post King

gas is 3.60 here in indiana.
i dunno..
complaining does nothing.
start investing money to buy those futuristic cars that
run off butter or whatever.
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

after this weekend i'm going to start riding my motorcycle the 35 or so miles to work everyday. my sister has a jetta tdi (diesel), it gets like 45 miles to the gallon. she's laughing right now :(
looneycustom
Golly, Poster

I had to stop driving my truck Sad

I filled up the Charger not too long ago, and now I'm down to about a quarter of a tank. I dont wanna fill up with prices like they are, and I can only carry so much stuff on my bike.

I'm one up on Marley
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 819 | Location: Huntsville, Tx
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

i dont drive and i am glad because i dont need to pay for gas except for what my brother makes me fork over for driving me to school