17%  [ 13 ]
i am over 21 adn believe the drinking age is unfair
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 75

ali
since 1979

hisownshot wrote:
The thing is that laws are meant to protect the safety and health of citizens in America, we have freedom, as long as it doesn't infringe of the freedome of someone else.

I think by setting a drinking age, none of that is really covered. When you are 21, you are still able to ruin your safety, health, and infringe on someones rights.

So, that being said... I think we shouldn't even have a drinking age, but if you get drunk and do something that dangers someone elses life or infringes on their rights (i.e. drunk driving), THAT should be against the law, as it already is. If we didn't have a drinking age, alcohol wouldn't be such a big deal, because it would be like drinking anything else.

I don't drink, and I'll probably never be a heavy drinker, but if someone else wants to do it- I don't care, as long as it doesn't interfere with MY health or safety.

wtg, carrie Smile

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

my favorite blue law:
In Dorchester County Maryland the sale of beer is prohibited between the hours of 12am and 2am.

...what!? 2 hours!? that's stupid...

boone
Vintage Newbie

There are still dry towns in Oregon. You can't buy alcohol there.
giant_
Laughing Citizen

TheAntrider wrote:
Libel is written intent to defame someone's character. Saying that Jesus drank isn't libelous. Maybe to some, but the intent of the poster was not to say "Jesus had keggars, and wound up on his bathroom floor every night."

Haha, from what I understood being raised in the Catholic church Jesus drank. Every service we "re-live" the last supper which includes the blessing of the bread and wine. I have had numourous teachers who have said he has drank so I said so. From searching online I see that it is a very debateable subject. What I'm sure of is that Jesus didnt do any keg stands. But it seems like everyone has moved one from my comment but I felt I should come in and say my 2 cents, this isnt my thread don't want to sidetrack.

Florencia
Laughing Citizen

ali wrote:
I voted "unfair," but I think a more appropriate term would be "impractical" or "unrealistic."

Also, Texas alcohol laws are archaic, puritanical and draconian. If someone did a study, they would find that they do more harm than good.

thank you...would you marry me?

ok, no, wait..what i meant to say was you said everything i wanted to say way better than i would have ever been able to.

and i think same thing applies to a whole bunch of other social problems.

and texas dry counties ARE archaic...OMG!

flöflö*

An apt and true reply was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride.
'What thou meanest by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, whilst thou who dost it with a great fleet art styled emperor."
Noam Chomsky
Joined: 01 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1738 | Location: in this fake plastic world
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenC
Golly, Poster

I don't drink beer, I can't stand the taste but i enjoy an Smirnoff now and again expecially the Green Apple and Watermelon Twisters.
dial r for revenge
Golly, Poster

i'm from england, the drinking age is 18+ here. i don't actually drink, but the funny this is.. here it's such an accepted thing that teenagers will get into alcohol.. maybe not accepted by the goverment, but by most people. by the time i was 14, 15, pretty much every one of my friends was drinking, including me. it was so easy to get hold of it. i stopped because i suddenly realised how dumb everyone was being, but i still wonder do most kids drink underage because they like the taste or because they think it makes them look cool doing something illegal? do they really like the taste of beer anymore than they like pepsi or whatever? a mystery to me.
"dial" in Welsh means "revenge". If a welsh speaker enters an English phone booth, having paid the coin/phone card the next command the l.e.d screen throws at the customer is "revenge!" thus setting the tone for a confrontational conversation.
(thank you mogwai you are all nuts.)
Joined: 04 May 2004 | Posts: 564 | Location: bristol, england
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:

Interestingly, Jack Daniels is produced in a dry county.

JD

starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

i think if people were younger when they are first allowed to drink, then the parents still have some control over hem and hopefully the kid will leanr to drink responsibily
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

hisownshot wrote:
So, that being said... I think we shouldn't even have a drinking age, but if you get drunk and do something that dangers someone elses life or infringes on their rights (i.e. drunk driving), THAT should be against the law, as it already is. If we didn't have a drinking age, alcohol wouldn't be such a big deal, because it would be like drinking anything else.

good point, i agree with what you're saying. if you're doing something that doesn't infringe on someone else's rights then why should it be illegal? But let me play devil's advocate for a second, what about seat belt laws? Not wearing your seatbelt does not endanger or violate the rights of anyone but the law saves 100's of lives each year.

back on topic, i think there should be a min. drinking age even though it's almost trivial to get around it at least something is in place to make it a little bit harder. I don't think the fact that alcohol gets your drunk is why the law should be there but the fact you can become addicted to alcohol is the important part. 21 is really young to me but i would hope that greater then half the 21 year olds out there know when something you do for fun is becoming a habit and nearing dependence. I don't think a 16 year old would make that observation as easily.

DISCLAIMER: i know in reality many many people of all ages do not realize when they are addicted to something but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

eh-D
Sea Post King

I'm 28 and I think that the 21 drinking age is fair. I do however think that there are people under 21 who can drink responsibly, inversely there are people over 21 who cant.

I totally agree with the fact that Texas alcohol laws are terrible. The TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) is as close the mob as you can get.
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

eh-D wrote:
I totally agree with the fact that Texas alcohol laws are terrible. The TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) is as close the mob as you can get.

no argument there. i was in july alley ( a local bar ) when they just showed up one night, the whole place had to shutodown while they did their inspections. I don't know what they were looking for but they were shining their flashlights into all the bottles then they left. I don't know if that is even legal to show up and search a private establishment without permission from a judge but they sure as heck did it.

boone
Vintage Newbie

dial r for revenge wrote:
here it's such an accepted thing that teenagers will get into alcohol.. maybe not accepted by the goverment, but by most people.

You'll hear that in most places. It's kind of a defeatist attitude, though, I think. A lot of people say something like, "Well, they're just going to do it anyway," as an excuse to legalize something, or at least make the laws less restrictive. But if you took that thought and applied it to something else illegal, say, murder. There are far too many murders in this country, and there's not a lot we can do to prevent it, so does that mean we soon loosen legislation on murders? Harsh example, maybe.

eh-D wrote:
I'm 28 and I think that the 21 drinking age is fair. I do however think that there are people under 21 who can drink responsibly, inversely there are people over 21 who cant.

I could see that, but you can't make a law to take that into account, unless it became a test like getting your driver's license, but that would just give the government more ability to prohibit alcohol use. I'm not saying that's what you proposed to do, just something that popped into my head. You'll probably find that the number of responsible drinkers under 21 (or under 25, for that matter) are very small.

jdstories wrote:
boone wrote:

Interestingly, Jack Daniels is produced in a dry county.

JD

Wasn't Jack Daniel's founded by a 16-year old boy? Oddly appropriate.

ali
since 1979

Florencia wrote:
ali wrote:
I voted "unfair," but I think a more appropriate term would be "impractical" or "unrealistic."

Also, Texas alcohol laws are archaic, puritanical and draconian. If someone did a study, they would find that they do more harm than good.

thank you...would you marry me?

You quote Chomsky in your sig - of course I'll marry you Wink

dial r for revenge
Golly, Poster

chasd00 wrote:
....what about seat belt laws? Not wearing your seatbelt does not endanger or violate the rights of anyone..

not technically true. i guess you guys never had that "think" tv ad in the states where the teenager not wearing his seatbelt in the backseat slams into the front seat in a car crash and crushes his mother to death.. damn those think ads are creepy. the point is that though it's much more rare, a handful of people every year do actually get killed because of another passenger not wearing a seatbelt. sucks, huh?

back on topic though

hisownshot wrote:

that's a nice idea, but i'm not sure it would actually work out. the fact of the matter is that whether or not teenagers are easily able or allowed to get alcohol, a lot of them just seem to like getting intoxicated, and, at least in theory, the best way to prevent a lot of intoxicated kids causing trouble (and let's face it, they will in one way another, whether it's getting into a fight or drunk driving) is to stop the younger and presumably more irresponsible people drinking in the first place. i know that there are a lot of kids who can drink responsibly, but a hell of a lot of them can't and that's a big problem. it's fine having laws that punish people who do drink irresponsibly, but by the time they're being dealt with, they've already caused the trouble and someone could be injured or dead, so really you need laws that prevent that happening in the first place. i do think 21+ seems a bit excessive but maybe 18+ is closer to a fair limit after all. and of course, there are still going to be incidents because we all know that it's not just youths that commit crimes when drunk, but at least putting a limit on kids getting alcohol (setting aside the fact that i don't think the laws are being enforced well enough right now, at least in my country) should at least prevent a lot of incidents.

someone really needs to get me statistics about this stuff (stuff about crimes under the influence and age groups and stuff) so i can see if i'm dead wrong here.

"dial" in Welsh means "revenge". If a welsh speaker enters an English phone booth, having paid the coin/phone card the next command the l.e.d screen throws at the customer is "revenge!" thus setting the tone for a confrontational conversation.
(thank you mogwai you are all nuts.)
Joined: 04 May 2004 | Posts: 564 | Location: bristol, england
Last edited by dial r for revenge on Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>