Laughing City
cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

hurrayforpie wrote:
I just read Ender's Game over thanksgiving break. I don't usually go looking for sci-fi, but my friend let me borrow it, and i figured his recommendation was as good as any. It was short and a pretty easy read, but now I really want to read the rest of the series. Are the next books anywhere as good as the first?

I LOVE Orson Scott Card and the Ender's Game series. I didn't think I liked Sci Fi until I read those books.

The rest of the series is great, I would reccomend reading them, but it gets weirder and more science fiction-ish. Set on alien worlds with weird creatures and such. But it is still amazing and the character development is incredible. I actually only read up to Speaker For the Dead (which I LOVED..possibly more than Ender's Game, by the way). And I have been meaning to pick back up and read Xenocide and Children of the Mind, but I haven't got to it yet.
But if you really liked "Ender's Game" I would suggest "Ender's Shadow" next. It is a companion book to Ender's Game which is written from Bean's point of view. And then there is a whole series that follows after that book about what happens to Bean (Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow of the Gaint) .
Bean is probably my favorite character so that side of the story is very exciting to me.

Muad'Dib
Sea Post King

Dead Clown wrote:
Dune
(You'll never look at water the same.)

Such a great book. I never got around to reading the others in the series though - are they as good?

jdstories
Vintage Newbie

UberDrive wrote:
jdstories wrote:
UberDrive wrote:

O rly? Killer clowns? Werespiders? Slow mutants? Vampires?

Trust me, without the psychological aspect, they were all basically harmless, especially the clown. I suppose the dust bunnies in Dolores Claiborne would make your list also?

JD

I own but haven't read Dolores Claiborne Sad.

There's some savage physical trauma inflicted by those fellas, though. And how could I forget the lobstrosities!

Sure, but they were still not much more than plot devices.

JD

UberDrive
Sea Post King

jdstories wrote:
Sure, but they were still not much more than plot devices.

JD

I agree that lobstrosities were nothing more than "native wildlife", but, I mean, the Vampies in "'Salem's Lot" and the Clown in "It" were central pieces of the plot. I mean, there's definitely a major psychological aspect dealing with the growth of the main characters (good guys, so to speak), but there's definitely some visceral physical horror there. It does seem like people oversimplify his work and dismiss it as "just horror", which irks me.

In any case, everyone check out DT Wink.
The_Bad_Philosopher
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorites.

it was definitely good, no argument there. But, my favorite J.D. Salinger book is by far Franny and Zooey. And a couple of the stories from Nine Stories were great too, like the Laughing Man. I loved that one.

Last edited by The_Bad_Philosopher on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nappycricket
Sea Post King

philip k. dick novels are the best.......
Dead Clown
Sea Post King

nappycricket wrote:
philip k. dick novels are the best.......

how many movies have been made from that wonderful, wonderful man's work?

And let me be the first to say:

SHERRI POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bjaurelio
Sea Post King

The_Bad_Philosopher wrote:
After reading Gulliver's Travels I wanted to read anything else by Jonathan Swift

.....until I read A Modest Proposal and I couldn't decide what to think of that.

a modest proposal is amazing. swift is one of the greatest satirists ever.

as far as my book recommendations, not as literary, but here it goes:
  1. everything by soren kierkegaard (starting suggestions: fear and trembling, works of love, fragments, judge for yourself/for self examination)
  2. revenge of conscience by j. budziszewski
  3. the pursuit of god by a.w. tozer
  4. blinded by might by cal thomas and ed dobson
  5. c.s. lewis fiction (had to throw in something literary, and his fiction is far better than the rest of his works)

The paradox of faith is this, that the individual is higher than the universal, that the individual (to recall a dogmatic distinction now rather seldom heard) determines his relation to the universal by his relation to the absolute, not his relation to the absolute by his relation to the universal.
-Soren Kierkegaard, Fear and Trembling
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

cryptictonight wrote:
hurrayforpie wrote:
I just read Ender's Game over thanksgiving break. I don't usually go looking for sci-fi, but my friend let me borrow it, and i figured his recommendation was as good as any. It was short and a pretty easy read, but now I really want to read the rest of the series. Are the next books anywhere as good as the first?

I LOVE Orson Scott Card and the Ender's Game series. I didn't think I liked Sci Fi until I read those books.

The rest of the series is great, I would reccomend reading them, but it gets weirder and more science fiction-ish. Set on alien worlds with weird creatures and such. But it is still amazing and the character development is incredible. I actually only read up to Speaker For the Dead (which I LOVED..possibly more than Ender's Game, by the way). And I have been meaning to pick back up and read Xenocide and Children of the Mind, but I haven't got to it yet.
But if you really liked "Ender's Game" I would suggest "Ender's Shadow" next. It is a companion book to Ender's Game which is written from Bean's point of view. And then there is a whole series that follows after that book about what happens to Bean (Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow of the Gaint) .
Bean is probably my favorite character so that side of the story is very exciting to me.

I really enjoyed Ender's Game which I first read because of a friend's strong and constant recommendations, but he also said that the rest of the series was weak by comparison, except for one book. I don't remember which book. My friend and I are very much alike in ceratin ways so I tend to go with his recommendation. Anyways, I think you mean Ender's Shadow, rather than Shadow of the Giant.

JD

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

jdstories wrote:
cryptictonight wrote:
hurrayforpie wrote:

I really enjoyed Ender's Game which I first read because of a friend's strong and constant recommendations, but he also said that the rest of the series was weak by comparison, except for one book. I don't remember which book. My friend and I are very much alike in ceratin ways so I tend to go with his recommendation. Anyways, I think you mean Ender's Shadow, rather than Shadow of the Giant.

JD

Speaker of the House was just as good as Ender's Game IMO. The biggest trouble with the book is that is takes place 3000 years after the events of Ender's Game.

But yes, I have heard the series progressively goes downhill, much like Dune.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jdstories
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
jdstories wrote:
cryptictonight wrote:
hurrayforpie wrote:

JD

Speaker of the House was just as good as Ender's Game IMO. The biggest trouble with the book is that is takes place 3000 years after the events of Ender's Game.

But yes, I have heard the series progressively goes downhill, much like Dune.

Ugh. Speaker for the Dead.

JD

nihilo_sanctum_estne
Sea Post King

i hate it when the movie dune is in my chocolatey drink.
And love all you have left like your boy used to be
Long ago wrapped in sheets warm and wet"
--neutral milk hotel
The_Bad_Philosopher
Sea Post King

bjaurelio wrote:

everything by soren kierkegaard (starting suggestions: fear and trembling, works of love, fragments, judge for yourself/for self examination)

I love kierkegaard, I'm in the middle of reading fear and trembling right now.

they are two different kinds of existentialists, but if you haven't already, you should read Albert Camus' The Plague. It's brilliant. My favorite character is the Nihilist.....errr....the spaniard.

cryptictonight
Lost at Forum

jdstories wrote:
I really enjoyed Ender's Game which I first read because of a friend's strong and constant recommendations, but he also said that the rest of the series was weak by comparison, except for one book. I don't remember which book. My friend and I are very much alike in ceratin ways so I tend to go with his recommendation.
JD

I heard that by Children of the Mind, it has kind of gone downhill. It gets progressively weirder and strays from the original appeal. But I agree, Speaker for the Dead is just as great. It is a bit of a shock at first because the setting is so different... but if you plow through the first few chapters and allow yourself to adapt to the setting, it is really a terrific and engaging novel.

jdstories wrote:
Anyways, I think you mean Ender's Shadow, rather than Shadow of the Giant.

Ender's Shadow is the first companion book and then I mentioned Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow of the Giant because those are the 2nd and 3rd books in the "shadow" series. These books get increasingly political...like intense analysis of war tactics and stuff. But I still really enjoyed them. I haven't read the last one yet...

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Speaker of the House

hehehe Cool

jdstories
Vintage Newbie

cryptictonight wrote:

jdstories wrote:
Anyways, I think you mean Ender's Shadow, rather than Shadow of the Giant.

Ender's Shadow is the first companion book and then I mentioned Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow of the Giant because those are the 2nd and 3rd books in the "shadow" series. These books get increasingly political...like intense analysis of war tactics and stuff. But I still really enjoyed them. I haven't read the last one yet...

I've never before heard of Shadow of the Giant.

cryptictonight wrote:

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Speaker of the House

hehehe Cool

Yeah, what is this? Congress?

JD

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>