Laughing City
horseslam
Sea Post King

mermaidentwinedshrubbery wrote:
You became atheist because of the corruption of Christians? What does that have to do with anything?

If one chooses to become atheist, I think it should be for the sole reason, and I'm just throwing this out there, that one does not believe God...

Don't you think you should base your decision on what you believe, and not what others actions entail?

I was going to say the exact same thing. You can't deny something just because of what others who believe in it do/say. If you're going to deny something, you deny it for your own inner reasons. Not someone elses actions.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:

wwjd?

\

no, WWBD

What? Where? Boyd Dupree? Laughing Laughing

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

granpaturtle wrote:
boyd wrote:

wwjd?

\

no, WWBD

What? Where? Boyd Dupree? Laughing Laughing

Ha.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mcrew117
Sea Post King

1. even though eisley isn't a christian band, i think the christian store is just supporting them because they are indeed christians. (in fact i bought my copy of at a christian store cuz i was shopping for some stuff and happened to see it and just grabbed it, so it was quite convenient for me Very Happy ).

2. i don't think you should turn away from religion b/c of corrupted people. no church is perfect b/c obviously we are human and we are all destined to screw up.
end MORAINE
Golly, Poster

What kind of things do you get at a Christian store?

Veggie tales, psalms 8-12, french bread?

Stumbled upon a slipstream of stubble and rash urine stains, where the warming of marrow drew comfort from this blanketless train. an insulin coma, baring the mark of tremula metacarpi; an executrix at play in the cargo of thanos
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

yeah, I think it's weird not to listen to Christian music just because it's Christian.
Not, that you're weird if you do that... it's weird to me
does that make sense?

Like, I listen to Modest Mouse, and they're definitely not Christian
I like it though, it's good music
And I even like their lyrics...very thought provoking,
Even if I don't agree.

Why is a Christian store bad?
They're just catering to a group of people
Just like golf stores cater to golfers

Why is Christianity so offensive?
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

end MORAINE wrote:
What kind of things do you get at a Christian store?

Veggie tales, psalms 8-12, french bread?

Laughing
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
LeslieAnnLevine
Lost at Forum

[quote="Ihadanepiphany"]
Lantz wrote:
Quote:

did i not just say that that was only one reason? i believe in evolution and logic, as in: there is a logical reason for everything.

dang people; dont throw my words out of proportion.

C.S. Lewis was an atheist for many years or at least had many atheistic tendances. His mentor Kirkpatrick added to his atheism. It was only after the guidance of J.R.R. Tolkien and George Barfield(The inklings) that Lewis was lead, through reason and logic, to believe that there truly is a God. Lewis claims his belief through this reason and logic not by some huge emotional experience. I fear that this is the problem with most of Christian society today. Many Christians claim the faith because of one huge emotional experience that made them feel as though they should serve God, but they may not truly understand His existence and power. The greatest argument for God is perhaps "general revelation" which basically mean you can't go outside and really look at nature and you still believe that it all happened because of some random combination of molecules and particles. There has to be a creator. This creator is not just anyone or some random distant being, but a loving God who is intimately involved with His creation. God could have made the world black and white. He could have taken all aesthetic qualities away, but he chose to let us enjoy the beauty of His creation because His purpose in creating us was so He could live in communion and fellowship with us. Yes aesthetics can fill you with an emotional feeling and that is the point, but be challenged to test your faith whether you are Christian or atheist or whatever. Be challenged to test your faith through reason and logic not just by an emotional high.
That was so well put. Now, if there were just more books with this kind of rationalizing, people might actually stop, and appreciate a christian bookstore. Also, for anyone who may be slightly uneducated when it comes to our good Lord, This (http://www.jcpm.com/thebible.htm) website sure made a lot of sense to me, however, once again, this is just in my very own opinion.
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 | Posts: 1219 | Location: here, there, everywhere.
Bartman
Golly, Poster

Well, looks like Boyd was the only one who "got" my little joke about "Christian Bookstores". Yes, I know very well what a Christian Bookstore is, it's just sort of a long running "insider joke" to philosophise of the correctnes of the terminology in calling it a "Christian Bookstore". A more correct name could be "Christians' Bookstore" making the "Christian" part an adjective instead of a noun as its currently spelled.

Oh, and hi Boyd! Long time no see. I've driven through Tyler 2-3 times in the past several months doing gigs, but every time I was passing through, y'all were out touring, so I couldn't stop by and say hi in person. Well, some day I'm sure we'll meet again, hopefully it will be next time Eisley is playing in the Dallas or southern Oklahoma area. I haven't been able to come to any concerts recently. Always a scheduling confilct when I'm already booked for something else when Eisley is playing.

ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

I really hate labelling things as "Christian" or "Secular".

I woke up this morning and put on my Christian shoes and brushed my teeth with my Christian tooth brush. Then I rode in my secular car down the Christian Road to the secular grocery store.

I think everyone agrees that the last paragraph is totally ridiculous, but for some reason we've convinced ourselves that it's ok to label certain things this way and not others. It's all illogical to me. I would never deny that I'm a Christian and that my faith impacts the music I write, but I would also never label my band a Christian band. I think there are a lot of bands that consist of Christian members who are placed under the "Christian Band" label for no reason at all. Some musicians do use their music and bands to preach to people and evangelize and worship God, others do this in their personal lives. There are a lot of people who won't listen to "Christian" music and there are a lot of Christians who don't listen to "secular" music. Forcing a label on a band that doesn't want it cuts off one group or the other from potential listeners.

This might not make any sense, I have a million thoughts going through my head right now and I feel like this is just turning into a rant.

"even on the drearest day
a loving hand won't turn away
God's greatest gift to man
how sweet is love"

http://www.myspace.com/ambientgecko

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Joined: 24 Dec 2003 | Posts: 1334 | Location: Fort Worth is my home... I'm at OU now though
gRegor
the gEek

ambientgecko wrote:
I really hate labelling things as "Christian" or "Secular".

I woke up this morning and put on my Christian shoes and brushed my teeth with my Christian tooth brush. Then I rode in my secular car down the Christian Road to the secular grocery store.

"And you only drink milk from a Christian cow" - Steve Taylor

Yeah, I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed in this thread. It saddens me to see Christians taking the "be in the world, but not of it" concept to the point of creating their own sub-par sub-culture in order to be "safe". I could go on, but I won't. At least right now. Smile

Bartman
Golly, Poster

gRegor wrote:
"And you only drink milk from a Christian cow" - Steve Taylor

YES!!! Steve Taylor quotes. "Guilty by Association" from his second CD, "Meltdown". For anyone who doesn't know about Steve Taylor, he's a very busy guy. Wrote lots of songs and released most of his CDs in the '80s, and many songs he wrote for other bands, and has been producer for a few bands like Sixpence None the Richer, and currently playing in a theater near you is his latest film, "The Second Chance".

Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Ihadanepiphany wrote:
Lantz wrote:

did i not just say that that was only one reason? i believe in evolution and logic, as in: there is a logical reason for everything.

dang people; dont throw my words out of proportion.

C.S. Lewis was an atheist for many years or at least had many atheistic tendancies. His mentor Kirkpatrick added to his atheism. It was only after the guidance of J.R.R. Tolkien and George Barfield(The inklings) that Lewis was lead, through reason and logic, to believe that there truly is a God. Lewis claims his belief through this reason and logic not by some huge emotional experience. I fear that this is the problem with most of Christian society today. Many Christians claim the faith because of one huge emotional experience that made them feel as though they should serve God, but they may not truly understand His existance and power. The greateast argument for God is perhaps "general revelation" which basically mean you can't go outside and really look at nature and you still believe that it all happened because of some random combination of molecules and particals. There has to be a creator. This creator is not just anyone or some random distant being, but a loving God who is intimately involved with His creation. God could have made the world black and white. He could have taken all aesthetic qualities away, but he chose to let us enjoy the beauty of His creation because His purpose in creating us was so He could live in communion and fellowship with us. Yes aesthetics can fill you with an emotional feeling and that is the point, but be challenged to test your faith whether you are Christian or atheist or whatever. Be challenged to test your faith through reason and logic not just by an emotional high.

that was so candy coated, it was like comparing Thomas Jefferson(Atheist) to Hitler(Christian).

see? doesnt make you want to like Christians huh? so using words like "guidance" and "lead" as if he was some type of bumbling fool is really condescending to atheists. next time choose your words more prudently.

as for previous comments saying i didn't become and atheist for the right reasons is false. i became atheist because i believe in the Evolutionary Theory, not some words in a book that have been passed down so far that you would really think thats how it came out to begin with? ever played the game Telephone?

my point is, whatever you believe in, believe in it with all you got.
otherwise whats the point?

now can we please let this thread die!? Smile

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Lantz wrote:
as for previous comments saying i didn't become and atheist for the right reasons is false. i became atheist because i believe in the Evolutionary Theory, not some words in a book that have been passed down so far that you would really think thats how it came out to begin with? ever played the game Telephone?

my point is, whatever you believe in, believe in it with all you got.
otherwise whats the point?

now can we please let this thread die!? Smile

I just want to say that one Pope John Paul II endorsed evolution (stating something along the lines that it would be God as the architect of such things. Not quite intelligent design). I'm not saying the Pope was/is a perfect role model for religion, but he DID have some good thoughts.

But yeah ... What was this about?

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
gRegor
the gEek

Using the words "guidance" and "lead" do not indicate someone is a bumbling idiot, nor is it necessarily condescending. Indeed, a bumbling idiot - arguably - cannot even be guided or led.

I certainly don't think it was condescending in the context it was used, but that's just my two cents.

Yeah Bartman, Steve Taylor is one of my heroes. I'm looking forward to seeing Second Chance in the near future.