Laughing City
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Eisley in Christian Bookstores:

weird.

good: selling records
bad: sorta labels them, and turns some people away.

I love Eisley! Yay!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
Last edited by cynlovescandy on Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
horseslam
Sea Post King

Any little spat over religion like that should be done in PMs.

Obviously an Athiest is not going to see everything exactly from a Christians point of view, and vice versa. So leave it alone. Just don't go there in a public discussion.

And if the person who originally brings up Athiesm is clearly not getting a polite response (it really does not seem friendly, sorry) and would wish to not have the discussion thrown around like he doesn't know why he's an Athiest, then maybe it should have ended after he asked.

Go back to the original topic, or a more friendly mode of discussion.

boone
Vintage Newbie

Lantz wrote:
that was so candy coated, it was like comparing Thomas Jefferson(Atheist) to Hitler(Christian).

see? doesnt make you want to like Christians huh? so using words like "guidance" and "lead" as if he was some type of bumbling fool is really condescending to atheists. next time choose your words more prudently.

as for previous comments saying i didn't become and atheist for the right reasons is false. i became atheist because i believe in the Evolutionary Theory, not some words in a book that have been passed down so far that you would really think thats how it came out to begin with? ever played the game Telephone?

my point is, whatever you believe in, believe in it with all you got.
otherwise whats the point?

now can we please let this thread die!? Smile

Since Thomas Jefferson was a deist, and Adolph Hitler was an occultist, I'm not sure this is the best example, unless you're talking about people trying to sully a belief by false "guilt by association," which is sadly common.

It's really not making a good case by saying one religion is better than others by the people who practice that faith. But in the case of somebody like C.S. Lewis, it's at least a good example to bring up to dismiss people's ideas of blind faith. Lee Strobel would probably be another good one as far as Christians go.

And it'd probably be all right for this thread to live as long as people can be civil.

ambientgecko
Lost at Forum

I wish threads like this could turn into real discussions about important issues such as our faiths and religions. Unfortunately in a world of political correctness it is rarely acceptable to question or even talk about anyones beliefs. I think it's important for people to discuss their beliefs, but not in a judgemental way. I personally believe loving people and honestly caring about what they have to say is a much more effective way of getting someone to listen or consider your ideas rather than just throwing out little tidbits of information here or there. I'm not point fingers at anyone on the forum, I'm just commenting about this subject in general. Have a great night everyone

"even on the drearest day
a loving hand won't turn away
God's greatest gift to man
how sweet is love"

http://www.myspace.com/ambientgecko

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Joined: 24 Dec 2003 | Posts: 1334 | Location: Fort Worth is my home... I'm at OU now though
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

ambientgecko wrote:
I personally believe loving people and honestly caring about what they have to say is a much more effective way of getting someone to listen or consider your ideas rather than just throwing out little tidbits of information here or there.

True, I need to be reminded of this often.
In Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
there is a chapter about "empathic listening"
and "seeking first to understand, then be understood.

It's really mind opening, as to how people listen
And it's really hard to actually listen without
picking out things that relate to us.
I tend to tune out things that I can't relate to
and I miss so much, things I could learn.

And when people know they are being listened to,
they have a tendency to be more open.
Has anyone else read that book?
I think it's by Franklin Covey.

and wow! this kind of relates to the topic,
since I think it's sold in some Christian Bookstores. Laughing
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA