Laughing City
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

cynlovescandy wrote:
when Aslan creates Narnia.

Crying or Very sad i should have read that, because im just now reading narnia, and im still on the magicians nephew, and havent gotten to that part. hehe. well, figures. i pretty much had an idea the first book was going to be about the creation of narnia anyway.

and yeah marvelous things makes sense. i think part of it talks about all the beautiful things in the world that we just dont take the time to notice anymore because of how life today is. it's also like a cool summer day song and also to listen to it on a day like that. i think it is their best video yet and it complimented the song well.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:
"i glimpsed a bat with butterfly wings, oh what marvelous things"...well, yah i guess your right, it does make sense after all...

If you think of it as something one child might say to another child while playing in a field or the woods, it makes some sense. All about children playing, I think.

interesting! never thought of that.
sleepydusk
Sea Post King

I assume the song is about what it appears to be about: someone is witnessing eerie magical occurances and is kind of skeeved out, but someone/something comforts them and makes them feel safe, and reminds them of the beauty of life. Trying to make it about a realistic subject like kids playing doesn't fit for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Triel
Sea Post King

Odan wrote:
all i know is that it was the song that lead me to eisley. boy am i glad that 'marvelous things' came on yahoo.launch =)

this song makes me all fuzzy inside ^____^
That's how I found it too! I love this song.
Joined: 28 May 2005 | Posts: 27 | Location: Washington state!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

dude...I love the chronicles of narnia, anything by C.S.Lewis is marvelous...yah, i kinda think its like a conversation or like a day dream
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

Marvelous Things, Brightly Wound and Trolley Wood all seem to me to be about the wonders of childhood fantasy and make-believe, and to some extent, the fear that those "Marvelous Things" are leaving as one ages. But there is a very strong desire to hang on to them.

("I shall never grow up / make believe is much too fun," "And just as soon, it had slipped into the sleepy dusk / and it's not very likely that we'll see it again.")

I also sense bits of this idea in Plenty Of Paper, although it's a lot more ambiguous. In that song, it kind of morphs into the idea that the more we learn about the real world, and the more knowledge (which is to say power) that we gain about/over the world, the less things seem to amaze or delight us.

But again, this is just one interpretation.

Vintage Newbie

sleepydusk wrote:
I assume the song is about what it appears to be about: someone is witnessing eerie magical occurances and is kind of skeeved out, but someone/something comforts them and makes them feel safe, and reminds them of the beauty of life. Trying to make it about a realistic subject like kids playing doesn't fit for me.

That sounds like a possibility as well. I know my daugher (age 3 years 9 months) wakes up at night crying, saying some pretty far out there stuff sometimes that makes little sense. But children do have vivid imaginations, and the Dark night...hold tight, and sleep tight my baby... part clearly sounds like a parent calming down a child who woke up scared during the night. It's just that most of the things described in the song don't seem very scary at first glimpse (bat with buttefly wings, horses growing out the lawn, a rabbit, mermaid entwined shrubbery), but I guess if they were part of a nightmare, they could be. And they clearly give the person in question the creeps.
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

i like that idea! yah its basically about chilhood dreams
sleepydusk
Sea Post King

Well, they're not like a big grrry monster, but if you woke up and saw horses growing out of the lawn you probably would be a little Shocked.
Ocean Machine, I'm not sure I see what you mean about Plenty of Paper.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

yes...that would be kind of creepy seeing horses growing out of the lawn. Shocked ???But i like to listen to that song when i'm feeling kinda streesed out and i feel like there are so many things going on at once
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

sleepydusk wrote:

Ocean Machine, I'm not sure I see what you mean about Plenty of Paper.

Basically, the idea is that the more we learn about the true nature and reality of something, the less it may seem to us to hold any sort of magical wonder or mystery. Santa Clause is a good example of an idea whose magic dissipates once we realize/are told the truth of the matter (for some people anyways. I remember I was devastated when my Mom told me). And of course, we learn as we age. So from this viewpoint, the older we get, the more we discover that these marvelous things are really entirely explainable and logical, and that can make the world seem a whole lot less.....

Fun.

If the idea interests you, William Wordsworth was one of the first poets to jump into the subject of the ideal worldview being that of a child. He wrote a fantastic poem called "Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood", that you might want to check out. It puts a somewhat different spin on the topic than my description, but the message at its heart is the same. Here's a link for anyone who wants to check it out.

http://www.bartleby.com/101/536.html

As I said, this is one viewpoint, and my interpretation of the lyrics seems to point towards this angle. But there are others who would argue that reality is a wonder in itself. I mean, to a kid, fireworks are like magic. As we continue to grow, we learn that it's just molecules reacting, and trajectories diving into the sky. Does this necessarily mean that we lose an appreciation for their beauty? The first theory (above) would argue that the lack of mystery detracts from our sense of awe. It's also possible, however, that the knowledge we now have; that all the atoms combine together so perfectly and that physics (+gravity) allows the spark to travel to it's destined peak, will actually increase our appreciation for the spectacle.

In other words, we may not marvel at the fireworks for the secrets they hide, but rather for the natural perfection of their design. Ultimately, there are plenty of reasons to appreciate the things that we do.

Unfortunately, it's really difficult for me to point out a specific passage from Plenty Of Paper that really drives this message home, but I just kind of feel it from the whole song. Maybe it's just me. There have been times when I sort of started to feel that I might be missing the point entirely. Either way, it's very wonderfully written.

Sea Post King

lonelynation3 wrote:
yes...that would be kind of creepy seeing horses growing out of the lawn. Shocked ???But i like to listen to that song when i'm feeling kinda streesed out and i feel like there are so many things going on at once

the horses are eating grass on the lawn. nothing creepy there.

Back in the day Eisley commented on my myspace with the following:
'Somebody is sure you love
"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no
matter what that means Smile'

@fragileaswelie
PurpleCloud93
Lost at Forum

My favorite song!
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

nothings creepy about horses eating grass out of the lawn....but when you see horses GROWING out of the lawn...we gotta a serious problem Shocked
PurpleCloud93
Lost at Forum

ha ha! true! Smile
RhymeloveandMelody
Lost at Forum

Ha. From the very first time i heard it to even now i never even put a thought to what "Marvelous Things" could be about. I always used it as a metaphorical pick me up song.

"And sleep tight my baby....Morning Light shall burst bright and keep us here safely." for me translates to All the bad stuff will be gone soon.

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1152 | Location: San Benito, Texas

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>