7%  [ 5 ]
no
92%
 92%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 63

Clark
Vintage Newbie

Andrew wrote:
Im not a big fan of making myself stupider. Thats why I dont drink or do drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
judd
Sea Post King

Pantheon4 wrote:
judd wrote:
<- straightedge boyeeee

Oh GOD! I've heard FlAVOR FLAV, comments all day.

oh, i didn't even realize. i was saying it in reference to shaun of the dead.

myspace.com/juddortiz
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

did anyone else notice granpaturtle was here?
Last edited by crazeemunkeyz on Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
norad
Vintage Newbie

crazeemunkeyz wrote:
Did anyone else notice granpaturtle was here?

yea.
but, it's not like he's making a comeback or anything.
Odan
Laughing Citizen

joseph wrote:
robbie wrote:
I don't care what people do. If that's what you're into then enjoy it - if you know that you're not hurting anybody around you or yourself then I say enjoy what you like and don't let others tell you otherwise.
I don't do it (i've tried a dozen times since I was 16 probably, never has any affect on me so I've given up on it for good). The one thing that irritates me about people who do smoke pot (this actually goes for a lot of other things actually) is when people make a lifestyle out of it. The "stoner" lifestyle is a joke to me. Everybody has their "thing". Every does pot, or drinks, has sex, has indie music taste, makes their own clothes, plays in a band, is gay, does coke, is vegan, gets tattoos, is very religious - everybody has a thing. It's when you take that thing, then turn it into a lifestyle and wear it like a fashion, as if it IS you, that I really get irritated. People become cliches, stereotypes, and homogenized that way. Some of my best friends aren't just social pot smokers now, they are "stoners" and to me that is a sad thing. They don't just do it and live their lives like other people, they have actually centered their lives around it. The same goes for some of my other friends and religion, sexual preference, or other drugs. Just do your own thing, but don't let that thing BECOME you.

bravo.

well said.

what joseph said.

McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

Clark wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Im not a big fan of making myself stupider. Thats why I dont drink or do drugs.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I think a lot of people in this thread that have absolutely no knowledge about the subjects are being pricks about it.

I have never had a sip of alcohol in my life. I have never taken a drag off a cigarette. I have, however, tried weed.

Now, I don't condone the act at all. If you don't want to smoke, I think that's a great choice. I'd prefer it if nobody smoked. I don't particularly enjoy when my friends do it. But that's their choice. But for people to be making rash generalizations about people who do smoke is a bit hypocritical. You're no better than anyone else just because you've never smoked before.

So many people just don't know the facts. They see the commercials against drug use, so they've heard that it's bad. But smoking is much safer than drinking alcohol. Marijuana is NOT addictive. Anybody who tells you that is a complete liar. And to the person who would "call the cops" if they found at that any of their friends ever smoked pot, that might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Should I call the cops on you if I see you driving 43 in a 40? And trust me, no cops are giong to go out of their way to try and bust some kid who's got a gram weed on him. If you're 15 or younger, talking to your friend's parents about their habit (if it is indeed a habit) would be a wiser decision.

The condescension in this thread is entirely unwarranted. Whoever called Eisley fans "higher people" or whatever needs to get off his high horse. Just because you don't smoke pot doesn't mean you're any better than someone that does. Again, I am for the most part against people doing it. I've tried to get some of my friends to stop doing it even. But they were never my friends just because they didn't smoke pot, so that didn't change who they were. As Robbie said, just don't turn it into a lifestyle and it's really no big deal.

boundforglory
Sea Post King

Very Happy
Last edited by boundforglory on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

JBaker wrote:
Marijuana is NOT addictive.

I dunno, i would say it's as addictive as cigarettes. one of my friends smokes maybe 2 joints a day and if he doesn't have it he's in as equally bad shape as another friend of mine not having a cigarette all day long. Painful headaches, no cocentration, and other physical effects. No one goes to rehab for pot but no one goes for cigarettes either and *nicotine addiction is a real addiction.

you can't compare it to something like heron but i would say pot very closely follows nicotine addictions.

now having said that, i think both nicotine and pot addictions are trivial when compared to alcohol addiction hence the reason why i can't see the sense in pot being illegal and not alcohol.

* http://ash.org/papers/h1.htm

ali
since 1979

chasd00 wrote:
JBaker wrote:

I dunno, i would say it's as addictive as cigarettes. one of my friends smokes maybe 2 joints a day and if he doesn't have it he's in as equally bad shape as another friend of mine not having a cigarette all day long. Painful headaches, no cocentration, and other physical effects. No one goes to rehab for pot but no one goes for cigarettes either and nicotine addiction is now a medical term.

you can't compare it to something like heron but i would say pot very closely follows nicotine addictions.

Actually, nicotine is much more highly addictive than THC (much more highly addictive than almost anything, for that matter). THC is actually not terribly chemically addictive. However, the behavioral aspect is another thing entirely. Behavioral addiction can vary widely for different people, which is why some people may "indulge" once a year, and others become daily pot smokers who then become chemically addicted after extensive use, thus becoming irritable if they don't smoke all day. People do go to rehab for pot, it's just not very common.

I could argue whether alcohol or pot is more harmful, but the bottom line is that they both are (or I should say, have the potential to be). If one or the other is negatively impacting your life or your relationships, it's a problem. I'd say heed boundforglory's warning above. You may think it can't happen to you, but that's what everyone thinks. And I can personally vouch for his comment about not harming anyone but yourself - it does harm those around you, those who care about you, sometimes very deeply.

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

ali wrote:
chasd00 wrote:
JBaker wrote:

I dunno, i would say it's as addictive as cigarettes. one of my friends smokes maybe 2 joints a day and if he doesn't have it he's in as equally bad shape as another friend of mine not having a cigarette all day long. Painful headaches, no cocentration, and other physical effects. No one goes to rehab for pot but no one goes for cigarettes either and nicotine addiction is now a medical term.

Actually, nicotine is much more highly addictive than THC (much more highly addictive than almost anything, for that matter). THC is actually not terribly chemically addictive. However, the behavioral aspect is another thing entirely. Behavioral addiction can vary widely for different people, which is why some people may "indulge" once a year, and others become daily pot smokers who then become chemically addicted after extensive use, thus becoming irritable if they don't smoke all day. People do go to rehab for pot, it's just not very common.

I could argue whether alcohol or pot is more harmful, but the bottom line is that they both are (or I should say, have the potential to be). If one or the other is negatively impacting your life or your relationships, it's a problem. I'd say heed boundforglory's warning above. You may think it can't happen to you, but that's what everyone thinks. And I can personally vouch for his comment about not harming anyone but yourself - it does harm those around you, those who care about you, sometimes very deeply.

this is offtopic but how is addiction quantitatively measured? like in the chemical sense.

ali
since 1979

It's more qualitative than quantitative. Like so much that involves the human mind, we still have a lot to learn about addiction. I'm not qualified to say much about it, but my previous statement about comparing addictive qualities was just based off of memory of literature I've read. I don't actually know where alcohol addiction fits in the scale.

That being said, I think the scale I speak of is generally defined by how difficult it is to stop using a drug, or maybe withdrawal symptoms are another scale. Another way to measure would be comparing how much of the substance is required before dependency occurs, or before the reinforcement or reward kicks in. As far as the "craving" goes, that's something that's probably very difficult to measure. Here's a pretty interesting paper: http://newton.nap.edu/html/marimed/ch3.html

The chemical aspect is pretty interesting, from a neurological perspective.
I won't fill up space here with all kinds of science stuff, but there's a pretty good primer here: http://staff.washington.edu/chudler/introb.html#drug

So anyway, I guess what I should've said is that addiction is a very individual thing. Your friend could be addicted to pot just as strongly as your other friend is addicted to cigarettes, but I'm pretty sure that's not the norm. I also want to reiterate that while some people get addicted and some people don't, everyone has the potential to.

Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

Absolutley not. I have no need to fill my body with that trash.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Euphoria
Laughing Citizen

Pot makes me tired and lazy, I don't like it.
Joined: 25 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1546 | Location: Look under your bed...
kyle
Lost at Forum

Odan wrote:
joseph wrote:
robbie wrote:
I don't care what people do. If that's what you're into then enjoy it - if you know that you're not hurting anybody around you or yourself then I say enjoy what you like and don't let others tell you otherwise.
I don't do it (i've tried a dozen times since I was 16 probably, never has any affect on me so I've given up on it for good). The one thing that irritates me about people who do smoke pot (this actually goes for a lot of other things actually) is when people make a lifestyle out of it. The "stoner" lifestyle is a joke to me. Everybody has their "thing". Every does pot, or drinks, has sex, has indie music taste, makes their own clothes, plays in a band, is gay, does coke, is vegan, gets tattoos, is very religious - everybody has a thing. It's when you take that thing, then turn it into a lifestyle and wear it like a fashion, as if it IS you, that I really get irritated. People become cliches, stereotypes, and homogenized that way. Some of my best friends aren't just social pot smokers now, they are "stoners" and to me that is a sad thing. They don't just do it and live their lives like other people, they have actually centered their lives around it. The same goes for some of my other friends and religion, sexual preference, or other drugs. Just do your own thing, but don't let that thing BECOME you.

bravo.

well said.

what joseph said.

What Odan and Joseph said Smile

Sadly, I've lost friends to the "stoner" lifestyle, it's not cool.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>