Laughing City

Do you believe Wal-Mart is a corporate monster?
HELL YEAH!!
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
What's Wal-Mart?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not really.
41%
 41%  [ 12 ]
Ask me in a couple of minutes when i'm done laughing. . .
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 29

tApiokA
Lost at Forum

have any of you guys seen it yet?

i saw it a couple of days ago with my bf and again today with some family. if you have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about... which is probably all of you.. here ya go!

http://www.walmartmovie.com

Golly, Poster

yeah, it's too bad they're 24 hours down here, with very cheap products...they're sooo convenient. I don't understand what the issue against wal-mart is though...

Joined: 19 Nov 2005 | Posts: 634 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

well.. let me try to sum up in short spiffs what i saw...

they don't care about their associates..
-the health insurance benefits they 'provide' are craptastic.. they're too expensive to have to pay on what wm pays their employees.
-wm actually encourages their associates to use govt healthcare programs in order to get by because they know they don't pay them enough.
-there have been countless lawsuits made against wm for discriminating against women.

they don't care about the customers...
-most wm's don't have people watching the monitors for outside surveillance.
-80% of crime at wal mart happens outside where people have been raped, murdered, carjacked and kidnapped more than any other places' parking lots ever.
-they don't care about the small companies that have been around for years and years in the little towns they over take.
-they are granted million dollar subsidies to build in a community after promising to give back to the town and never doing so causing schools to lose funding needed to keep paying jobs available for counselors and other workers..

and in china .. where basically all the goods are imported from .. they work from 7:30-10 just to make 3.00 for the day...
when people from the us go to do the checks to make sure they are in compliance with good working conditions etc.. they hold workshops beforehand where the managers in china tell the factory workers what to say... to lie about how long they work and put on a happy face. and they do it. for fear of losing their jobs.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/wmtv/2005/11/nothing_but_greed_for_them.ph p

there is so much to say... but it's said much better in the film of course.

Lost at Forum

http://www.walmartmovie.com/wmtv/2005/11/a_suicide_economy.php

i like this one better. it's an interview with someone from each side. two different views.

Laughing Citizen

I was at walmart and the young lady told me she was working on her day off, I asked her if she had heard of this movie and she said no. I havent seen it but had heard of it before and she made me remeber it a few weeks ago and now your bringing it up today. I think I will buy it from here since I cant find it locally.
kuhlmun
Golly, Poster

Wow, we were just talking about Wal*Mart is my gov class a few days ago. If only people knew how much those "low prices" were actually costing them.

Anyway, the movie looks interesting, and I a love corporate documentaries so I'll probably see it.
Joined: 26 Feb 2006 | Posts: 914 | Location: I'm not here, this isn't happening
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

although i think it'd be awesome that you bought it.. you should be able to find it in your local video store.. that's where i got it from. though... in the future i'd like to have my own. it's really interesting.
Sea Post King

honestly, sorry but i don't care.. they're cheap and they've got a variety of things you actually need.. the closest store besides a grocery store is about 30 minutes away.. so the only people that complain about walmarts are the people who can probably walk to a music store or something..

this makes me think of that SNL Weekend Update about the deer getting stuck in walmart.. and Amy saying "people are unsure whether the deer walked in through the doors or if the walmart was built around it"
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

Kevin87 wrote:
honestly, sorry but i don't care.. they're cheap and they've got a variety of things you actually need.. the closest store besides a grocery store is about 30 minutes away.. so the only people that complain about walmarts are the people who can probably walk to a music store or something..

oh well there's no need at all to apologize. everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion..that's why i gave those poll options lol. and i actually cannot walk to a music store. i'm about ten to fifteen minutes away from any city life...

Vintage Newbie

Honestly people, there are bad things about every corporation. Nothing in this world is perfect. Yeah you can stand up and say we should ban Wal Mart, but you need to look at the other side of life. Life costs money. Wal Mart is like the only thing I can afford. You need to step back and look at things as a whole. Wal Mart is cheap, accessible, and very convenient. Sometimes people need that.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

The Chinese sweat shop workers and WM associates are the ones who allow things to be cheap, accesible and convenient... WM just takes advantage of these people and claims to be aware of their associates needs when they do nothing but refer them to govt aid offices. WE ARE
WALMARTS HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN. WE'RE THE ONES PAYING WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS TO SUPPLY ALL OF THESE ASSOCIATES WITH HEALTH CARE WHEN IT'S WALMART'S JOB TO DO SO. YOU DON'T SEE OTHER COMPANIES DOING THAT. My boyfriend has been working at wm for about three years or so full time and he only gets paid seven an hour. he cannot afford to pay his company's health insurance for me or our unborn so i'm sticking with the insurance i've always had under my father because we're not married yet so i still qualify and so does the child. now why doesn't he just go work somewhere else? well he doesn't want to risk being out of work for too long because of our situation for one .. and two if he goes somewhere else they may start him off at a lower pay which totally wouldn't work cause he's got major things he needs to pay off.
the walton family rakes in billions of dollars every year .. more than enough for them to continue being the richest family in the u.s. and provide a better and reasonable health care plan.
walmart helps some (because of the low prices) but at the expense of so many more.

Vintage Newbie

Wal Mart isn't the only corporation using sweatshops. It's not as rare as you might think.

Yes I can see your point, but you also need to see mine. Some people I know literally cannot afford food. They have a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread to last a week. You really need to realize that life is not as rosy as some paint it up to be.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I watched that documentary and was very disappointed with the quality. The whole "WAL-MART DESCENDS ON MIDDLEFIELD!" thing was uber-cheesy, as was the "Victory!" montage at the end. It had a great message, and if only the mood had been as solemn as the truth behind it.

Supposedly the biggest Wal-Mart in the world (either by sales or sheer size) is right here in my town. I want to boycott them, but I am an insomniac and they're the only place where I can go and buy stuff after 11 p.m. I mean, you can't just go wander around Denny's or the Waffle House, but Wal-Mart offers hours of entertainment from aimless aisle meandering.

What really pissed me off in that documentary was when they said the security cameras in the parking lot were there for the sole purpose of making sure nobody tries to form a union. They don't care if I get raped and murdered outside the front door, but if somebody hands out pro-union pamphlets to the employees they'll be all over him.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tApiokA
Lost at Forum

Yes i am well aware that there are many many sweatshops and most to export goods to the u.s.

And i understand that there is a great amt of poverty out there.. but THAT's why we have govt aid. those people that can only afford a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread for the week have no reason to do so. if they are that impoverished they most definitely will recieve wic if they go and apply. and the application process for wic is very simple. i know. i've gone. and wic provides the staples that all families need.. like milk, bread, cereal, baby food and formula, rice and other food products as well as non food products necessary to maintain healthy living. medicaid is another option they have... i'm not familiar with that application process though.

Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
I watched that documentary and was very disappointed with the quality. The whole "WAL-MART DESCENDS ON MIDDLEFIELD!" thing was uber-cheesy, as was the "Victory!" montage at the end. It had a great message, and if only the mood had been as solemn as the truth behind it.

What really pissed me off in that documentary was when they said the security cameras in the parking lot were there for the sole purpose of making sure nobody tries to form a union. They don't care if I get raped and murdered outside the front door, but if somebody hands out pro-union pamphlets to the employees they'll be all over him.

okay i totally agree with the super cheesy little statements like those.. i wanted to laugh sometimes..

and yeah that whole security camera thing pissed me off too.. and there were several texas spots on that list...
but more so because my boyfriend had his cd player stolen from his truck.. no it wasn't unlocked.. somebody took the time to jam a screwdriver in the keyhole and open it up to take the cd player and alot of his favorite cds. i told him he needed to do something and suggested the surveillance people. so he went but they took forever to get back to him... and mind you that's cause he works there... so he went again and all they said was that on the tape of that day (apparently they don't know what could've happened) there was nothing. in other words... they weren't even recording or anything! and i seriously doubt anyone was even in there.