Laughing City
JDRagz
Sea Post King

Valerie wrote:
Are you allowed to submit multple entries for the same show? Tsk.

So... Edit my post and put it in there or what? lol

Linkage: blog|xanga|myspace|deviantart|YouTube

Joined: 10 Jun 2004 | Posts: 275 | Location: Indianapolis, IN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valerie
Lost at Forum

Haha. Nah, I'm just picking on you because your pictures were already cooler than my poem. Razz
And because you're apparently acquainted with my brother. It's a small, small world.
Joined: 21 Jun 2004 | Posts: 1114 | Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

My submission is here.

I used the word "awesome," and it's in caps. So sue me. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JDRagz
Sea Post King

Valerie wrote:
Haha. Nah, I'm just picking on you because your pictures were already cooler than my poem. Razz
And because you're apparently acquainted with my brother. It's a small, small world.

Oh, so you're Eric's sister? lol

Linkage: blog|xanga|myspace|deviantart|YouTube

Joined: 10 Jun 2004 | Posts: 275 | Location: Indianapolis, IN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valerie
Lost at Forum

Ok, so I'm going to do three favors here, for posterity's sake.

Here's a tour review.

Here's a bunch of pictures.

More lovely pictures.
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Valerie wrote:
Ok, so I'm going to do three favors here, for posterity's sake.

Here's a tour review.

Here's a bunch of pictures.

More lovely pictures.

You should have asked us before posting our stuff and entering us in the contest... maybe we didn't want to be in the contest or maybe we weren't done.

Valerie
Lost at Forum

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience.
I can certainly un-mention you, if you'd like. I just thought that your pictures were worth pointing out, and any changes to your original post will show in the link.
Let me know what I can do for you.
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Sorry I came off so mad. I'm fine with my stuff being on here now, but I don't know about the other people.
madsenfan35
Golly, Poster

Here's my review. Unfortunately, there are no pictures to accompany it because I went to the House of Blues show, which didn't allow cameras. But I made up for it in words.

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?p=449260#449260

- Dougie Payne, bassist of Travis
================================
http://www.xanga.com/madsenfan35
Joined: 09 Feb 2004 | Posts: 544 | Location: Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA
giant_
Laughing Citizen

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=23004

i flew out to see em. it was fun. many photos and words are contained in the link above.

Last edited by giant_ on Wed May 03, 2006 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

My all-too-brief La Mirada review:

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=22867

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
PoeticPain
Sea Post King

Luke's Mom wrote:
Certainly. I will be making up rules as we go along.
Why don't you make this a sticky? Everyone who enters can make a double post. One for the contest, and one for the forum mash-ups.
Prizes will be awesome. The band will be here on March 31st. We'll get together and come up with incredibly ridiculous stuff.

I'm new to the boards so I don't know how to make a sticky. Where do post it?

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

PoeticPain wrote:
Luke's Mom wrote:
Certainly. I will be making up rules as we go along.
Why don't you make this a sticky? Everyone who enters can make a double post. One for the contest, and one for the forum mash-ups.
Prizes will be awesome. The band will be here on March 31st. We'll get together and come up with incredibly ridiculous stuff.

I'm new to the boards so I don't know how to make a sticky. Where do post it?

Only mods and admins can make stickies, so don't worry. If you have an entry, post it here, or start a thread and post its link here.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

I had been looking forward to this concert more than anything in my entire life. I couldn't sleep the night before and when April 24th finally arrived, I was shaking with anxiety (a good kind). I found out in the beginning of April that they would be coming to San Francisco on the 24th and asked my parents immediately if I could go. I said it could be my birthday present since my birthday is in May. And after giving them all the details and discussing how I would get there (I live 2 hours away and don't drive), they agreed. So I invited 2 of my best friends and got the tickets online. My friends had never listened to them, but they're always up for an adventure. So anyways Monday arrived and I was so excited. As soon as my friends got home from school and my dad got home from work, we could start heading up there. We left around 4:30 and got to SF at 6:30. I was so worried there would be a huge line so instead of waiting for my dad to park, my friends and I jumped out of the car and walked across the street to the Great American Music Hall. I saw the black GMC van and started running and as I passed it, I saw Boyd sitting in the passenger's seat hard at work on his laptop.

^Trailer courtesy of Blink-182

Thankfully, there were only about 5 people in line, so we joined them. Now all we had to do was wait until they opened the doors at 7:30. Around 7 I looked back to see if the line had gotten longer and it did! There were about 50 people, so I was glad I had gotten there early after all. My friends and I were probably the loudest people in line (sorry to those around us). I could tell my friends were excited too. Around 7, we started seeing the opening bands show up. I was probably the only one who knew who they were. The Brighten guys kept walking back and forth and I was like "wow they look even better in person!" I couldn't figure out who this punk looking guy with full sleeve tattoos and a mohawk was, but later saw he was the drummer for Simon Dawes. I didn't realize we were standing in front of his van and he was trying to get into it. He asked this kid in front of us to move back a little so he could get in and this is where the joke of the night took place. The kid (who was probably in his early 20's) in front of us was carrying a guitar on his back, which we already thought was weird... I mean, who brings a guitar to a concert unless you're in the band? But then we saw he also had a sleeping bag and a back pack full of stuff. The drummer was like "you brought marshmallows? Are you camping out?" This had my friends and I laughing for awhile. I hope he didn't think the bands were going to let him go on tour with them or something.

Here's a picture Boyd took to give you an idea of the line (on the left). It went all the way down the block I believe.

So we were standing there parallel to the entrance doors and I see some people walking past me and I do a double take and it's Weston, Garron, and Stacy! I just stood there frozen in place. They walked up to the doors and looked in and then Sherri and Chad walked past the line and AGAIN it was too late. They are pretty sneaky. So I took out my camera and got a picture of their backs because that was the best I could do Sad I guess Chauntelle was already inside. They were probably coming from Starbucks. I knew I should have gone there first! Oh well.

When it was almost time to open doors, a guy came out and asked if anyone had dinner tickets (my friends and I did) and he told us to make a separate line because we get in first! So now I was going to be first in the doors. He told us that dinner ticket holders get to sit in the balcony, but that we didn't have to. I was told by a forum member (Dat) that sitting in the balcony would give me a better view of the stage so I decided to follow his advice. As soon as the doors opened, my friends and I got our hands stamped as minors and ran upstairs to the balcony to choose our seats. There are 2 sides of balconies and I ran to the right side because I knew Stacy faced that way when she played her Yamaha and if I sat on the left side, I would be looking at her back for half the show. So we chose our seats and then this guy was like "dinner tickets sit on the left side." So I was really bummed out and went over there. And when the guy over there checked my ticket, I asked him why we couldn't sit on the right side and he said we could, but that it was for everyone, whereas the left was only for dinner tickets. So I called my friends back and we ran back over to the right and got the same seats we had before Smile

I'll show you where we sat... Boyd took this picture during soundcheck and it's the only one that shows the balconies in relation to the stage. I'm not disqualified for using his picture, am I? I gave credit.

I circled it in black... it looks far away from the stage, but really I was right above Sherri. You'll see from the pics I took of her.

At 8:00, it was time for Brighten. Also, it was time to take our dinner orders. A waitress came around and asked us what we wanted. I wasn't expecting good quality food on the menu, but when I looked, I was in shock. There were 3 choices: Crab ravioli, prime rib, and chicken breast. Since our tickets were $35 each ($15 general admission plus $20 for dinner), I figured I'd get the most expensive item... prime rib. Where else can you get prime rib for $20? My friends got the chicken. Then she asked us what we wanted to drink and we all got a bottle of water. We were surprised when she came back and asked us for $7.50... we thought drinks were included! Otherwise we wouldn't have got any. $2.50 for a bottle of water?! And I thought the ones for $1.50 at my school were expensive Confused Oh well I guess that's how they make their money.

Brighten started playing and 2 songs later, our food came. At first we thought it was weird to eat during their set, but then it felt like we were VIP. Dinner AND a show... doesn't get any better than that Very Happy

BRIGHTEN

I thought Brighten were really good. The sound was okay... at first it's a shock when you haven't been to a concert in 2 years. You forget how loud it is, but once your ears adjust, it's fine. The only problem I had was that the bass and drums were a little too loud and I couldn't hear the singer that well. They played about 5 songs, which I thought was perfect. Not too long, not too short. Another good thing about sitting in the right balcony was that you could see members of Eisley and Chad sitting side stage, watching the bands. Chauntelle, Weston, and Garron were standing behind the people on the floor, along with Boyd and Christie. They were all raising the roof Laughing I would have gone down there, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves and I didn't want to interupt. Stacy, Sherri, Chad, and Kayla (Chauntelle's daughter) were sitting side stage watching Brighten. It was nice to see them enjoying the show too. One time I looked over and saw Kayla hitting Chad because she wanted him to pick her up... it was so cute. Chad really seems like a nice guy.

Here's a picture of Sherri singing with Brighten and a red arrow pointing to the side stage where you can see Chad watching.

When Brighten's set was over, one of my friends and I went down to buy some merch. The line wasn't too bad at all. My friend went to Brighten's table and bought a shirt and their cd. She really liked them. I went to Eisley's table and asked for a large hoodie. I don't normally wear a large, but I didn't want it to shrink like so many of my other hoodies. I wanted to be able to wear it forever Smile The merch guy (Peter I think) was really nice. I didn't realize that the larges were at the bottom of the box so I felt really bad that he had to take all of them out. I was going to say I'll just take a medium, but then he found a large. It was $35... I guess that's a good price. If it supports Eisley, it's all good.

When we got back to our seats, Fair came on. They were good too, I'd get their cd. They said it was their last show on the tour and that they'd miss the other bands. Sherri and Stacy came onstage to sing "Unglued". VERY good song!

STACY AND SHERRI SINGING WITH FAIR

I didn't zoom in at all on this picture, I was really that close.

I zoomed on these of course.

Since it was Fair's last show, Chauntelle thought it would be funny if her and some merch guys got brooms and tried to mess them up. Good one Chauntelle Laughing

THE PRANK ON FAIR

Here's some from Boyd that are better.

And here's a short video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmCRjzh6yj8

Next up: Simon Dawes. I thought they were good, the singer is really animated so that was cool. Once again, the bass and drums seemed to be too loud and I couldn't really hear the singer. My favorite part was when they did a cover of one of my favorite 80's songs "Burning Down the House".

SIMON DAWES

As I was watching them, I saw Stacy side stage with Christie. Then I saw them walking towards the merch booth so I told my friend to come with me and take a picture of Stacy and I. We headed downstairs and I looked at the merch booth, but they weren't there. Then since we were by the entrance, I thought maybe they went outside for some reason, so I looked outside, but they weren't there. Then I saw Christie standing outside the restrooms and figured she was waiting for Stacy. I decided to wait too. Stacy came out 30 seconds later and as she was walking past me, I tapped her on the shoulder and asked her if she would take a picture with me. She said, "Yeah, sure!" and so I handed my camera to my friend. I stood next to Stacy and she put her hand on my back so I moved closer. The first couple times my friend tried taking the picture, the flash didn't go off so I yelled "you have to hold the button all the way down!", which made Stacy laugh. My friend finally took the picture and Stacy said, "thank you" and I said "thank you" back. And she was gone. That was the highlight of my night... no wait, my life.

My friend and I went back to our seats. I was still on a high and I couldn't believe I'd just met Stacy. Now I wanted to see her play. Simon Dawes was still playing for what seemed like an eternity! Then, it was Eisley time!

It took awhile for the roadies to set up their stuff, but I imagine it wasn't that long... I was just really anxious to see Eisley. Then it happened: David Hasselhoff came on. Everyone started cheering. Then, they took the stage while raising the roof. Everyone cheered louder. I took videos of a few songs that I'll share with you. The sound was really good during their set, I could hear them singing and there was only one problem throughout their entire set (Stacy's Yamaha went out during one song).

They opened with Mr. Pine <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2x9PNed0z0

Then Marvelous Things and Escaping Song

Then My Lovely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ap4pZNjYc

Then Telescope Eyes and Taking Control:

Then Golly Sandra (at the end Sherri makes fun of Stacy's moves)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zD-XDhi_Ag

Then I Wasn't Prepared:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3QayAGM7eI

The rest of the setlist:
I Could Be There For You
Memories
Vintage People
Invasion
Plenty Of Paper
I Feel Good
Head Against The Sky
Many Funerals

I was kinda bummed that at this show they traded They All Surrounded Me and Over The Mountains for Vintage People and Plenty Of Paper, but I guess they got tired of playing those on this tour. They are pretty old songs.

The encore was:
Like The Actors
Just Like We Do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWR5_Mh-gCk

And
Trolleywood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUFlnsAXy3w

I had 15 seconds left on my memory card so I used it on the finale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFslaWNVlE

Here's some random clips:

Chauntelle rocking out during Head Against the Sky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6WvMgYmJOQ

Sherri talking about Mel's Diner (pretty funny):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYi-A2VsrNI

Here's some random pics:

STACY

CHAUNTELLE

SHERRI

WESTON AND GARRON- It was too dark back there.

I brought two 256 MB memory cards and used both of them up. I wish I had more. There's always next time.

When the show ended it was midnight. I headed outside to stand by their van, hoping to catch them when they came out. Unfortunately, my dad had to be at work at 5 AM and he wanted to get some sleep so he picked us up right away and we headed home. If I still would have been standing outside 15 minutes after I was forced to leave... this is what I would have seen...

Boyd taking pictures of all the bands together Shocked

Next time they come to SF, I'm driving myself and staying as long as I want Razz

I got home at 2:15 AM... uploaded all my pics and videos and then went to sleep. The next day at school, I wore my Eisley hoodie proudly Very Happy

Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

The tour is winding down--so just a reminder to you all to copy or link your show stories here. It will make it a lot easier for me to find! If you like someone else's story, do the same.
For instance:
evilocdsquirrel13

oh my gosh. i'm not going to sit here and go on and on about how great you are...i will however say this..BOYD, YOU ARE AMAZING. ALL OF EISLEY. end of story. my friend courtney and i were right in front of Chauntelle..yes, with the badly sharpie'd E's on our cheeks..it's the thought that counts really, and in our minds we were showing the love. =] i was the hyper deaf one in the trolleywood shirt. due to the fact that Chauntelle's face is not in a mic all the time, her lips are quite easy to read. i LOOOVED being so close to the stage..i could feel the vibrations like whoa...so i kept my hands spread lightly on the stage..and probably looked like an idiot. but that matters not..i got to see eisley in concert before i lose the rest of my hearing! i find it funny actually that when you're signing and you are hard of hearing, not deaf, people come up BEHIND you and ask you if you are deaf...if you're behind them they can't read your lips, nor could they hear the question...but oh well. yes, so here's a message from those crazy white girls down front. we wanted desperately to meet Chauntelle, Stacy, and Sherri..as courtney said "it's like at the moment the guys of the band are chopped liver." But we still love Garron and Weston!! yes yes we are insane...we were so sad that they started shooing us out of the meridian...we were going to wait...

posted Fri May 05, 2006 9:34 pm

How great was that?? No one will ever think it is strange that Chauntelle sings along anymore. EVERYTHING is part of the whole!
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA