Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

granpaturtle wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:
what is emo anyway, is it like punk?

historically emo came up alongside post-hardcore to deal with the lack of satisfaction that hardcore provided for many people. So Rites of Spring, mid-80s, emo referred to "emotional hardcore" not simply emotional...all music is emotional...that would be stupid to label one type of music emotional.
From what I've seen though emo doesn't become a real force until it hits the west coast towards the end of the 80s and early 90s finding itself alongside grunge. Then by the end of the decade emo becomes a sort of pop-punk influence but with supposedly more meaningful lyrics. It allows one to be sensitive while maintaining punk rockness.

As far as sound goes, like I said it came out of hardcore and it had heavy hardcore influences but abandoned the absolute rage of hardcore music and added some slightly more complex stylings. and then yeah...it became emo as emo is today. Well, emo doesn't really mean anything today, i'd say for at least 2 years the word has been meaningless simply a buzz word attached to bands by labels and no-nothing half way music fans to describe the popular sound.

Oh lord! Someone who actually knows! Thank you!

Exclamation points!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:

historically emo came up alongside post-hardcore to deal with the lack of satisfaction that hardcore provided for many people. So Rites of Spring, mid-80s, emo referred to "emotional hardcore" not simply emotional...all music is emotional...that would be stupid to label one type of music emotional.
From what I've seen though emo doesn't become a real force until it hits the west coast towards the end of the 80s and early 90s finding itself alongside grunge. Then by the end of the decade emo becomes a sort of pop-punk influence but with supposedly more meaningful lyrics. It allows one to be sensitive while maintaining punk rockness.

As far as sound goes, like I said it came out of hardcore and it had heavy hardcore influences but abandoned the absolute rage of hardcore music and added some slightly more complex stylings. and then yeah...it became emo as emo is today. Well, emo doesn't really mean anything today, i'd say for at least 2 years the word has been meaningless simply a buzz word attached to bands by labels and no-nothing half way music fans to describe the popular sound.

Exclamation points!
that's the best description of emo I've read yet.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

McKenzies wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:

Exclamation points!
that's the best description of emo I've read yet.

Beacuse it's true! Very Happy

I'm so glad there are still people who actually know.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Comedy and History warning: profanity

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
musicgirl916
Sea Post King

So... Why do genre's exist? Picking a genre for music. Just like people. Labeling eachother. Prep, Goth, Hippie.. etc.. It's pointless.. Why can't we just be our own person instead of being labeled? Think about it that way with music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Pantheon4 wrote:
At 21+ minutes that really tested my ADD, but I made it through to the end knowing that I could look forward to either a scene with Billy getting beat up by jocks or a "Emo = homo" joke. Bonus! I got both. What is the source of all the hate toward the Emo kids? Is it just a backlash to the branding and marketing of EMO? If EMOtion is perceived as weakness, then I guess as humans we're obliged to shun it, take advantage of it and hate it. Rolling Eyes
gundamit
Golly, Poster

musicgirl916 wrote:
Why can't we just be our own person instead of being labeled? Think about it that way with music.
Because most people like it that way. Most people tend to label themselves by the styles (clothes/hair/etc.) they wear and social affiliations. Its part of their marketing campaign that is fueled by their subconscious biological drive to spawn. Some people wear their music like a fashion accessory and tend to pick their music to match the rest of their wardrobe/persona.

If everyone was their "own person" without brand affiliations the consumer driven economy would be left in shambles. Wink
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I think that overall, people's clothes reflect what they like. If someone is a big fan of THE Ohio State University, then they might wear a lot of red and Buckeye hoodie. No one says anything about that. But if someone wears a Thursday hoodie, they're labeling themselves as "emo". It's the same thing! I'm really tired of people thinking they're better than others because they're not into a "genre fashion." It's funny to me how "being yourself" means wearing whatever Old Navy is selling. Few people think that if someone wears "tight pants" that they just might like the way they're are cut. However, most people jump to the conclusion that they are following some silly music fad. EVERYONE DO WHAT YOU WANT!

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
timisafartface
Sea Post King

eisley iss emo. and so is luvbeat and michael bolton and kevin kostner
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:

haha!

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
UberTelluride
Sea Post King

yeah that video was pretty sweet. good stuff

but I've got nothing against "emo" I just listen to what I think is good. and when it's not good I dont waste my time telling people about it.

ImmoralImmortal
Golly, Poster

Eisley is music. :^D

~ Ramón ~
Joined: 05 Apr 2004 | Posts: 508 | Location: Carson, California
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Golly Sandra
Sea Post King

Eisley and emo don't belong in the same sentence. Besides this one.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

musicgirl916 wrote:
So... Why do genre's exist? Picking a genre for music. Just like people. Labeling eachother. Prep, Goth, Hippie.. etc.. It's pointless.. Why can't we just be our own person instead of being labeled? Think about it that way with music.

multiple reasons.
first, to save time when describing a band. Without genres we would be screwed.
"Hey what does Minor Threat sound like"
well its uhh, you know the dude kind of screams and the guitar is real loud and fast and the songs are all like a minute and a half and junk...its really good.

or
It's hardcore-punk rock.

also, record labels need to label things so the product has a complete package. It's easier to sell a band if you can give the audience a general feel of what the band sounds like in a word.

also music used to be stratified into a few basic categories: rock n' roll, country western, jazz, blues, classical and R&B. But with the introduction of punk rock and hip hop and disco in the late 70s (mainstream introduction, one could easily trace punk-rock back to The Stooges much earlier) people realized music could be more diverse than all that. Thus throughout the 80s you see all kinds of words coming up to describe the sound of certain music so as to distinguish it from the ground: New Wave, hardcore, shoegazer, emo, etc etc etc.

So yeah, as much as we all loath the use of genre names and bicker constantly over what qualifies as what genre, these labels are a necessary evil.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:
musicgirl916 wrote:

multiple reasons.
first, to save time when describing a band. Without genres we would be screwed.
well its uhh, you know the dude kind of screams and the guitar is real loud and fast and the songs are all like a minute and a half and junk...its really good.

or
It's hardcore-punk rock.

also, record labels need to label things so the product has a complete package. It's easier to sell a band if you can give the audience a general feel of what the band sounds like in a word.

also music used to be stratified into a few basic categories: rock n' roll, country western, jazz, blues, classical and R&B. But with the introduction of punk rock and hip hop and disco in the late 70s (mainstream introduction, one could easily trace punk-rock back to The Stooges much earlier) people realized music could be more diverse than all that. Thus throughout the 80s you see all kinds of words coming up to describe the sound of certain music so as to distinguish it from the ground: New Wave, hardcore, shoegazer, emo, etc etc etc.

So yeah, as much as we all loath the use of genre names and bicker constantly over what qualifies as what genre, these labels are a necessary evil.

That's the greatest post I've read in a long time.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>