Laughing City
dan_nobles
Sea Post King

I just posted my amazon.com review of "Room Noises"...hope you like it...sorry it is lengthy. Very Happy
-- Dan

“Eisley not only does not fall comfortably into some preformed mold, they do a very nice job making their own, decorating and embellishing it with a magical touch like a master chef putting some secret ingredient into the mix so that others may try to guess or copy, but will never succeed in reproducing.”

“Room Noises” by Eisley
A review by D.V. Nobles

At first glance, Eisley, a quintet of three sisters, a brother and a cousin, may appear to be the emergence of yet another teen pop group, out to vocalize or maybe symbolize the hopes, fears and growing pains of the puppy-love generation like so many groups do year after year. With a brief listen (it would have to be very brief), one might even dismiss them as such.
But if you only take a quick glance or perfunctory listen, then you just missed out on what may be the most original and refreshing group to emerge in quite some time. Eisley not only does not fall comfortably into some preformed mold, they do a very nice job making their own, decorating and embellishing it with a magical touch like a master chef putting some secret ingredient into the mix so that others may try to guess or copy, but will never succeed in reproducing. And if you hear a lot of ruckus about the group writing and playing beyond their years…well, it may be just because they have been doing it for quite sometime and only now do we get to meet them on a bit larger scale than what they’ve been used to.
I usually listen to a CD about 20 or so times before reviewing and I can say with “Room Noises”, Eisley’s first full length CD, this was not a chore at all. Indeed, I am still listening to it and does not wear thin, but only gets better…
“Memories” – starts us off with a nice flowing melody that introduces you to the angelic vocals that you will not hear, but be carried away by, in all of their songs. The song is about a loss, and a lifetime of memories and how life can not only continue without turning into some bitter existence, but can actually continue with purpose. Am I reading too much into it? Perhaps, but there is a wealth of art here to draw your own conclusions. Towards the end, we hear the two different voices sing out, separated only by this world and the next and there is no question in the listener’s mind who is still here and who watching over his loved one. And do I hear just a small bit, just beneath the surface…maybe just a feeling, of “Eleanor Rigby”?
“Telescope Eyes” – A more radio-friendly “hit” song with a very catchy chord progression. In their video “The Making of Telescope Eyes”, Sherri DuPree say the song is about being “afraid of something in your house at night” and maybe trying to get over the fear of that. To me the song is about cruelty and the person that has to deal with it. Again you hear two sides of the story through the lyrics and vocals.
“I Wasn’t Prepared” – Perhaps the only really sad song on the CD and done with such emotion you can’t help but to be swept into it and when the bees swarm all around you, it’s not really a bad thing.
“Golly Sandra” – Golly, this is a great song. There is a definite feeling a folk tale here and they aren’t afraid to jump out of the steady rhythm beat and throw in something that completely works. Nor are they content to just overlay backing vocals, but complement each other over the chorus.
“Marvelous Things” – To me, this is what I would have described as a song about “being afraid of something in your house at night”, but who am I to argue. From the moment you hear Stacy’s wonderful vocal melody, you know you’ve been transported into a magical place, where a world of fantasy has come true. It’s an amazing place, but too much wonder can be overwhelming. So we have the soothing chorus, a lullaby almost, to quench the fears. Again, we are offered a play with more than one actor in the song and Eisley does this so well we are not only a spectator in the theatre but we are invited onto the stage to first wonder at these Marvelous things, then be a bit freightened and finally peacefully soothed.
“Brightly Wound” – Another venture into a wonderland, but this one of one’s youth and how magical it is even if we don’t really see those dragons (or did we?). I don’t know where the humming meadow is, but I wish I could go back to it.
“Lost at Sea” – “Lost at sea, as I should be. And I’m not so afraid” is much like their boldness and attitude to their music. They are not afraid to venture out of the norm, to put the next verse in a key that someone else, even seasoned performers, would have feared for their life to do. It’s another of their strong points in a long list. And they don’t seem very concerned with trying to make music that only the masses will appreciate. They honestly seem to be doing what they love…and if they continue on that path, then they will never fail, even if their popularity falters.
“My Lovely” – Another “hit” song. I don’t know if any of these songs charted, but if the label didn’t put this one out there, then they only have themselves to blame. You also get the hint in this song that Eisley can rock if they want to as well and I think we’ll be seeing more of that…at least I hope so.
“Just Like We Do” – What can I say? Is this Stacy DuPree or is this a seasoned female singer/songwriter with 30 years of experience? Playing acoustic and singing with emotion while harmonizing with the rest of the band? I thought somebody said um…unicorn Barbie pop? Yeah, they were wrong.
“Plenty of Paper” – And they don’t stop there. This song is a rolling jolly ride into the abstract, but by gosh they make it work!
“One Day I Slowly Floated Away” – And so do we, taken gently on this trip and grounded only by the solid chorus.
“Trolley Wood” – This is where a grown man like me groans (on first listen) and thinks ‘Man, this song is WAY too mushy and honest for me [hit the button to go back to track 1 where my manhood is safe]. Second listen: ‘wow, it’s nice how they traded off vocals here’. Third: ‘hmmm…nice how they varied the different versus…they didn’t HAVE to do that, but then again they weren’t scared not to…’ Fourth: ‘This is really a nice song’. (And a sweet ending to a lovely album).
5/06
-- D.V. Nobles
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Nice review. Couldn't have said it any better myself Very Happy
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

From their mom,
that has to be my favorite review. Thanks for posting this.
BTW, I wanted to clarify something:
Quote:
In their video “The Making of Telescope Eyes”, Sherri DuPree say the song is about being “afraid of something in your house at night” and maybe trying to get over the fear of that. To me the song is about cruelty and the person that has to deal with it.

There has been confusion on this. Sherri's quote was talking about the making of the video. "The treatment", as they call if, for the song Telescope Eyes.
The song is about cruelty. Being cruel, and having cruelty dished out to you.
This has been misunderstood before. I think it's the way it's presented on the "making of" Telescope Eyes video, it seems like she is saying that the song is about being scared of something in your house, but she was describing the treatment given to the video for that song.

And, YES! WB should have tossed some songs to radio. They would have flown!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
"The treatment", as they call if, for the song Telescope Eyes. The song is about cruelty. Being cruel, and having cruelty dished out to you. This has been misunderstood before. I think it's the way it's presented on the "making of" Telescope Eyes video, it seems like she is saying that the song is about being scared of something in your house, but she was describing the treatment given to the video for that song.

And, YES! WB should have tossed some songs to radio. They would have flown!

I hope their songs get less of the "treatment" going forward. Wink

And to dan_nobles, way to spread that Eisley vibe to all areas internet and beyond!
gundamit
Golly, Poster

dan_nobles wrote:
I just posted my amazon.com review of "Room Noises"...hope you like it...sorry it is lengthy.
Nice read. Welcome to the LC forums.
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

that's a great review. i like it a lot, it really puts them in a good perspective Smile
Deviluck
Golly, Poster

Nice review, gathers together, what most of us here reside and agree with ^^
DA Gallery
Myspace
If Eisley are ever in the UK, wanting some photos done =) do ask!
lindz_7080
Sea Post King

Really great review. That first paragraph is really creativly written.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I will read it... but as a regular user of Amazon, I wouldn't. Because it is quite long. I prefer shorter, snappier reviews. That's the way I work. Just my preference.

edit: have read it and it is a good review. It's very well written. Well qualified to write it, too. And you make that known: you only review after 20 listens. I also like how you use a lyric from Lost at Sea to describe the whole of Eisley's music-making techniques!

Good review, but the length scared me.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland