Laughing City
room_noises
Golly, Poster

i hate emo.
ryan fisher
Vintage Newbie

kyle wrote:
Thank you for that, because that's the answer I was looking for. I'm just curious, what would you say the last honest emo band, or song, was out there?

the only popular band described as "emo" nowadays that actually bears any resemblance to the realy thing is thursday
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

granpaturtle wrote:
JBaker wrote:
I love how nobody knows what "emo" is, they just know that their favorite band isn't.

dude...I just explained exactly what emo is...

You and the other person who wrote a long intelligent, educated repsonse were exempt from my statement.
It was directed at the people saying "Emo sucks. Eisley is not emo."

Deviluck
Golly, Poster

Im not too keen on people bashing (saying emo sucks.. or worse) a genre because.. it's a very opinionated view on the entirety of music!
Now people have tastes deal with it.
Eisley, in my opinion, are very much melodic Indie Alternative!

DA Gallery
Myspace
If Eisley are ever in the UK, wanting some photos done =) do ask!
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Sorry for the double post, and I know I'm not Andrew, but to answer Kyle's post, it really depends on where you think emo ended, or if it has even ended at all. Bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace shifted into bands like Sunny Day Real Estate which then shifted into bands like The Anniversary, The Get Up Kids, and even Jimmy Eat World.
More than a few people consider the breakup of The Anniversary in 2004 to be the end of what used to be known as "emo."

However, bands like Jimmy Eat World continue to exist to this day, although stylistically much different from their earlier days. Jeremy Enigk (Sunny Day Real Estate) currently fronts The Fire Theft, a band similar in lyrical and musical content and containing all but one original SDRE member. Other bands who were heavily influenced by these earlier "emo" bands, including Dashboard Confessional.

Screaming vocals didn't really enter the "genre" until Geoff Rickley of Thursday gained notoriety. Since then, we've seen the utter garbage that is bands like Hawthorne Heights, and because of this, I don't believe that bands in that vein can be considered when using "emo" as an identifying term.

In my opinion, bands like Death Cab For Cutie, even while gaining popularity in the media, continue to bring life to the "emo" genre. Sure, the sounds has undergone some change, but compare current NOFX releases to The Ramones, and a great difference can be heard. That aside, I think most bands in the mainstream that use the term "emo" as a descriptor are using it merely as a buzzword to capitalize on a popular trend.

Now, onto Eisley. While the sounds have varied throughout the "emo" genre, and some of Eisley's (specifically earlier) music contains similarities to that of the "emo" genre. Obviously, Eisley are excellent expressors of emotion through their lyrics and music, but they generally are much more vivid in their imagery and use romantic relationships more infrequently as a subject than do typical "emo" bands. The best way to describe Eisley to a friend would be "female fronted indie-rock," as the term "indie-rock" seems to be gaining it's own identifying sound as bands like The Shins and Modest Mouse enter the mainstream.

As an aside, I hate people who criticize "emo" bands for writing songs about relationships. 95% of music written in history has dealt with the subject. Art is an expression of emotion, and love is one of the most prevalent of human emotions. Get over it.

lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

room_noises wrote:
i hate emo.

me too Smile i don't like any labels

LiKEMAGiCWHiTESKY
Sea Post King

if emos listened to eisley, there wouldn't be any more emos because they'd all become blissfully happy. this is so sad, people labeling eisley, because a friend of mine called their music "hippie".

Pantheon4 wrote:
It may be that way in England, but in America being Christian is the coolest! It's even bigger than emo!

crypticomnius wrote:
it seems like the favorite for everyone is the bananananananas...(sigh)...i never know how many nana's to put after ba Sad ... Laughing
Joined: 19 Apr 2006 | Posts: 93 | Location: Tied to a laptop (darn pixies...)
noodleman
Sea Post King

EISLEY AREN'T EMO.

But I think emo's aren't that bad. I kinda like them... you know, they can be realyl nice people. I'm not one of them and I don't want to be and I don't envy their clothes or music or anything, but yeah, I don't like htink it's derogatory.

nathan

www.purevolume.com/GORADIO
www.myspace.com/GORADIO
www.myspace.com/natesmith
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fory
Sea Post King

JBaker wrote:
As an aside, I hate people who criticize "emo" bands for writing songs about relationships. 95% of music written in history has dealt with the subject. Art is an expression of emotion, and love is one of the most prevalent of human emotions. Get over it.

Didn't want to quote your whole post since it was quite big but i especially agree with the last paragraph which i have tried to explain to many people. Though in my opinion 'emo' is a style as in clothing/hair e.t.c. in the same way someone might be called a 'trendy'. I do listen to a few bands considered 'emo' (TBS, Senses Fail, Funeral For A Friend among others) but i listen to lots of different stuff as well such as Limbeck (very Country-esque), Feeder (Britrock), Steel Train (sound very classic). Does this make me emo? in the opinion of open minded people no. I don't dress like an 'emo', have hair like an 'emo' or consider myself 'emo'.

I'm going on 21 and really should not be part of a trend. I dread going to some shows cos i know the sort of little 'emo's you get in the line and in the venue. Thing is though i like the music and quite frankly you can call it monkey music or depresso-rock and i'd still listen to it, it just happens to be that some of the bands i listen to are really in right now.

Hope that made sense

golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

Diana wrote:

Forget those "emo" descriptions, this is the best post.

And go to www.fourfa.com to read the history of emo, not that it matters much anyway.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
LiKEMAGiCWHiTESKY
Sea Post King

noodleman wrote:
EISLEY AREN'T EMO.

But I think emo's aren't that bad. I kinda like them... you know, they can be realyl nice people. I'm not one of them and I don't want to be and I don't envy their clothes or music or anything, but yeah, I don't like htink it's derogatory.

nathan

Yes, well it seems that they bring it upon themselves (the derisiveness) as they stereotypically (and this is all a big stereotype) take pleasure in wearing tight clothes, whining, and being happy being sad.

Pantheon4 wrote:
It may be that way in England, but in America being Christian is the coolest! It's even bigger than emo!

crypticomnius wrote:
it seems like the favorite for everyone is the bananananananas...(sigh)...i never know how many nana's to put after ba Sad ... Laughing
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

can't really add much to this convo other than to spice it up.

I've seen plenty of Christian emo kids.

is that really possible?

why, yes. yes it is. I imagine for them it's more the how they dress rather than how they act.

and that "The emo emu says..." thing is hilarious! Laughing

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
LiKEMAGiCWHiTESKY
Sea Post King

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
can't really add much to this convo other than to spice it up.

I've seen plenty of Christian emo kids.

is that really possible?

why, yes. yes it is. I imagine for them it's more the how they dress rather than how they act.

and that "The emo emu says..." thing is hilarious! Laughing

i'm afraid to find out who exactly is teaching these kids to hate themselves and all around them when they are, assumably, being raised in a Christian household!

Pantheon4 wrote:

crypticomnius wrote:
thesinisterpenguin
Vintage Newbie

who cares?
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

thesinisterpenguin wrote:
who cares?

doubly agreed.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>