Laughing City
Caley
Lost at Forum

I guess I'll try my hand in this and just post my description here instead of creating another thread for it. Is that cool?

--------------------------------------
MAY 6, 2006: DALLAS, TEXAS

Alas, the Granada Theater. This is the only picture I took the entire night, so I thought I'd pimp it a little.

First and foremost, I didn’t take very many pictures because 1.) I left the camera with my mom and sister when we parted ways early on and 2.) I swear I’m A.D.D. or becoming it at least, so I would’ve been too caught up with photo taking and not experiencing the show how I would’ve liked to. So yeah, I just wanted to give you the heads up for the lack pictures in this review/write-up… thing. But my mom and sister surprised me with something, though I’ll get to that later.

Since I was going with a huge group, seven in all (my four friends, my sister, my mom, and me), they all got to my house and stuffed our faces so we wouldn’t die of starvation at the venue. It was their first Eisley concert to go to except for my sister and mom who’ve seen them each once before, so my friends were anticipating it almost as much as I was. We left relatively early (4:30ish) so we could get there around 5:10ish and be one of the first ones in line and so that we could avoid the rain while we were driving. Luckily, we ended up getting their right before the downpour of cats and dogs hit and it turned out that we were about third in line since there were two groups of people in front of us per se. Then after of few minutes in line, I became acquainted with some Louisiana-ians who drove for like four or five hours to come to the show, which I gave them props about because that’s pretty much sweet in my book. And then soon thereafter, Hilary (princesstripandfall) arrived and I chatted with her for awhile after introducing myself; it was pretty cool meeting another Laughing Citizen.

A group picture of my friends and I. I'm the one in the back right. I'm disappointed that the wind was blowing my bangs around when they snapped this shot. Oh well.

I’m gonna go a little off-topic to tell you how amazing my friends are. While we were in line, some of the staff members at the Granada were switching out posters and they so happened to be taking the Eisley ones out and putting Fair to Midland’s in. Being the great friends that they are, they asked to have one for me since I was too shy to ask for one myself. I don’t know what it is, I’m usually highly extroverted, but when it comes to talking to strangers I’m the shyest of them all. Ironic. Anyways, they ended up scoring one for me and that basically made my wait in line.

Well, they finally let us in around 7:20ish and my friend Jess and I rushed over to the Eisley merch table while my other friends headed straight for the front of the stage to ensure all of us a great spot for the show. I ended up getting the Froggiephant (sp?) and Eisleyworm/Eisworm shirts while my friend got a CD. Then I saw that Luvbeat was selling ninja headbands, I was all over them in a heartbeat— Luvbeat is super cool. After that, Jess and I went and met up with the rest of my friends while my mom and sister stayed near the back of the crowd that had already arrived. My friends found the loveliest spot, which was front row and in front of Sherri’s part of the stage, so I was excited about that because I never stood on her side before (usually I’m on Chauntelle’s side because she’s basically my role model).

Eight o’clock rounded rather quickly and the amazing Luvbeat took the stage (I was already wearing my great ninja headband by then too, so I was prepared). They did a three song set in which they performed there most well-known songs, such as “Stole Tha Sound,” “Eight Bits of Rage,” and closed with “Demolition.” My friends were laughing at me the whole time because I was mouthing the words and raising the roof. Heck, if you’re going to see Luvbeat, you should get krunk! Oh and Stacy, Sherri, Chauntelle, and Christie came out and sung the “la, la, la’s” for “Demolition” near the end of the song.

Then Brighten came on—and BAM! It was explosive. That was probably the most entertaining set to my friends. Chauntelle helped fill in for the mystery guitarist, Jacob, since he wasn’t there. Alex (I believe that’s the bassist’s name) was fun to watch because he was head banging the entire time practically. Also, I swear his bass’s neck would’ve hit me in the face if I was a few inches taller when he stepped out in front of the speakers and kept on head banging. I believe if my memory serves me correct that they played five songs: “The Better Way,” “Ready When You Are,” a new song, then “Television,” and lastly “Friends for Lovers” for their finale. During “Friends for Lovers” they were pranked by people rushing the stage with like diapers on and with peanut butter. It was pretty much hilarious to watch, I’m not gonna lie. Then it was crowd participation time when we were instructed to sing “Just do what the music tells you to” over and over again. I didn’t mind because that’s a sick verse!

This is just to give you the picture of how low his bass would go when he was getting into it. My sister took this from where she was standing during their set.

Then their set was over and I think in between their set and Simon Dawes’s set they played “Circle of Life” throughout the venue. It was a crowd favorite for the in-betweeners. Lighters were in the air, hand-hearts were raised, loud singing, Napoleon Dynamite birds soaring (okay, maybe I was the only doing that), you could feel the love spread throughout the vast theater. It was beautiful. Lol. Just kidding.

After changing gear and setting up, Simon Dawes was on. Their sound was different, but it was definitely hypnotic. Their lead guitarist was killer! I can’t even dream of my skill progressing to his level ever, so I really enjoyed hearing his stellar solos and seeing his passion emit through what he was playing. The lead singer’s mannerisms were cool to watch as well; he was quite the character. And man was it ever loud! That was the loudest set-- so loud that you would have to yell into the person’s ear next to you just so they could try to make out what you were saying. On their last song, Sherri ran out and pied the lead singer and then someone pied the lead guitarist. The skidding, slipping, and throwing presumed for about a minute or so as Simon Dawes was rapping it up. But seriously, their set was awe-inspiring in a sense of classic rock coming alive again. Simon Dawes rocked, to put it plainly.

One of Simon Dawes's lead guitarist. He's talented. Again, my sister took this picture from where she was at.

Then the venue lowered their improvised “curtain” again so people wouldn’t be able to see what was going on stage, but it wasn't lowered all the way down so there was like a foot and a half gap that the people in the pit could see through. After about twenty or thirty minutes, David Hasselhoff’s gloriousness started to play. A lot of people started to get krunk because they all knew that that was the cue that Eisley was going to be on in a mere matter of a few seconds. So Dallas was going crazy with anticipation and excitement.

Finally the darned curtain went up and “Mr Pine” started up. Eisley was off the chain! They seemed so happy to be back in Dallas since it’s practically their home… sort of. But yeah, their set was the perfect mixture of lovely old tunes mixed with drop-dead amazing new ones. I just have a feeling that some of those new songs are going to be noticed by the general listening public once the new album’s released. They’re just too good not to be noticed, like all of their songs are. Anyways, on with the show’s description! Like every Eisley show, us fans were singing our hearts out along with Sherri, Stacy, and Chauntelle. Various pranks were performed on them ranging from water bottles being taped together so you couldn’t just grab one, cats being taped to microphones, waiters serving half-eaten food, boys wearing short shorts and mixed match pieces of clothing—you get the jist. But something I thought was super cool was how Simon Dawes’s lead guitarist came out on “I Wasn’t Prepared” and did a little solo riff for the song. It was pretty much coolness on high. Like Boyd posted in his Trolleywood journal, “Golly Sandra” got the crowd riled up when Sherri dedicated it to all of us Texans along with their family. C’mon, even if you say the word “Texas” us Texans are gonna be hoopin’ and hollerin’! It’s a Texas thing. So anyways, once they sang “Many Funerals”, people knew automatically to just start cheering for ‘em to come back on and they did. Once they passed through the backstage curtain, the Eisley banner was let loose-- now that was a "whoa" moment. So the encore started and it was flipping sweet. During “Trolleywood” beach balls with smiley faces on them were thrown and kicked out into the crowd, while on stage band members from all of the bands either became singers, percussionists, keyboardists, or all three at one time. Once the song ended, the cheering was as loud as it ever was once all of the bands lined up and took their graceful bow. And since I had been eying Sherri’s set list since it had been set down, when the show ended none of my group could reach it. So I had to stand on the tips of my toes to just barely get it. So I was very amped about getting it.

Here's the set list for you!

The entire show was very fun and a great experience. It was probably my favorite Eisley show I’ve been to. It was a blast and my friends loved it and said that we all should go to more Eisley shows together from now on. So now I’ve got ‘em hooked.

Oh snap, I almost forgot! Okay, remember how I said that I left the camera with my mom and sister earlier on in this post? Well, it just so happened that when they went back into the merch area to get my sister some fresh air during Simon Dawes since she wasn’t feeling too well, they met Chauntelle. They took her photo and got a personalized John Hancock from her for me on the poster that my friends scored for me earlier when we were in line. Since my sister isn’t really much of an Eisley fan (it’s crazy to believe that I can even put up with her for that too… jk), she didn’t think it would be right if she was in the picture with Chauntelle, so she just took the picture of Chauntelle. So yeah. That was what I found out in the truck as soon as I hopped in as the show ended. I was dumbfounded and shocked. It seemed like the night had gotten better and better as it went along.

Yep, that's the pic I was talking about.

So yeah, that’s my little novel-length story. I hope I didn't bore anyone. Lol.

Jay
Golly, Poster

i think i won...my thread was so good that boyd wrote only a paragraph about the show in the liners of some other post.

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=22324&highlight=

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

ha, jay, you're conceited Wink
http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=23126
Jay
Golly, Poster

princesstripandfall wrote:

nahhhhh

evilocdsquirrel13

i wrote my concert review over there http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=23168 and so...yeah.

and here it is over here...

oh my gosh. AMAZING. end of story. my friend courtney and i were right in front of chauntelle at the meridian..yes, with the badly sharpie'd E's on our cheeks..it's the thought that counts really, and in our minds we were showing the love. =] she (chauntelle) is really beautiful..her smile is like A-FREAKINGMAZING. i was the hyper deaf one in the trolleywood shirt. i had so much fun doing ASL to all the songs i knew!! it was great! due to the fact that her face is not in a mic all the time, chauntelle's lips are quite easy to read. OH..MYGOSH i LOOOVED being so close to the stage..i could feel the vibrations like whoa...so i kept my hands spread lightly on the stage..and probably looked like an idiot. but that matters not..i got to see eisley in concert! i find it funny actually that when you're signing and you are hard of hearing, not deaf, people come up BEHIND you and ask you if you are deaf...if you're behind them they can't read your lips, nor could they hear the question...but oh well. yes. we wanted desperately to meet chauntelle..as courtney said "it's like at the moment the rest of the band is chopped liver." to which i replied "no, they're the onions" the conversation that ensued was one of much laughter and questions like "so..do they have bad breath?" yes yes we are insane...we were so sad that they started shooing us out of the meridian...we were going to wait...oh well...*sigh*
the songs, from where i was standing and due to the fact that i am profoundly deaf, consisted of vibrations and a little bit of bassy sounds. it made me so sad to not be able to hear sherri and stacy...it stunk. but it was fun to just be in their presence and quite literally feel the music. hopefully next tour i will be able to hear them perfectly. i am having surgery may the 26th. it seems they want to shove tubing down my ears or something...but whatever. this has been a summary of the eisley concert at the meridian in houston texas.
-edit/P.S. in case there were uncertainties, i am indeed profoundly deaf. when i said "before i lose the rest of my hearing" means that i
think i can hear some bass sounds...but one can never truly be sure if her ears are playing tricks...i lost my hearing 9 years ago. i don't remember "noise". i am no longer remembering hearing any sound, which sound in particular not mattering, just...noise. but enough griping or going on about the suckiness of deafness. oh, last night i woke up and the lights outside my window were green. for serious. it turns out my dad put green and blue motion-activated flood lights instead of the regular..white ones? i thought i was going to be abducted. ha. fun fun fun.-
 |  | 
Last edited by evilocdsquirrel13 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

I don't think it's that great of a "review" cause it's mostly pictures and stuff.... butttt.... whatever. Here's mine: (and very late)

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=22098&highlight=

treetops12
Vintage Newbie

When will a winner be announced? Smile
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

Not yet. I am behind on just about everything. I hope to get some ME time this weekend and get it finished. Is in raining where you all are? I am ready to start building an ark.
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA
mbrown603
Sea Post King

Luke's Mom wrote:
Not yet. I am behind on just about everything. I hope to get some ME time this weekend and get it finished. Is in raining where you all are? I am ready to start building an ark.

I wish it was raining here. It will be 104 degrees tomorrow here in North Texas. Please send some rain our way.
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

Luke's Mom wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

evilocdsquirrel13 wrote:
i wrote my concert review over there http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=23168 and so...yeah.

oh my gosh. AMAZING. end of story. my friend courtney and i were right in front of chauntelle at the meridian..yes, with the badly sharpie'd E's on our cheeks..it's the thought that counts really, and in our minds we were showing the love. =] she (chauntelle) is really beautiful..her smile is like A-FREAKINGMAZING. i was the hyper deaf one in the trolleywood shirt. i had so much fun doing ASL to all the songs i knew!! it was great! due to the fact that her face is not in a mic all the time, chauntelle's lips are quite easy to read. OH..MYGOSH i LOOOVED being so close to the stage..i could feel the vibrations like whoa...so i kept my hands spread lightly on the stage..and probably looked like an idiot. but that matters not..i got to see eisley in concert before i lose the rest of my hearing! i find it funny actually that when you're signing and you are hard of hearing, not deaf, people come up BEHIND you and ask you if you are deaf...if you're behind them they can't read your lips, nor could they hear the question...but oh well. yes. we wanted desperately to meet chauntelle..as courtney said "it's like at the moment the rest of the band is chopped liver." to which i replied "no, they're the onions" the conversation that ensued was one of much laughter and questions like "so..do they have bad breath?" yes yes we are insane...we were so sad that they started shooing us out of the meridian...we were going to wait...oh well...*sigh*
the songs, from where i was standing and due to the fact that i am profoundly deaf, consisted of vibrations and a little bit of bassy sounds. it made me so sad to not be able to hear sherri and stacy...it stunk. but it was fun to just be in their presence and quite literally feel the music. hopefully next tour i will be able to hear them perfectly. i am having surgery may the 26th. it seems they want to shove tubing down my ears or something...but whatever. this has been a summary of the eisley concert at the meridian in houston texas.
-edit/P.S. in case there were uncertainties, i am indeed profoundly deaf. when i said "before i lose the rest of my hearing" means that i
think i can hear some bass sounds...but one can never truly be sure if her ears are playing tricks...i lost my hearing 9 years ago. i don't remember "noise". i am no longer remembering hearing any sound, which sound in particular not mattering, just...noise. but enough griping or going on about the suckiness of deafness. oh, last night i woke up and the lights outside my window were green. for serious. it turns out my dad put green and blue motion-activated flood lights instead of the regular..white ones? i thought i was going to be abducted. ha. fun fun fun.-

that was a good review

McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

lonelynation3 wrote:
evilocdsquirrel13 wrote:

oh my gosh. AMAZING. end of story. my friend courtney and i were right in front of chauntelle at the meridian..yes, with the badly sharpie'd E's on our cheeks..it's the thought that counts really, and in our minds we were showing the love. =] she (chauntelle) is really beautiful..her smile is like A-FREAKINGMAZING. i was the hyper deaf one in the trolleywood shirt. i had so much fun doing ASL to all the songs i knew!! it was great! due to the fact that her face is not in a mic all the time, chauntelle's lips are quite easy to read. OH..MYGOSH i LOOOVED being so close to the stage..i could feel the vibrations like whoa...so i kept my hands spread lightly on the stage..and probably looked like an idiot. but that matters not..i got to see eisley in concert before i lose the rest of my hearing! i find it funny actually that when you're signing and you are hard of hearing, not deaf, people come up BEHIND you and ask you if you are deaf...if you're behind them they can't read your lips, nor could they hear the question...but oh well. yes. we wanted desperately to meet chauntelle..as courtney said "it's like at the moment the rest of the band is chopped liver." to which i replied "no, they're the onions" the conversation that ensued was one of much laughter and questions like "so..do they have bad breath?" yes yes we are insane...we were so sad that they started shooing us out of the meridian...we were going to wait...oh well...*sigh*

that was a good review
my favorite.
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

McKenzies wrote:
lonelynation3 wrote:
evilocdsquirrel13 wrote:

that was a good review
my favorite.

yes! i totally agree Very Happy

evilocdsquirrel13

Shocked
 |  | 
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

Eisley at my house. And Luke.

We have 2 winners! I've PM'd them. Once I hear back I'll post details. This was just a fun little thing, so If you didn't win, don't get upset. Next time, I'll just put all the entries in a hat and pick winners at random. Contests of this nature are basically wrong. Live and learn, I guess. The real winners of this were the people who shared in your experiences--people who couldn't get to shows, and Eisley people home or on the road. This is why they do what they do. They make memories.
Thank you everybody! Keep writing.
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA