Laughing City
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

crypticomnius wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
homesick_alien wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
I've never thought it was wound (wooned) because that doesn't make sense.

does brightly wound (wow-ned) make much more sense than (wooned)?

It's 6 on one hand, Half a dozen on the other to me

well, wowned makes more sense than wooned... to me. Razz

same here

i feel retarted... Embarassed i thought it was wound(as in injury)

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Binary Dragon wrote:
Wownd is the only one that can make sense. "Brightly" is an adverb. Wooned is a noun, and can't be modified by an adverb. Wownd is a part tense verb, and can be modified by an adverb. Thus, it has to be wownd.

well, couldn't it be "wooned" as in: "to brightly wound so and so", or something? just a random thought... i know nothing about proper grammar, and don't really care...

i always thought it was "wowned", too.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
boone
Vintage Newbie

Binary Dragon wrote:
Wownd is the only one that can make sense. "Brightly" is an adverb. Wooned is a noun, and can't be modified by an adverb. Wownd is a part tense verb, and can be modified by an adverb. Thus, it has to be wownd.

I tried this argument before. People bring up the fact that wound the noun can also be a verb (I shall wound you). Of course, the phrase "Something is Brightly Wound" makes more sense than "I shall Brightly Wound you," even though both are abstract concepts, the first can at least fool you into making logical sense, and that's the point. Plus, it sounds prettier so it's more in context of the song. I never saw it any other way.

Lantz wrote:
i think we should adopt the German umlaut.
Wound - to be twirled or spun
Wünd - an injury
see? much simpler.

Except English already has diphthongs instead of umlauts, which means that it would be spelled "wuend," and that's just stupid.

And, since Americans don't like ligatures in their diphthongs (too much pronunciation for one syllable, we have stuff to do,) it would be spelled wund, and would be mistakenly pronounced with a short u sound, like "wond" in "wonder."

Of course, since the "ou" in "wound" is already a diphthong, why change it at all?

Maybe the other "wound" should be "waund," but then people would be tempted to pronounce it in a way that's just too German for my taste.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

It's summertime guys.

Deep thinking is not allowed.

Wink
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
Binary Dragon wrote:

well, couldn't it be "wooned" as in: "to brightly wound so and so", or something? just a random thought... i know nothing about proper grammar, and don't really care...

Yes, wound (wooned) can be a verb.

Sea Post King

do not be afraid. wrote:
Binary Dragon wrote:

One problem there. The verb "to woond" is the infinitive. In English, unlike most other languages, the infinitive is not complete without both the "to" and the bare infinitive form of the verb. This, of course, is what leads to so many problems as people attempt to unknowingly split their infinitives.

The point being that the only way "woond" can be grammatically correct as a verb is if the title was "To Woond Brightly." "To Brightly Woond" of course not being acceptable due to the aformentioned problem of spliting ones infinitives.

Thus still leaving the only possible grammatically correct choice being "Brightly Wownd."

Vintage Newbie

Binary Dragon wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
Binary Dragon wrote:

One problem there. The verb "to woond" is the infinitive. In English, unlike most other languages, the infinitive is not complete without both the "to" and the bare infinitive form of the verb. This, of course, is what leads to so many problems as people attempt to unknowingly split their infinitives.

The point being that the only way "woond" can be grammatically correct as a verb is if the title was "To Woond Brightly." "To Brightly Woond" of course not being acceptable due to the aformentioned problem of spliting ones infinitives.

Thus still leaving the only possible grammatically correct choice being "Brightly Wownd."

You're boggling my mind! Laughing

Simonthegreat
Lost at Forum

I used to call it Brightly Wounded. Laughing
(as in wooned)

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

we had this debate before oddly enough

the answer is:
depends on which version you hear
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Binary Dragon wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
Binary Dragon wrote:

well, as i said, i know nothing about proper grammar, and don't really care, but i sort of guessed that already, just not in enough time to not post and make myself look like the idiot i am. oh well.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

The answer is "wound".

Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
Leah8807
Golly, Poster

I've always thought it was woond, but I guess it all depends on how you learned it.

ruff, rooof

surup, seerup

eye-ther, eether

imgoingtothetrolleywood
Sea Post King

i always thought that it was brightly wooned until i was talking to my friend who called it brightly wowned & i was like, oh, dear i've been saying it wrong this whole time, so i went and looked at the spelling and realised it was one of those words, like "live" & "live". so i brought it up to him, and he said he thought it was wowned not wooned, but i wasn't so sure...

hugs are way better than kisses can you can hug just about anyone without them slapping you or anything...
.my favorite trevor.
Alessandra
Sea Post King

Well here is my take on it... I've always said or thought "wooned" and here is my defence. In the song Sherri says "it makes me want to cry" and usually you cry when you have been wounded in some way or another. But that also takes us back to the other argument about whether it is "it makes me want to cry. I love you." or "it makes me want to cry I love you."

In the lyrics section though on the forum they have it typed like this:
"...it makes me want to cry.
I love you..."

I think it all just depends on how each person individually looks at it as to how they say it!

Sea Post King

Brightly Wowned. When you wind a clock, it makes a sound. Bright can be used to describe a sound. ie: a bright sound or a dark sound. Brightly Wound. Winding something which in turn sounds bright.

How is that abstract?
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger