Laughing City
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
treetops12 wrote:
Lantz wrote:
-there are two highschools: the "black" highschool (John Tyler) which was ironically the "white" highschool in the 50s and the predominant "white" highschool (Robert E. Lee)

Wait, so the schools are still segregated? Shocked

Well, sort of natural segregation, yes. Sort of. We're talking predominately black or white here, not ALL black or what. Of course, I won't share all of my thoughts on it ... it basically comes down to that black people and white people still don't live in the same areas (economic and social reasons). So they wind up at different high schools. At least that's how that usually works out around here. I'm not 100 percent sure that's Tyler's thing. But it's definitely not some outright segregation law. It's sad that people (everywhere) separate themselves of their own volition, but it happens.

That's called de facto segrigation. I think it would be wise to consider that it's not always a simple choice. There are banks who will not give loans to certain people because they will bring down the property values.

its really not the kids who are rascist or anything, it mostly the parents who were raised in the segregated 50s and early 60s that put their kids in those schools

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Lantz wrote:
its really not the kids who are rascist or anything, it mostly the parents who were raised in the segregated 50s and early 60s that put their kids in those schools

But there are plenty of racist kids. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Fun Fact

If you search "Tyler Texas" on Google Images this comes up on the first page:

Golly, Poster

i like tyler. but then again, i dont think i'll stay here for the rest of my life. its a little small for me.

but yeah. tyler is good. the vineyard is the place to be on sunday mornings btw. haha. shameless plug.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

markymark106 wrote:
i like tyler. but then again, i dont think i'll stay here for the rest of my life. its a little small for me.

but yeah. tyler is good. the vineyard is the place to be on sunday mornings btw. haha. shameless plug.

Amen. ha ha.

Melissasingstheblues
Sea Post King

boone wrote:
Melissasingstheblues wrote:
I love my hometown. It's one of the safest big cities in the U.S. I want to live here the rest of my life.

I don't see why that makes me weird.

It's wearing those pink ostrich feather chaps that makes you weird.

They bring out my eyes.

hahahahaha.

treetops12
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
I love my hometown. It's one of the safest big cities in the U.S. I want to live here the rest of my life.

They bring out my eyes.

hahahahaha.

You really like San Jose that much? I've been to so many big cities that were way better than SJ. But that's just me.

dannychair
Golly, Poster

Lantz wrote:

i laugh when everyone says tyler has bad traffic. you should try Los Angeles. which brings me to another point: the only reason there are any accidents in LA is because there are too many people, whereas Tyler has bad traffic cause people are idiots down here.

No one should complain about traffic if they don't have to allow for double the time to reach their destination or if they live somewhere with decent public transportation.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, just because it's not the worst traffic ever, doesn't mean it's not annoying to have an idiot or a group of idiots who think they are the center of the world almost kill you every time you visit a city. Confused

Melissasingstheblues
Sea Post King

treetops12 wrote:
boone wrote:

They bring out my eyes.

hahahahaha.

You really like San Jose that much? I've been to so many big cities that were way better than SJ. But that's just me.

yeah! I love san jose.. it's great.. there's always something to do... and I always run into people... like I said it's a really safe city so that's way comforting.. the weather's great... there's always really cool events.. we have a huge jazz festival, the art museum, winchester mystery house, we have great america, santana row plus a ton of malls, and santa cruz and san fransisco are like 45 min away? Sorry for the essay but I love it here!

fakeplastic
Sea Post King

the arcadia is going to be an amazing venue next year.
hopefully the music scene will grow when that happens.

everyone i know in tyler are unbelievably nice, loving people.

and i'll agree that nobody knows how to drive.

Connie
Golly, Poster

treetops12 wrote:
boone wrote:

They bring out my eyes.

hahahahaha.

yeah! I love san jose.. it's great.. there's always something to do... and I always run into people... like I said it's a really safe city so that's way comforting.. the weather's great... there's always really cool events.. we have a huge jazz festival, the art museum, winchester mystery house, we have great america, santana row plus a ton of malls, and santa cruz and san fransisco are like 45 min away? Sorry for the essay but I love it here!

San Jose gets boring.

it's pronounced "chasdew"

i went to santa clara in april for a database conference and rode the train into san jose afterwards to escape all the database nerds. I asked someone on the train where the locals hang out but i can't remember hte street they told me (it was about 10 stops down from the santa clara convention center). I really liked san jose the downtown area was really cool. I was there on a monday so it was pretty dead but i still stopped in a couple of pubs and chatted with the locals. Next year i'm planning on going early so i can hang out during the weekend.

Melissasingstheblues
Sea Post King

chasd00 wrote:

i went to santa clara in april for a database conference and rode the train into san jose afterwards to escape all the database nerds. I asked someone on the train where the locals hang out but i can't remember hte street they told me (it was about 10 stops down from the santa clara convention center). I really liked san jose the downtown area was really cool. I was there on a monday so it was pretty dead but i still stopped in a couple of pubs and chatted with the locals. Next year i'm planning on going early so i can hang out during the weekend.

If you're downtown and you like Italian Food, you MUST go to Original Joes. It's the best in town.

treetops12
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:

If you're downtown and you like Italian Food, you MUST go to Original Joes. It's the best in town.

I used to go there all the time. My favorite Italian place is Maggiano's Little Italy. Mmm Very Happy

I agree with Connie, San Jose gets boring. I've lived here for 12 years and I've seen all there is to see... which would only take about a week. I guess it's not big enough for me... I go to Southern California all the time and to me, that feels like home. San Francisco is awesome too... they have so many cool stores (like H&M).