Laughing City
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Of course, many considered them a Christian band before, but I would consider their lyrics about as spiritual as Eisley's lyrics.

seriously?
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Of course, many considered them a Christian band before, but I would consider their lyrics about as spiritual as Eisley's lyrics.

seriously?

Switchfoot started out in the Christian market. They had three pretty successful CDs before they went into the secular market. Their sound is pretty much the same though. If that is what you were asking.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
nevernever wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

seriously?

Switchfoot started out in the Christian market. They had three pretty successful CDs before they went into the secular market. Their sound is pretty much the same though. If that is what you were asking.

well, i just thought it strange that you said their lyrics are as spiritual as eisley's. Eisley has only a few songs in which the lyrics could be only interpreted as spiritual, whereas Switchfoot's lyrics are (still) very obviously religious.

The Shadow Proves the Sunshine is one I can think of from their latest album, and The Beautiful Letdown was comprised of a large number of religious songs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
nevernever wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

seriously?

well, i just thought it strange that you said their lyrics are as spiritual as eisley's. Eisley has only a few songs in which the lyrics could be only interpreted as spiritual, whereas Switchfoot's lyrics are (still) very obviously religious.

The Shadow Proves the Sunshine is one I can think of from their latest album, and The Beautiful Letdown was comprised of a large number of religious songs.

Switchfoot's songs often have a more spiritual context, but, I would say they are about equal in terms of spiritual mumbo jumbo (God, Jesus, Lord, Hallelujah, praise you, drugs are bad@!)

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
nevernever wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
nevernever wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

seriously?

Switchfoot's songs often have a more spiritual context, but, I would say they are about equal in terms of spiritual mumbo jumbo (God, Jesus, Lord, Hallelujah, praise you, drugs are bad@!)

well, i suppose it's just a matter of interpretation. i don't see a lot of spirituality in eisley's music (save for a few songs), while it's basically spelled out for you in switchfoot's.
boyd
Eisleyoid

it's a fair question... much like if it were rephrased:

do you think eisley would ever play a truckers festival?
I mean, they don't write songs about trucks... or make
any effort to appeal to truckers... but if truckers liked
their music I can't see why Eisley would systematically
exclude Truckers from a gig... and, i mean, let's face it...
Eisley IS from Texas; they have a a solid trucker's affinity...
So, why not? On the other hand... truckers are kinda
territorial... hmmm.... and Eisely plays a lot of Convertible
festivals and Hot Rod festivals...I'm not sure those truckers
would want them after keeping such sordid company.
Eisley hangs in those dark, soiled places. Smile and with
the people who live there. I think that's a positive thing.
Bottom line? Each gig would be considered and carefully
weighed... but you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for
eisley to either receive an offer or accept an offer to play
some big CCM gig. Nope.

much luv.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Daniel Kraft
Sea Post King

That's like asking if PS40 would play at Ozfest.
Well...sure we would... if we were behind chicken wire.... and barbed wire and bullet proof glass. Oh man that's a funny thought. Well...maybe it's not quite the same. But I don't see why anyone wouldn't love Eisley and their Christian Trucker Music. It's "Music for the Christian trucker's Road!" "Lost Boyd to Shepherd Lost Boyd to shepherd. You shake the trees, I'll rake the leaves. 10-4 backdoor put the pedal to the metal good buddy!"

My Xangaaaaa...(Ricardo Mantaban)
http://www.xanga.com/Danelectro
Joined: 05 Nov 2002 | Posts: 193 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Kit
Sea Post King

PurpleCloud93 wrote:
I don't think the oraganizers of the festivals would allow them to play because their music isn't openly worshipping God.

There are bands playing these festivals that have far more secular tendencies than Eisley. You'd be surprised to hear about things that happen at these festivals like Cornerstone, etc.
drenchedecent
Sea Post King

boyd wrote:
it's a fair question... much like if it were rephrased:

do you think eisley would ever play a truckers festival?
I mean, they don't write songs about trucks... or make
any effort to appeal to truckers... but if truckers liked
their music I can't see why Eisley would systematically
exclude Truckers from a gig... and, i mean, let's face it...
Eisley IS from Texas; they have a a solid trucker's affinity...
So, why not? On the other hand... truckers are kinda
territorial... hmmm.... and Eisely plays a lot of Convertible
festivals and Hot Rod festivals...I'm not sure those truckers
would want them after keeping such sordid company.
Eisley hangs in those dark, soiled places. Smile and with
the people who live there. I think that's a positive thing.
Bottom line? Each gig would be considered and carefully
weighed... but you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for
eisley to either receive an offer or accept an offer to play
some big CCM gig. Nope.

much luv.

the trucker comparison is a weak one. comparing driving a truck to a relationship with Jesus? and if you take that comparison further, to play a trucker festival, eisley's members would have to be truckers, and they are not.

and your final statement- are you saying eisley would turn down an invitation from cornerstone to play the main stage?

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

drenchedecent wrote:
and your final statement- are you saying eisley would turn down an invitation from cornerstone to play the main stage?

I don't think he's saying they'd automatically turn it down only that they would not automatically accept it. Any show has to be "considered and carefully
weighed", what if the offer came in the middle of a major tour? They couldn't just stop everything and go do it. On the other hand, if the offer came at a time when they could do it and it fits in with touring schedules and other stuff then they probably would do it. I guess what it all boils down to is they would consider a christian show/festival in the same way they would consider any other show.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

The original poster may not have meant it, but this has become a loaded question.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
McKenzies
Vintage Newbie

drenchedecent wrote:
the trucker comparison is a weak one. comparing driving a truck to a relationship with Jesus?
what?? how'd you get that? he isn't comparing driving a truck to a relationship with Jesus at all.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

McKenzies wrote:
drenchedecent wrote:
the trucker comparison is a weak one. comparing driving a truck to a relationship with Jesus?
what?? how'd you get that? he isn't comparing driving a truck to a relationship with Jesus at all.

and I, as a trucker, am offended at the belittling of my lifestyle and belief system. my truck is my rock, my stable point in this world and I won't stand anyone trying to lessen that should go soak in a hot tub of epson salt....mmmm...salt...
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Eisley is not a Christian Rock band. They may be Christians, and they may be a rock band, but they are not a Christian Rock band. Name one Eisley song where their is a clear implication in the song that they are Christians? One could dissect words, and come to that conclusion (I know I did that once in another thread about Lost at Sea), but it is a stretch at any rate. Therefore, I doubt they will be playing any Christian music festival.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Eisley is not a Christian Rock band. They may be Christians, and they may be a rock band, but they are not a Christian Rock band. Name one Eisley song where their is a clear implication in the song that they are Christians? One could dissect words, and come to that conclusion (I know I did that once in another thread about Lost at Sea), but it is a stretch at any rate. Therefore, I doubt they will be playing any Christian music festival.

I don't think they would play a Christian festival either, but to be fair a lot of bands that would play these festivals play rock and their lyrics are not always clearly Christian.