Laughing City
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
loveisachemical wrote:
patrock wrote:
I don't think REF is being flaunted. So i'm kind of lost about why that was said. Maybe i'm missing something here, though. The only think I've noticed its Joe being mentioned. But, that is not REF. It's a person.

I think lots of times we drop suddle hints but certain people who have been aware longer than others will pick up on it, especially lately... and flaunted can be by both LC and REF people. Just bringing it up in general.

Yeah, I still don't think it's been flaunted. That's an over step. It's mentioned every now and then. Certainly not flaunted though.

I'll give you that. Poor word choice on my part. But... hopefully you know what I mean all the same? But yes, poor word choice. Written quickly.
norad
Vintage Newbie

loveisachemical wrote:
patrock wrote:
loveisachemical wrote:
patrock wrote:
I don't think REF is being flaunted. So i'm kind of lost about why that was said. Maybe i'm missing something here, though. The only think I've noticed its Joe being mentioned. But, that is not REF. It's a person.

I think lots of times we drop suddle hints but certain people who have been aware longer than others will pick up on it, especially lately... and flaunted can be by both LC and REF people. Just bringing it up in general.

Yeah, I still don't think it's been flaunted. That's an over step. It's mentioned every now and then. Certainly not flaunted though.

I'll give you that. Poor word choice on my part. But... hopefully you know what I mean all the same? But yes, poor word choice. Written quickly.

Unfortunately, I still don't get it. Confused What the big deal is about a mention here or there. I really can't think of one example of REF being overly mentioned. Minus the one thread about it. This is over my head. I'm aware.
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
loveisachemical wrote:
patrock wrote:
loveisachemical wrote:
patrock wrote:

Unfortunately, I still don't get it. Confused What the big deal is about a mention here or there. I really can't think of one example of REF being overly mentioned. Minus the one thread about it. This is over my head. I'm aware.

because its a private forum, one most people are not allowed to join so it tends to piss people off if you make jokes that they can't get inside on. Plus we all know it definately aggrevates the mods so mentioning it is just plain not a good idea
Terebinthia
Vintage Newbie

Ok.

This is a forum where we all don't agree. We have different backgrounds, beliefs, and different colors of hair and eyes and all that...if anything at all, it makes life interesting.

I am just going to say right now that the things that I had talked about were not about me being jealous about not being "in the know" about things going on outside this forum, because truthfully, I have never been that kind of person. I don't have to know everything and don't really ask to know about what everyone is or isn't doing. What I was talking about was more what was underneath the surface. As corny as it sounds, I care about people I come in contact with...online and offline. People are amazing to me and I care about each and every person on this forum, so I really hate to see things turn ugly. I hate strife and so when it happens I don't like to sweep it under the rug.

So if I've lost 10 million cool points for that, then there is not much I can do really, and I can't really say much more than that.

Commentary on creepy online men who use fake photos of girly Fabiosos to get the ladies:

"The longer my hair gets, the more sexy I have" - Jamie M.
Joined: 10 Jan 2005 | Posts: 3967 | Location: In between here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

A simile this has made me think of...

REF is like the self-government which occured at town meetings in English colonies during the 17th and 18th centuries.

LC is like the royal provinces which had governors + advisors + representative assemblies.

I doubt this needs repeating, but neither of these structures are bad or good. They just offer different things.

homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

Terebinthia wrote:
Ok.

This is a forum where we all don't agree. We have different backgrounds, beliefs, and different colors of hair and eyes and all that...if anything at all, it makes life interesting.

I am just going to say right now that the things that I had talked about were not about me being jealous about not being "in the know" about things going on outside this forum, because truthfully, I have never been that kind of person. I don't have to know everything and don't really ask to know about what everyone is or isn't doing. What I was talking about was more what was underneath the surface. As corny as it sounds, I care about people I come in contact with...online and offline. People are amazing to me and I care about each and every person on this forum, so I really hate to see things turn ugly. I hate strife and so when it happens I don't like to sweep it under the rug.

So if I've lost 10 million cool points for that, then there is not much I can do really, and I can't really say much more than that.

why would things turn ugly? If anything having a forum like ours will ease any tension on LC because we can vent over there if need be and not argue on here (which btw is not the purpose of that forum)

I'm with nora on this. Why is this such a big deal? If you all don't care why are you getting snipey about us mentioning it?. If you think about it we're doing you guys a favour because the stuff we can't discuss or post on here gets posted over there so everybody wins...right?

This is definitely mountain out of a molehill stuff

Vintage Newbie

Terebinthia wrote:
People are amazing to me and I care about each and every person on this forum, so I really hate to see things turn ugly. I hate strife and so when it happens I don't like to sweep it under the rug.

I guess all I can do is try to assure you that the REF was not created with the intent to produce strife between the LC and the new forum. As Paul pointed out, it's actually easing strife here because when we're annoyed with something that takes place on the LC we vent about it on the REF. We didn't create that forum in order to hurt anyone here, and I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone who has suffered because of the existence of the REF.

Now humor me while I bring up my own perception of this argument--it seems to me that the people speaking out against the REF, or against REF members mentioning the forum on the LC as the case may be, think that REF members are wrong for talking about the REF here. I would like to make it clear that there is no rule against discussing other forums on this forum. Many times have there been LC threads about jokes that originated in the LC chat room, where the vast majority of the 10,000+ members of this forum do not visit regularly, and of course those of us who were not there don't get the joke. Nobody complains about threads like that, even though they serve no purpose other than to entertain the people that were there in the first place, and would therefore get the joke.

To date no REF member has created a thread about discussions in the REF; all discussions about that forum have taken place in other threads, and were usually started by people who are not REF members (a notable exception being Teddy's forum tabloid post, of which only part concerned the REF). The only time we've mentioned something REF-related that no one else would understand is in the case of Joe (the man, the myth, the legend), and that seems pretty harmless. We do not post incessantly on this forum in order to brag about our clubhouse, nor do we bring it up with the purpose of hurting others' feelings. Of course, since this whole argument is about feelings, which are subjective, deeply personal, and ever-changing, it's impossible for one side to convince the other that they're right. I only hope I've made enough good points to help others see our side of the story.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

To a certain crowd however, it is still like announcing in a room of people who are supposed to be equals "OK, cool people, come over here," and then pointing to certain members and saying "and you're not one of us." Unlike going off with siblings or business partners, it is an act of exclusion when you associate it with Eisley and then act like it's anything but a gathering of similarly minded individuals who want to be excluded from contradiction so they can discuss and gossip.

I am not one of them, but people are going to feel excluded.

But I will no longer participate in this thread, as I plan to take it to you all individually or in another venue. If you would all respond to me in a similar manner, I would appreciate it.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

Jamie, that's just not it. We invite people who we think can handle strong language and the topic we discuss.
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

I'm sure it could seem like that, but it's an incorrect assumption.
Vegetable
Vintage Newbie

we should make like... tours of the REF. like mcdonald's did with the kitchen.

you go in, you take a ride to see how harmless we are and then you get KICKED OUT TO DA DAMN STREET LIKE A FREAKIN RACOON!!

seriously... what's the big deal? it's just a harmless place were we can talk about anything without having to watch our language... it's not like we're conspiring to destroy LC from the inside starting by making jokes to make people feel paranoid and excluded. au contraire, we are just trying to keep LC nice and tidy by taking our touchy subjects and dirty stuff to a private place.

Visit my Pic Album!
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 | Posts: 3973 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I just have to ask ... is cussing really that important?

I mean, it's not like we have entirely squelched it here. I mean, look at some of Nora's posts. Laughing

P.S. My mistake ... I've taken this to PM. Time for this particular thread to faaaaddee aawwwwaaaayyyyy.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Last edited by TheAntrider on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

Although it is nice to have the freedom of using terribly terrible words to emphasize posts, the REF wasn't created just so we could cuss our brains to bits. It's just an element of the basis for its creation - the freedom to discuss openly topics which would not be taken well here.
norad
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I mean, it's not like we have entirely squelched it here. I mean, look at some of Nora's posts. Laughing

Very Happy
Best thing you've said all weekend.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

If people want a private forum, more power to them. Seems this is blown out of proportion. They could have just as easily said let's meet at the _________ fill in the blank forum, but instead they started their own. Seems like a good solution to a problem, be the problem perceived or real.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>