Laughing City
boyd
Eisleyoid

We face the same dilemma you guys are verbalizing so well.
There's no great solution. We love the Rhodes, but they are heavy
and fragile. The legs keep getting ripped off... (every tour), the
action and tuning get's whacked... (there are real wooden parts in there).
The keyboard she's getting is really a computer... a midi. It's about 7g.
The band isn't leaving their indie, raw roots, but for a long time, Stacy
has been hammering out tunes on a piano... Piano is all OVER Room Noises, if you just listen. She's a Bjork freak and loves exploration. She's going to go there. The new record will have all kinds of stuff - she's going to want to replicate it. We'll see what happens. But i understand the concern and it's a good question. Off to Hollywood to celebrate!

luv yawl.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
oliez
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
She's a Bjork freak.

In that case you guys should do a halloween show and she can wear a swan dress and sing a version of Unravel or Cocoon...well maybe not Cocoon...

If that happens I think we could all forgive the giving up of the Rhodes. At least tape a picture of it in front of the keyboard so fans can still see it when they go to a show (isn't it a good feeling with everyone starts cheering when they bring it on stage?) It will be good to hear different experimental piano sounds with this new record. Thank you for the answer.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
We face the same dilemma you guys are verbalizing so well.
There's no great solution. We love the Rhodes, but they are heavy
and fragile. The legs keep getting ripped off... (every tour), the
action and tuning get's whacked... (there are real wooden parts in there).
The keyboard she's getting is really a computer... a midi. It's about 7g.
The band isn't leaving their indie, raw roots, but for a long time, Stacy
has been hammering out tunes on a piano... Piano is all OVER Room Noises, if you just listen. She's a Bjork freak and loves exploration. She's going to go there. The new record will have all kinds of stuff - she's going to want to replicate it. We'll see what happens. But i understand the concern and it's a good question. Off to Hollywood to celebrate!

luv yawl.

Wooden tuning? You have to manually crank a wooden nob to adjust the pitch?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
norad
Vintage Newbie

On a Rhodes, yes. My dad says that's the downside of them.
sweeeeet
Golly, Poster

doreen wrote:
I have one of those "high-tech" keyboards and while I love all the sounds/noises..I would prefer to have an authentic vintage Wurlitzer or Rhodes.
If Stacy's giving up the Rhodes, she should just sell it to one of us! Very Happy

I used to have one! a 1971 Mark I Rhodes with screw on legs that I played in my old band. I'm so sorry I don't have it anymore. We had to sell it because we needed the money and had nowhere to keep it. We got 200 dollars for it.

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

boyd wrote:

She's a Bjork freak and loves exploration. She's going to go there. The new record will have all kinds of stuff - she's going to want to replicate it.

Oooh, you know what. Even w/o the rhodes, hearing that little bit of info, I get excited...
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

sweeeeet wrote:
doreen wrote:
I have one of those "high-tech" keyboards and while I love all the sounds/noises..I would prefer to have an authentic vintage Wurlitzer or Rhodes.
If Stacy's giving up the Rhodes, she should just sell it to one of us! Very Happy

I used to have one! a 1971 Mark I Rhodes with screw on legs that I played in my old band. I'm so sorry I don't have it anymore. We had to sell it because we needed the money and had nowhere to keep it. We got 200 dollars for it.

200 dollars? That's a good deal. The Rhodes I have has screw in legs, but they take forever to screw in, and they aren't very secure, so we bought a hefty keyboard stand, and it works pretty well.

I think one of the best things about the Rhodes is it's stage presence. People are like "woah, that thing is cool", even when they don't know what it is.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
giant_
Laughing Citizen

I hope the rhodes is never left behind. My friend just got one and it really doesnt matter what you play on it, it sounds 100% awesomer than an actual piano.
boyd
Eisleyoid

Yeah... I agree; nothing sounds like a Rhodes.... Well, except the best plug in's that money can buy.... See, this is becoming more about the artistry of Album # 2 than is is about a production solution... I totally realize that Eisley has some brand equity invested in the Rhodes... but we'll just have to look at the live side after unbridaled creativity in the studio runs it's merry course. Then, the answers will be clearer; there may be concessions... But they'll be for the good of the record; Technology is something the band is intent on embracing. -f "Lounge Lizzard" is the virtual Rhodes...and a jillion other sounds are needed to pull the record off live.... Then they'll go there.... Bd

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
theburris
Sea Post King

I played a rhodes today at Guitar Center, but alas I ended up buying another drum stool instead. Thus is the life of a drummer.

http://www.purevolume.com/simplywaiting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

boyd wrote:
Yeah... I agree; nothing sounds like a Rhodes.... Well, except the best plug in's that money can buy....

i don't even think "the best plug in's that money can buy" sound quite like a rhodes. the only way to get that sound is to use that instrument, and even the best emulations are just emulations, and aren't the same at all.

i can understand if they don't keep using it, but it would be a shame. such a wonderful sound...
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
boyd wrote:
Yeah... I agree; nothing sounds like a Rhodes.... Well, except the best plug in's that money can buy....

i don't even think "the best plug in's that money can buy" sound quite like a rhodes. the only way to get that sound is to use that instrument, and even the best emulations are just emulations, and aren't the same at all.

i can understand if they don't keep using it, but it would be a shame. such a wonderful sound...

They might not be able to emulate the actual soundwave pattern of a rhode's down the exact specifications, but it's getting to the point where the human ear cannot tell the difference.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chris_Mulder
Sea Post King

I always thought a Hammond B3 would sound good in Eisley's music, then again the B3 sounds cool no matter what.

I never knew what kind of keyboard Stacy used, it's good to finally know. Smile
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

do not be afraid. wrote:
boyd wrote:

Have you ever heard Lounge Lizard? Even the Rhodes/Wurli freaks I hang out with really dig it. I highly recommend checking it out. If Eisley uses something other than the Rhodes in order to get the Rhodes sound, I can pretty much guarantee that it will be that plug-in, and not be any onboard patch of a keyboard. Onboard patches are not friendly at all to the Rhodes and Wurli, since pretty much no keyboards that I know of have the cpu power and/or memory to do justice to the instruments. (The new "keyboard" they have I'm not really considering a keyboard, since it is more of a workstation that happens to have a keyboard attached to it.)

Also, the typical sound most people think of when they think of a Rhodes is a Rhodes through a miced guitar amp. The guitar amp can add just a little bit of grit to the sound that is super sweet, as well as adding some friendly EQ and phase tweaking by way of the 12'' speaker(s). To my knowledge, Eisley has, unfortunately, never had this setup yet. Hopefully, if the real Rhodes remains in the live show, we will be able to move to that at some point, but if not, I am fairly certain that the plug-in is closer to a standard Rhodes sound than the DIed Rhodes that Stacy has been playing.
Mark
Last edited by Kappa962 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
boone
Vintage Newbie

Rhodes pianos were always tested by Fender with Twin Reverb amps, and supposedly that's what they sound best amplified with.

From what I can tell, Stacy always used a DI.