Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

bn_me wrote:
Btw, she has one that is sort of glittery gold (which one is that)?

It's the Gretsch. Smile I'm pretty sure it's silver, though. I could have sworn I had more pictures of it.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

TheAntrider wrote:
bn_me wrote:

It's the Gretsch. Smile I'm pretty sure it's silver, though. I could have sworn I had more pictures of it.

yeah, here's a better picture of just the guitar (or, rather, a guitar the same model as chauntelle's):

Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
bn_me
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
bn_me wrote:

Probably the lighting in the venue made it look somewhat gold. Anyways... since I'm no guitar buff, it's a nice looking guitar to have on stage, especially when being played by a guitarist such as Chauntelle.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
Saellys wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:
i guess people just don't like gretsch... Sad

I like Gretsch just fine, but they haven't really been the same since Fender bought them.

what are you talking about? ask anyone who knows and loves gretsch, and they'll tell you that fender gretsch is far better than "prefender" gretsch.

while everyone would agree that the best gretsch guitars are those from the '50s and '60s, the "prefender" gretsch guitars of the late '80s through early '00s are probably the worst ever, using cheap electronics, subpar pickups, and completely ignoring historical accuracy on their "vintage reissues", and, once, when people directly asked the gretsch family why they didn't solve these problems, they said, basically, "what's in it for us?"

not even baldwin treated gretsch as poorely, although they did make rather pathetic attempts at "keeping up with the times", which simply didn't work.

fender, who didn't buy them, by the way, but took over handling of product development, production, distribution, marketing, and support, has fixed most of the problems, and is building the best gretsches since, well, probably the '50s and '60s!

I was referring to the vintage Gretsches, as I wasn't sure exactly when Fender "took over" Gretsch. By the way, what's the difference between buying a rival company and just taking over every possible aspect of running the company?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

bn_me wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
bn_me wrote:

Probably the lighting in the venue made it look somewhat gold. Anyways... since I'm no guitar buff, it's a nice looking guitar to have on stage, especially when being played by a guitarist such as Chauntelle.

It's not silver and it's not gold. Very Happy
http://orangegoldandgreen.net/gear.html
Gretsch 6129T-62 "Sparkle Jet" (Champagne Sparkle)
-1962 reissue
-very similar to model played by George Harrison

You can see the color really well in this photo:
Last edited by norad on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
sleepydusk
Sea Post King

Chauntelle's Gretsch is pink (well, Champagne Sparkle, according to OGG). It's definitely the coolest guitar ever in my opinion.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
I was referring to the vintage Gretsches, as I wasn't sure exactly when Fender "took over" Gretsch. By the way, what's the difference between buying a rival company and just taking over every possible aspect of running the company?

the difference is that fender didn't buy the company. while fender handles most of what the consumer deals with as far as guitars go, another company handles the drums, and the gretsch family handles most of the "business" stuff.

patrock wrote:
-1962 reissue

hmm... i've never seen that color before. what year is that? and, while i'm asking questions about chauntelle's gretsch, does anyone know if she's kept it stock, or made any modifications, upgrades, whatever?

i'm not sure how much faith i'd put into that description on OGG, though, considering how unlike george harrison's jet it is (which, to be clear, is about as far apart as any two jets can be, and that's much farther than you might think.) the specific differences are the shape, color, inlays, pickups, controls, and bridge. or, in other words, nearly everything.

gretsch is currently marketing a replica of george harrison's jet as "6128TSP".

anyways, while we're talking about gretsch, i think it would be cool to see eisley play one of gretsch's "cadillac green" models, like this, this, or this, because i'm always reminded of eisley when i look at them, perhaps because they're green and gold. no orange, though, but they could always solve that with one of these, a replica of the greatest guitar ever made, in my completely biased opinion. cows... cacti... "g brands"... heaven...

anyways, to bring this all back to rickenbacker, if there's any model people should be crying and/or drooling over, it's this one:

you can find more pictures of it here, if you want.
norad
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:

patrock wrote:
-1962 reissue

hmm... i've never seen that color before. what year is that? and, while i'm asking questions about chauntelle's gretsch, does anyone know if she's kept it stock, or made any modifications, upgrades, whatever?

i'm not sure how much faith i'd put into that description on OGG, though, considering how unlike george harrison's jet it is (which, to be clear, is about as far apart as any two jets can be, and that's much farther than you might think.) the specific differences are the shape, color, inlays, pickups, controls, and bridge. or, in other words, nearly everything.

I don't really know what his guitar looks like. It only says they are similar.
From searching the model in google and looking at the gretsch site the model seems pretty dead on to me. So it's a 1962. Like OGG says.
boone
Vintage Newbie

The thing about Rickenbackers is that they tend to be made completely of maple, which causes a brighter sound (even with hollowbodies.) Also, all of their guitars are neck-thrus, which means the neck wood runs through the length of the bodies, to which the pickups and bridge are connected. No glue and no neck joints lead to better sustain, and more vibration which leads to a brighter sound as well. On top of that, they use pretty unique, trebly pickups with strange components such as horseshoe magnets. You can definitely tell a Ric when you hear one.

Gretsches are also known for their bright sounds, due to their use of Duosonic and Filtertron pickups. They're known to have a pretty mean country spank, even with humbuckers. They're also known for having strange, wobbly bridges, so if you care a lot about intonation, you may not want one.

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:

patrock wrote:
-1962 reissue

I don't really know what his guitar looks like. It only says they are similar.
From searching the model in google and looking at the gretsch site the model seems pretty dead on to me. So it's a 1962. Like OGG says.

i wasn't saying that it wasn't a 1962 reissue, because it cleary is, just the george harrison never played a 1962 duojet, as far as i know. the jet that he used was a 1957, which is almost completely different from a 1962. his looks like this:

Quote:
The thing about Rickenbackers is that they tend to be made completely of maple, which causes a brighter sound (even with hollowbodies.) Also, all of their guitars are neck-thrus, which means the neck wood runs through the length of the bodies, to which the pickups and bridge are connected. No glue and no neck joints lead to better sustain, and more vibration which leads to a brighter sound as well. On top of that, they use pretty unique, trebly pickups with strange components such as horseshoe magnets. You can definitely tell a Ric when you hear one.

most electric guitars were made completely out of maple when rickenbacker started building them, and they simply kept it up as a matter of habit. most gibson hollow and semihollow guitars are also entirely maple, and nobody considers them to sound "bright". they're bright because of the design of "toaster top" pickups.

the horseshoe magnet pickups, however, are not bright. they have a warm, smooth, sound, even in the bridge position, which is why they are so popular on steel guitars and basses.

Quote:
Gretsches are also known for their bright sounds, due to their use of Duosonic and Filtertron pickups. They're known to have a pretty mean country spank, even with humbuckers. They're also known for having strange, wobbly bridges, so if you care a lot about intonation, you may not want one.

i don't know if i'd call gretsch "bright", nesscarily.

dynasonics are more often described as "dark" and "thick", and sound most like a gibson p90, fender jazzmaster pickup, or other similar "fat" single-coil, which are also not considered particularly bright.

filtertrons are better described as "full" and "even", and are not particularly bright or dark, unless you are comparing them to other humbuckers, which is also true of other "minihumbuckers".

hilotrons are the real "bright" gretsch pickup, but you didn't even mention them Sad.

they do have a great "mean country spank", particularly the dynasonic and hilotron models, although they've also been used quite succesfully in jazz, soul, pop, and even "hard rock" (AC/DC, anyone?), and, really, just about every other style of music electric guitars can be used in.

also, the bridges are not "strange and wobbly", and they intonate perfectly fine, so long as you use the strings they were designed to be used with (.011s or higher, with a wound third). lighter guage strings won't work as well, but that isn't the fault of the bridge, as they were designed at a time when lighter guage strings didn't even exist. gretsch has used updated bridges on many of their guitars, but the vintage reissues use the vintage bridges, for obvious reasons.
boone
Vintage Newbie

As far as the Rics go, I was speaking more of the maple solid bodies being more unusual than the hollowbodies. The Rics were known at the time for their bright, jangly tone while being used by bands such as The Byrds. "Even their hollowbodies" didn't mean that even the hollowbodies were made of maple, but that even the hollowbodies had that unique Rickenbacker tone. Also, don't forget that at the time, solid body guitars usually had mahogany bodies and necks (on the Gibson side with set necks) and ash bodies and maple necks (for bolt-on neck guitars like Fender). Hollowbodies were generally all maple (with set necks, besides the Coronado and Starcaster), though Gibson usually used mahogany necks which equalled darker tones.

And most people generally concede that a Gretsch even with humbuckers has a pretty percussive midrangey sound, yes, very close to a p-90 sound. P-90s aren't as bright as, say, a Telecaster bridge, but they are way more articulate than a humbucker usually is. I'm not by any stretch calling a Gretsch shrill, but they aren't as warm sounding as they would appear, which makes them great for lead in country music, but that doesn't mean they aren't appropriate for any other kind of music. Dave Gilmour used to use White Falcons. The bridges aren't bad, and they certainly hold intonation, but they're designed to be used with Bigsby tailpieces and they're a bit loose to lessen friction on the strings. I have no doubt they stay in tune great, but I imagine somebody who uses Floyd Rose bridges wouldn't be interested.

No need to be so defensive.

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

boone wrote:
No need to be so defensive.

i can't help it! i've been that way since i can remember... actually, i was just posting that same thing on another board, like, uh, 5 minutes ago... maybe something about today made me especially defensive? hmm... maybe... i don't know what though...

although i still don't see how a filtertron has an "percussive midrange sound", unless you dial it in (like a lot of the newish rockabilly guys do, to get more of a dynasonic sort of sound). they have a really smooth and even tone, perhaps even a bit bland, that responds a lot to the player, the amp, the effects, and other "tone shaping" aspects. dynasonics, though, fit that description perfectly.

i also think all gretsch guitars do just fine outside of country, and i think we mostly seem them used in country and rockabilly because of how they've been "classified", not because of their own limitations. you can get an incredible jazz tone out of a 6120 with dynasonics, for instance, but few bother to try...
boone
Vintage Newbie

Well, Telecaster ain't just for country either.
adibmuhammad
Sea Post King

do not be afraid. wrote:

there aren't any stores anywhere that carry rickenbackers. rickenbacker is back ordered by about a year and a half, or something like that, and most stores just don't want to put up with their $#@!, or simply can't get any stock. if you want a rickenbacker you pretty much have to order it, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait... or buy used... or build one yourself.

all i can say is - "dang it." well, if its worth the wait [or so they say], i guess i'll wait till i have enough money in my savings, then i'll order one, and then wait again till it arrives. And wait, and wait, and wait... Sad
Joined: 13 Sep 2006 | Posts: 79 | Location: cyberjaya/kuala lumpur, malaysia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deadpoet
Sea Post King

I own this one.

It was kind of Sherri inspired when I bought it. I found it at a pawn shop. I like it, but I put in flatwound strings for some reason and now I need to restring it because I don't like the flatwounds. I don't play it enough. Whenever I play out at places I usually play one of my other guitars. But it is nice. It also has a Bixby tremelo arm, which is a nice perk. I can't find any other 480 models with a Bixby on them.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>