Laughing City
dannychair
Golly, Poster

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I don't know why it would be so difficult live. It's their basic rock setup, in simple time, the vocals seem well within comfortable range.

That's what I was wondering. The high note Sherri hits in the middle-eight is the same as in the verses of Lost At Sea and is a half-step lower than the chorus of Invasion. She sounds great when she sings those songs live.

PoorMe
Sea Post King

This is my favourite Room Noises song. I imagine seeing it live would be incredible to say the least.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

dannychair wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
I don't know why it would be so difficult live. It's their basic rock setup, in simple time, the vocals seem well within comfortable range.

That's what I was wondering. The high note Sherri hits in the middle-eight is the same as in the verses of Lost At Sea and is a half-step lower than the chorus of Invasion. She sounds great when she sings those songs live.

how do you know this - have a musically trained ear?
i took some theory but am nowhere near the point where i could hear a song and say what notes are being sung.

dannychair
Golly, Poster

bigideas wrote:
dannychair wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

i took some theory but am nowhere near the point where i could hear a song and say what notes are being sung.

I'm not trained, I tried to learn a little on my own though. I like singing a lot so I could tell that Invasion was a bit higher and Lost At Sea was the same when I sing along. I didn't know exactly what notes they were until I tried it out on a piano.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

dannychair wrote:
bigideas wrote:
dannychair wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

I'm not trained, I tried to learn a little on my own though. I like singing a lot so I could tell that Invasion was a bit higher and Lost At Sea was the same when I sing along. I didn't know exactly what notes they were until I tried it out on a piano.

so who sings higher notes?
this came up in another thread - maybe it was even you, not sure.
i always thought Stacy sang higher than Sherri, but i've never actually tried to figure it out on piano or anything.

norad
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
dannychair wrote:
bigideas wrote:
dannychair wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

i always thought Stacy sang higher than Sherri, but i've never actually tried to figure it out on piano or anything.

WHAT?! Sherri's voice is obviously higher than Stacy's.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
It clearly is
Golly, Poster

patrock wrote:
bigideas wrote:
dannychair wrote:
bigideas wrote:
dannychair wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Sherri's voice is higher. Stacy's voice changes from her chest voice to her head voice at a lower note than Sherri's does.

Edit: Okay I just checked on a piano and I think the highest note Stacy sings in any of the songs is a D5 during the middle-eight of Marvelous Things ("oh, lying in the sun, every day feeling all of the magic in life and the wonder"). I'm nearly positive the highest note Sherri sings is an F5 in the Chorus of Invasion ("You, you you you, you won't take the breath from my throat"). There's not a huge gap between their highest notes but Sherri tends to sing closer to that much more often.

Last edited by dannychair on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

really?

i feel really dumb now. Crying or Very sad

to me it seemed that Stacy's voice was more angelic, pure, effortless, while Sheri seemed to strain and crack at times, more of an indie rock voice.

i'm NOT saying i think one is better than the other - Sherri is prob my all around favorite of the group - but that was my impression.

now in another thread someone said something about Stacy's voice changing - i haven't heard or seen anything live post Room Noises/HATS EP, so i don't know if this changes the circumstances or not.

dannychair
Golly, Poster

bigideas wrote:
really?

i feel really dumb now. Crying or Very sad

to me it seemed that Stacy's voice was more angelic, pure, effortless, while Sheri seemed to strain and crack at times, more of an indie rock voice.

i'm NOT saying i think one is better than the other - Sherri is prob my all around favorite of the group - but that was my impression.

now in another thread someone said something about Stacy's voice changing - i haven't heard or seen anything live post Room Noises/HATS EP, so i don't know if this changes the circumstances or not.

Aww don't feel dumb, a lot of people mix them up.

I can hear a difference in Stacy's voice when I compare Blackened Crown with anything on Room Noises. Her voice is a little deeper and she sounds older.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

dannychair wrote:

I can hear a difference in Stacy's voice when I compare Blackened Crown with anything on Room Noises. Her voice is a little deeper and she sounds older.

my statements above have nothing to do with mixing them up.

i can tell their voices apart perfectly and have seen them live several times.

(to clarify, i haven't said that i'm right and everyone else is wrong at any point. this is just weirding me out that everyone has come to a different conclusion than i).

SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

i love this song.i play it the most on my ipod.
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

bigideas wrote:
dannychair wrote:

my statements above have nothing to do with mixing them up.

i can tell their voices apart perfectly and have seen them live several times.

(to clarify, i haven't said that i'm right and everyone else is wrong at any point. this is just weirding me out that everyone has come to a different conclusion than i).

i understand how you could have thought stacy sings higher... she definitely goes into her head-voice more often. But Sherri undoubtedly has the higher range, it just may not seem so since she stays in chest-voice most of the time (which is ...dang impressive. she has a ridiculous range).

interesting tidbit: if you havent yet, try to find the show in San Diego last year where Stacy sang lead, when Sherri was sick. there's a part in Marvelous Things where she sings melody. you'll be able to tell the range difference there.

but yeah.. definitely listen to Blackened Crown, then switch to one of the new songs if you want to hear stacy's voice-change.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Christophjam
Sea Post King

yeah I think Stacy switches from high to low more often, yes, but I think her voice has gotten a lot lower, like if you listen to some of their final noise shows,she sings a lot of the songs on room noises a lot lower than their recorded versions...which I like a lot better, cuz there's more range.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

ok. i hadn't actually listened to an Eisley CD's in awhile when posting this yesterday, but i did revisit Room Noises today on the way to work.

how about the harmony part Stacy sings on One Day during the bridge, the high "scenery paintings" part? that seems really high to me. but listening to the album i see that most of the time when they harmonize stacy is singing the lower part, sherri the higher.

so if sherri has a higher vocal range, could it be said that stacy has a 'wider' vocal range, because i never hear sherri singing as low as stacy does at times - this statement does not factor in anything post Room Noises.