8%  [ 2 ]
The Boy With No Name
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

***Update***

Sorry - I don't know how to edit Polls to add the newest album up there - If someone knows how, tell me please.

New album came out 11-4-08:

Ode to J. Smith

for current thoughts go to Page 2

**************posted 5-2-07***********************

Travis have a new album coming out next week.

Apparently there has never been a thread here dedicated to them (or at least I did not find one through the Search function).

I've been revisiting 12 Memories, and their live DVD, At the Palace, the last couple days. I think I'll listen to The Man Who tomorrow.

New video/single up on Myspace:

www.myspace.com/travis

why not have a favorite album vote for the fun of it?
(although i guess the new album option is only for the illegal downloaders who have had time to live with it)

Last edited by bigideas on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:11 am; edited 4 times in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I have only extensively listened to 12 Memories, but I have at least one other. I need to listen to them more ...

There probably used to be a thread, but it was pruned to keep the forum at a functional size. Stupid Web space ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

They're still together? I haven't heard anyone mention them in over five years.

Flickr
Transvaal IV - Myspace : Virb
Deep Thoughts About Shallow Subjects
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

yeah, they took a break for about a year.

Which is why you haven't heard them mentioned.

Incidentally, i think i did make a thread when I fell in love with their last album and was like "what's goin' on with this band! where are they?" Laughing

I don't think i'll buy the new one...

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

the new one leaked a few weeks ago. it's pretty god. i think if it came out like 3 years ago i would've loved it, but my musical taste has definately changed since high school. i voted "invisile band" because that was my first travis album and i've always had a strong attachment to it.

"good feeling" is a very fun record. very different from their other stuff, you should check it out.

Russell
Golly, Poster

I don't really like Travis, but I do like "Love Will Come Through" and "Coming Around"
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

there's something about Travis that makes it "un-macho" to say you like them. i'm not sure why. maybe because all or most of their singles (not really Why Does It Always Rain on Me?) are so sunny.

i think most of the videos are real cutesy too, like the new one.

all i'm going on is the music really. to me Fran Healy seems to be about the closest to a young Paul McCartney there is now days. not sure exactly while i feel that, but i do.

I actually listened through The Invisible Band today. I think it's pretty good with the exception of Follow the Light and Afterglo. Sometimes Fran's lyrics are so elementary they're annoying.

Seeing their live DVD really changed my perception of them though.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I love those lads. I'm told KT Tunstall did guest vocals on the new album.

Their videos are brilliant and I can't wait to get the new album.

Anyone else notice a trend with anonymity in their album titles? The Man Who, The Invisible Band, The Boy With No Name... Hmm. Since 12 Memories was a departure stylistically as well as in moniker, maybe the new one will be more of a return to form. Not that I didn't absolutely love 12 Memories or anything. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:

I actually listened through The Invisible Band today. I think it's pretty good with the exception of Follow the Light and Afterglo. Sometimes Fran's lyrics are so elementary they're annoying.

give "afterglow" another chance! it may not have the best lyrics, but it sounds pretty.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

dont_panic wrote:
bigideas wrote:

give "afterglow" another chance! it may not have the best lyrics, but it sounds pretty.

i've listened to it a million times. still feels like a b-side.
it's crazy though, they've been putting different songs on their myspace pretty frequently and it sounds like they have a lot of good b-sides.

Mid-Life Krysis is the stinker for me on 12 Memories.

dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
dont_panic wrote:
bigideas wrote:

i've listened to it a million times. still feels like a b-side.
it's crazy though, they've been putting different songs on their myspace pretty frequently and it sounds like they have a lot of good b-sides.

Mid-Life Krysis is the stinker for me on 12 Memories.

they have awesome b-sides. try to find "we are monkeys" and "a little bit of soul." i also think they do great covers, "be my baby" is my favorite (after "baby one more time," of course).

i could never get into 12 memories as much. "mid-life krysis" is definattely not their best, but "love will come through" is definately up there.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I would put 12 Memories ahead of Invisible Band, but behind The Man Who. I really like How Many Hearts and Somewhere Else. I like it all with the exception of Mid-Life and Peace isn't the greatest.

according to my Myspace Bulletin, the entire album is up on their page for streaming.

epilp88
Sea Post King

The new album is INCREDIBLE. I'd rate it their best one yet, then probably either The Man Who or The Invisible Band. Tough call
Joined: 27 Jan 2007 | Posts: 25 | Location: Laughing City, Idaho
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Well, I kinda wanted to get this today, but then I went to their UK website and it says the UK version has 2 bonus tracks. Then reading on their messageboard they said the US version has one bonus track.

very confusing

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I have decided I shall buy this today. I am very much looking forward to it. Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...

goto page
 | next >>