Laughing City
Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

Is it bad to get defensive when others insult/bash Eisley?
I mean, even after we change the subject i am still very upset.
Is that being too sensitive?

Joshmess
Golly, Poster

i do too.

like when people say they suck because they don't like the genre.
don't worry not every likes eisley because not everyone can see what great technical musical talent they have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mister_Pine
Sea Post King

nobody has said that to me, but i'd definitely get angry. I don't know if I would let my anger loose or just try to ignore their dumbness.

Either way, I try to stay away from the topic of music in any conversation unless they bring it up. Then, I try to change the subject quickly.

Music just isn't a good thing to discuss with people like that. Rolling Eyes

Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

Mister_Pine wrote:

Music just isn't a good thing to discuss with people like that. Rolling Eyes

oh my gosh do i know that now! Ugh, stubborn people like that... Evil or Very Mad

Kayci
Golly, Poster

My best friend and the only of my friends who doesn't get all her music off the radio hates their music. It makes for some friction when we're discussing music because Eisley is one of my favorite bands and I'm generally more diplomatic than she is when it comes to talking about bands I dislike. I generally agree with her on most points but I get annoyed with her when she says they suck.. I wouldn't say it's bad to get defensive.
comeclean
Sea Post King

I got really mad at my sister over Eisley :\ Because, she didn't want to listen to Combinations with me on Myspace lmao So yeah.. I get what you're saying, completely.
Vintage Newbie

I don't think get angry/defensive does much good in any circumstance, but you should definitely hold your ground if someone resorts to senseless bashing or name calling. That being said, you shouldn't confuse that with legimate disagreement or criticism.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mister_Pine
Sea Post King

comeclean wrote:
I got really mad at my sister over Eisley :\ Because, she didn't want to listen to Combinations with me on Myspace lmao So yeah.. I get what you're saying, completely.

haha... i'm a little mad at my sister too because she has yet to listen to any of the new eisley stuff I've given her. She's being really stupid, but that's not something new with her lately.

comeclean
Sea Post King

Mister_Pine wrote:
comeclean wrote:

haha... i'm a little mad at my sister too because she has yet to listen to any of the new eisley stuff I've given her. She's being really stupid, but that's not something new with her lately.

Lmao for some reason I thought you put "I'm a little mat at your sister too" and I was like.. what... am I being confused with someone else. Haha, thats what being awake this tired will do to me. She finally did listen with me on the way to and from the Astros game because I forced her and she said she liked it, and liked that they didn't cuss (she only listens to KSBJ usually), so I kind of forgave her.

Laughing Citizen

My sister just listens to mainstream junk... i told her to listen to eisley she's like "ugh no" It's annoying Rolling Eyes She thinks all my music is stupid or something, without ever even giving it a chance
Mormon_seebs
Sea Post King

starnothing wrote:
My sister just listens to mainstream junk... i told her to listen to eisley she's like "ugh no" It's annoying Rolling Eyes She thinks all my music is stupid or something, without ever even giving it a chance

that's pretty much all my guy friends views on music. According to them, if they haven't heard of the band, or it hasn't been on the radio it's no good. and if it's female vocals it's "sissy".

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mister_Pine
Sea Post King

starnothing wrote:

yeah... i think the other way around. Most mainstream stuff is stupid. I listen to a few mainstream artists, but only the ones that really stand out and stand up for their music and stuff if that makes sense.

ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

Mylovelyislostatsea wrote:
Is it bad to get defensive when others insult/bash Eisley?
I mean, even after we change the subject i am still very upset.
Is that being too sensitive?

well, it depends on how you look at it. I'm very selective about my friends and if someone does a lot of bashing I might be nice to them but they essentially weeded themself out of the small number of people I would ever consider a good friend. So you could just look at other people's negative behaviors as a way for you to save time...as they say, be a professional sucker ducker.

You gotta bring negative people to a higher level. You do that redirecting them: ask them so what bands do you like a lot?

Another thing i suggest is to not argue with them unless you agree with them. You could be assertive instead. For example, my cousin thinks joan baez sucks. instead of saying, no she doesn't, she's awesome (and trying to convince him otherwise), i think its better to be assertive and say I absolutely love joan baez. Notice that you aren't trying to change their mind, you're just asserting your preferences. As soon as you falsely agree to someone else's tatses they become the dominant person in the friendship/relationship.
liquor_up
Sea Post King

If the music makes you feel good, then the nay-sayers don't really have an argument. If it's at all possible, you should beat the living crap out of them. Just for fun.
ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

starnothing wrote:

i think a relationship to art is a personal thing, and while you could casually reccomend something you can't control how they will percieve it. Thats one thing thats interesting about art: its like quantum physics or something: the act of observing and the observer actually changes the art.