Laughing City
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

LadyJaneGrey wrote:
Boyd mentioned everyone sang on one song...it is Come Clean, correct?

Yeah. One of the youtube webisodes contains footage of the recording.

Laughing Citizen

Binary Dragon wrote:
I posted some links to it in an old thread on Tuesday. I don't want to dig them up, but you should be able to search for it.

As far as the album, I am completely unable to find words to describe how I feel about it. So I'll just say "I'm completely enchanted" and leave it at that.

found it. thank you very much. Smile
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit
Sea Post King

Oh man, Eisley should totally cover "Black Sheep Wall". Classic pop song.

keithabbott wrote:
Finally an Eisley fan that likes tIM. Smile I know tIM fans that like Eisley, but not the reversal. hehe. I'm old school though. I like their first three albums with A&M the most. I miss their drummer Steve. I feel like it really added to the sound. Gave it more variety.

Kit wrote:
keithabbott wrote:
You guys are beginning to remind me of Innocence Mission fans. One half likes the heavy guitars and the other likes the more acoustic/less orchestrated versions.

It's a hard marriage to master.

Innocence Mission are fantastic. I could listen to Birds of My Neighborhood on repeat.
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I'm not so sure about BSW. That's quite a personal song that I'm not sure would translate well. Not that Eisley know who the Innocence Mission are, because I doubt they do, but if I had to pick some song from tIM's first three albums to cover I'd go with something like, Sorry And Glad Together, Surreal or Keeping Awake or Brave. There are a lot of opportunities for backing vocals. But I'd love to hear Chauntelle rip on the guitar with Spinning. Smile

Kit wrote:
Oh man, Eisley should totally cover "Black Sheep Wall". Classic pop song.

keithabbott wrote:
Finally an Eisley fan that likes tIM. Smile I know tIM fans that like Eisley, but not the reversal. hehe. I'm old school though. I like their first three albums with A&M the most. I miss their drummer Steve. I feel like it really added to the sound. Gave it more variety.

Kit wrote:
keithabbott wrote:
You guys are beginning to remind me of Innocence Mission fans. One half likes the heavy guitars and the other likes the more acoustic/less orchestrated versions.

Innocence Mission are fantastic. I could listen to Birds of My Neighborhood on repeat.

RhymeloveandMelody
Lost at Forum

Content wise, to me, Combinations is a very mature album. If they wanted to make a statement to anyone labeling them as too immature and dreamy this is the album to do it with. There isn't really any "fluff" as there has been in any of their previous efforts. Most of Eisley's songs usually comes with imagery or a little somethin added in the lyrics to make you smile,keeping it playful no matter the subject matter, almost softening the blow of what is being said but with Combinations there was a whole range of emotions being conveyed and they just pretty much came out and said it. And if it didn't come across in the lyrics, you got the jist of things from the music that complemented them (I'm lookin at you Sight to be Hold Smile ) At least, that's what I took from the album. It's up and down and not as sweet as Room Noises. I don't know if they deliberately shyed away from the playful lyricism but it's along way from anything they have done before and I am proud of them for it. Although, I do hope they don't lose that dreaminess or imagination in their song writing. I don't think they ever will after listening to Marsh King's Daughter but I'm just saying, as a fan, that is what is the most appealing to me and what makes me love this band so much.

Song wise, the song Combinations was the best in my opinion. Man do these girls know how to write achingly poignant love songs. I also loved Go Away. The rest of the album took a few listens to really grow on me but I liked them nonetheless and appreciated the message, mostly of taking control and I could be there for you. Ten Cent Blues is a sweet song also. Well, there is my 2 cents. Thanks for the album guys!

Joined: 16 Jan 2004 | Posts: 1152 | Location: San Benito, Texas
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

*notes how the thread died down on friday*

IT COMES OUT TODAY OVER HERE!

Today i only worked the morn'. So i came prepared. I brought my melladroid hoodie (which allowed me to talk to a colleage about the band... woo), and some money, and then cycled off into town. I also picked up (finally) one of the tees i ordered for my trip to London. That's another story.

So, since I've listened to it once the way through (including bonus tracks), i'm gunna add my... ten cents (pun fully intended... sorry!)

To understand how much or even why I love Combinations so much, you need to consider where I came from when I first heard a few tracks off of Room Noises. My musical training up to that point had been radio and TV, largely MTV and Top of The Pops. This was mainly slagging off/looking at/wondering why the heck they were on the radio when they're pants the really nice looking popstars... but there we are. I'd also dipped into Radio Scotland, The Odd Hack Band (canadian based band that did Scottish traditionals). Oh, and Midlake. Midlake and Eisley were breaths of fresh air. They were different. I liked 'em enough to listen, and then to buy (I bought Kingfish Pies single for £5. It would've cost £1 instore. I also bought both Eisley EPs). I simply fell in love.

I have been listening to Room Noises recently. It remains in my top 10 albums that i've ever bought. I don't know what it is. It just is. yes. it is what it is.

I was probably subconsciously wondering how Eisley could improve on such a stunning debut. I knew I liked what I had heard of Combinations... but i didn't really think about what it should be or anything.

I get home after negotiating the business of town, and my lack of energy, and immediately put the record on and turn the volume up. The answer to that subconscious Q was incredibly simple: they became more exciting. Garron's swirly bass parts, Weston's drumming is much more complex but still very him, the bursts of guitar chords that remind me very much of The Who.... i'm not naming tracks for the simple reason that i've only listened to it once and thus do not have the track listing fully in my head [i remember going away at a Scripture Union holiday about two months after i got Room Noises, and the overall leader of the camp asked me across the dinner table, "so... what's track number 6 on Eisley's album?". And i got it, within about 1 second. "that's stupid..." muttered he]. In short, Eisley follow-up excites me just as Room Noises did, but for the nature of the music itself much more than the "breath of fresh air" point.

In a way i'm slightly glad that Golly Sandra and Marvelous things are bonus tracks. It did, at least, allow me to compare tiny snipits of both albums. And those tracks did sound flat. Still amazing... just flat. The only thing i think i'm miffed at is the length of time between If You're Wondering and Golly Sandra. I was left hanging for what seemed an eternity. It was a long enough gap, let it be said, to feel as if the CD player was about to make the noise that tells me a CD has stoped. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Had GS followed immediately after IYW it would've been great. But no...

Yeah, i'll be getting the DVD version on Amazon, unless they have it in London... which'd probably be cheaper and faster. And i'll be spinning that CD, because it won't have the bonus tracks.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

Honestly?

The lyrics feel like a step back, save for 10 cent blues. The producution is true to the helm...soundtracklike. And in that way perfect and less musical. These kids can play, let them just play in a room!

I love the songwriting, but the recording doesn't do it justice.
Last edited by theenvycorps on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Quote:
These kids can play, let them just play in a room!

Well, maybe with this album's ultimate 'popular' success the band will have earned enough respect with the masses to do just that.

jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

keithabbott wrote:

Kit wrote:
keithabbott wrote:

oh geeze! i love the innocence mission. i enjoy your many posts about them too. i didn't know you thought we didnt like them, they're great.

God Bless

Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

RhymeloveandMelody wrote:
Content wise, to me, Combinations is a very mature album. If they wanted to make a statement to anyone labeling them as too immature and dreamy this is the album to do it with. There isn't really any "fluff" as there has been in any of their previous efforts. Most of Eisley's songs usually comes with imagery or a little somethin added in the lyrics to make you smile,keeping it playful no matter the subject matter, almost softening the blow of what is being said but with Combinations there was a whole range of emotions being conveyed and they just pretty much came out and said it. And if it didn't come across in the lyrics, you got the jist of things from the music that complemented them (I'm lookin at you Sight to be Hold Smile ) At least, that's what I took from the album. It's up and down and not as sweet as Room Noises. I don't know if they deliberately shyed away from the playful lyricism but it's along way from anything they have done before and I am proud of them for it.!

I'm kind of tired of Eisley's "dreamyness" being taken for immature music. As for "fluff"... I guess that's what I loved about them because there is a lack of it on Combinations. I like that there was imagery/imagination/magic/inspiration with Room Noises... there is none of that on Comb. I think it requires MORE maturity to USE IMAGINATION when writing lyrics/songs. I can listen to adult contemporary for "mature" music.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I think the lack of "fantasy" and so on on this album mostly is due to the fact that they actually had something to talk about this time.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

Ear worm.
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Luke's Mom wrote:
Ear worm.

Definitely. I was pretty ambivalent to the whole album at first, but bits of it do get stuck in my head, and it's just about the funnest thing ever to sing along to while driving. Even if I don't have a hope in the world of hitting all the notes Stacy does. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I'm still not sure what to think about this album.
At first I hated Taking Control. Now I find it catchy and almost irresistable.

I think the album really fizzles out though. The last two songs on a 10 song album really just put me to sleep. If Combinations had to be the 9th track, song 10 should have been more powerful.
I also think the album is ridiculously overproduced. I want to hear some natural sounds.

10 Cent Blues is fantastic though. It almost sounds like it could be off one of the newer Bright Eyes albums at first.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
I also think the album is ridiculously overproduced. I want to hear some natural sounds.

I've seen this sentiment echoed in various places and I have to say this is one instance where I'm completely happy with the production. It's mostly the fact that Gibbs is a composer, and his arrangements are head and shoulders above what even the most sophisticated rock bands could devise. I don't mind that it's not "natural". Its masterful, and it suits the album and its themes. Songs like "Come Clean" and "Taking Control" would have sounded so empty without all that "unnatural" stuff.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...