Laughing City
bamccaig
Sea Post King

vivalaspopie wrote:
Yeah. Personally, I'd like more than 15KB for the avatar... but, I'll take what I can get.

Speaking of avatars, correct me if I'm wrong, but are they being hotlinked from other sites? Shocked What's more, if they're being hotlinked why is the size restriction so low? Understandably, you wouldn't want users to hotlink to a large image (and, therfore, lag the forum for users), but according to a test I just did with MSPaint a 24-bit BITMAP is only around 30,054 bytes (~30 KB).

Of course if you're not hotlinking (though you sure seem to be) then everything I just said is probably NULL... Embarassed Except for the hotlinking part being evil! Evil or Very Mad

Sephiroth: I will... never be a memory!
---
Everything changes when you say it out loud.
Joined: 21 Aug 2007 | Posts: 23 | Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

vivalaspopie wrote:
patrock wrote:
When the forum gets redone can our signature's pixel size get upped a little? Like, 500x150px instead of 500x120px?

Yeah. Personally, I'd like more than 15KB for the avatar... but, I'll take what I can get.

That will all depend on space limitations. It used to be that it was vital because the site was taking so much traffic. But with pruning, maybe it's not so brutal now?

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bamccaig
Sea Post King

bamccaig wrote:
...according to a test I just did with MSPaint a 24-bit BITMAP is only around 30,054 bytes (~30 KB).

A 100x100 24-bit bitmap, that is... Embarassed

---
gRegor
the gEek

Avatar/signature image restrictions might get upped a bit.

Avatars are all off-site, yes. Originally it was because we didn't feel like dealing with the potential security risks of allowing public uploads (and phpBB has had some security vulnerabilities over the years), plus it's in place from a while ago, when we didn't really care to take on the bandwidth when photobucket and the like would provide it for free. That's not as much an issue now.

Either way, it's in place because we don't want the forum to be super slow for dial-up users while they load your way-too-long animated avatar. Wink Bitmaps are a large file format and cannot be used for avatars anyway.

bamccaig
Sea Post King

gRegor wrote:
Either way, it's in place because we don't want the forum to be super slow for dial-up users while they load your way-too-long animated avatar. Wink

Which is why the profile would benefit from a configuration option to not display animated avatars as well as to not display avatars at all. This way users with a faster Internet connection can experience the forums in all their glory and those with limited bandwidth can still function on it effectively.

gRegor wrote:
Bitmaps are a large file format and cannot be used for avatars anyway.

This is why I emphasized BITMAP in the original post... Wink As far as I know it's among the largest image formats (due to it's explicit nature) so it's not very Web friendly. Razz

---
bamccaig
Sea Post King

bamccaig wrote:
This is why I emphasized BITMAP in the original post... Wink As far as I know it's among the largest image formats (due to it's explicit nature) so it's not very Web friendly. Razz

Ugh, I rather dislike threads lacking edit functionality... I also hate not making sense... I blame lack of caffeine because I haven't had a cola product in a week and I usually drink 8 cans of coke per day... My name is Brandon and I'm a coke addict...

To clear up what I meant, if a bitmap with the maximum allowed dimensions is only 30 KB then surely the Web friendly formats (i.e. JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc.) will be a lot smaller. So I guess I was arguing with myself. You probably shouldn't need more than 15 KB for a 100x100 avatar... But hotlinking is still wrong! Exclamation

---
blor
Sea Post King

bamccaig wrote:
Ugh, I rather dislike threads lacking edit functionality

there's an edit button...right at the top left corner of your post
[quote] [edit] [x]

Sea Post King

[quote="blor"]
bamccaig wrote:
Ugh, I rather dislike threads lacking edit functionality

there's an edit button...right at the top left corner of your post
Quote:
[edit] [x]

hmmpf...my bad...guess you can't in the news and ____ section

Protocol Droid

Yeah, no edit function in N&A at the moment. Be warned!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gRegor
the gEek

Editing is enabled for News & Announcements now; being one of the oldest forums it probably just got overlooked. Oops. Embarassed

I don't mind the avatar/paging user preference suggestions. Maybe someday they'll be implemented. I'm not disregarding them, they're just relatively low in priority at the moment. Being able to disable display of avatars would be a good preference for dial-up users, but in the meantime keeping the size low works (plus they can always disable images in their browser). Hotlinking isn't wrong if sites willingly permit it.

Posts-per-page preference is a good idea (up to a threshold, maybe 50; don't care to have people querying 7000-some posts for threads like "Post a picture").

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

gRegor wrote:
don't care to have people querying 7000-some posts for threads like "Post a picture").

Ha ha. Yeah. I thought about those ... we have some monster threads.

blor
Sea Post King

gRegor wrote:
Posts-per-page preference is a good idea (up to a threshold, maybe 50

that'd be cool...better than what it's set at now....15?

Laughing Citizen

I am probably just blind or stupid (which then this might be a good question then, since this site is for new comers and old comers alike!)

There's no music samples, are there? If so, where is it located?

I know most people and find other means to find music samples (myspace, other sites) but it was just a thought...for a band's website, maybe to have the music player available/easily found?

Thanks! Smile
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

gRegor wrote:
Being able to disable display of avatars would be a good preference for dial-up users, but in the meantime keeping the size low works (plus they can always disable images in their browser).

well, i would miss seeing everybodie's avatar if i had to disable them so the forum would work correctly. Sad

comeclean
Sea Post King

I'm really disappointed there is no way to buy shirts and things online anymore. I was hoping with the new site, it would be updated with new designs and things. Seems a shame, because I know other people like me who may not get to see Eisley would buy a shirt online.