Laughing City
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I remember during the recording of Combinations, there was talk of various instruments that were used on the album. I was just wondering where some of those are located in the songs. I know "Combinations" has a butt-load including the Marxophone, Mini-harp(?), Trombone and Trumpet…but what about the Ukelele, the fretless bass, Kalimba, the Dobro, and the Gamelan?

I can make educated guesses with some (Uke in “Come Clean” along with the Mandolin, Kalimba in “If You’re Wondering” along with the glock, etc.), but I was hoping that some of the musical talented on here could help me out since when it comes to non-wind instruments, I have trouble knowing the difference between some.

Thanks! Smile
boone
Vintage Newbie

The mandolin was used on the intro, chorus, and bridge of "Come Clean," and the ukulele was used during the verses. "If You're Wondering" was the gamelan. Chauntelle used the 12 string Strat on "Combinations." I wish I knew where the dobro was used, but I haven't heard it yet. The bass in the intro to "Come Clean" sounds like a fretless now that I think about it.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Of course, it didn't sound like a whole gamelan ensemble on If You're Wondering. It sounded like the metallophones used in gamelan ensembles (the saron, gendér, gangsa, and ugal). A full gamelan ensemble would have hanging and cradle gongs, wooden idiophones, and skin-head drums I believe.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
The mandolin was used on the intro, chorus, and bridge of "Come Clean," and the ukulele was used during the verses. "If You're Wondering" was the gamelan. Chauntelle used the 12 string Strat on "Combinations." I wish I knew where the dobro was used, but I haven't heard it yet. The bass in the intro to "Come Clean" sounds like a fretless now that I think about it.

the ukulele was also used in "Marsh King's Daughter", one of the b-sides, just incase you didn't know...

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

So am I wrong about the other percussion I mentioned in "If You're Wondering" and it was all gamelan? I was just going off of assumption with those anyway... And yeah, I was curious about the intro sliding bass sound on "Come Clean" as well. That fretless observation sounds good.

Thank you all for replying so far! That helps alot... Cool
Ribbs
Historical demographic anomaly

You all are doing pretty good. I'm not going to spoil the game. Did anybody spot the guitarron? Col legno strings? Radio Shack megaphone? The uke, played by George Doering, is a Tahitian uke by the way - a bit larger than the typical Hawaiian model. Good ears on the gamelan instruments - you're absolutely right, only the metallophones were used (I don't have the gong set, other than the one huge one outside the studio).
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Megaphone was in MKD for sure I believe.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

I'm a trombone player, I should know this... but WHERE IS THE TROMBONE ON THIS CD? Also, is there fretless on Go Away? It's been awhile since I've heard it, I can't remember

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Of course, it didn't sound like a whole gamelan ensemble on If You're Wondering. It sounded like the metallophones used in gamelan ensembles (the saron, gendér, gangsa, and ugal). A full gamelan ensemble would have hanging and cradle gongs, wooden idiophones, and skin-head drums I believe.
Not to mention a kathuk! Oooh fun.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Someone said the trombone was on Combinations. Really soft in the first verse I believe.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Someone said the trombone was on Combinations. Really soft in the first verse I believe.

It came in stronger on the last chorus, unless I'm getting it mixed up with some other brass instrument.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leighish
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

It came in stronger on the last chorus, unless I'm getting it mixed up with some other brass instrument.

all I really hear in the last chorus is the trumpet, trombones don't usually go that high. It could be I need to listen a little more closely though.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:

Ahhh yeah, I never really paid attention there. I hear it now. Thanks!

Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I could be very very very wrong being a saxophone player but.....

I was thinking it was trombone first verse very softly like DRMS said then trumpet at the end of the song.

EDIT! Yeah, I guess that was solved...

Haha, I heard the (Radio Shack) Megaphone, but none of the others!
Last edited by Mystic210 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:
I could be very very very wrong being a saxophone player but.....

I was thinking it was trombone first verse very softly like DRMS said then trumpet at the end of the song.
I agree.