40%  [ 22 ]
Yep, I do
60%
 60%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 55

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
maybe i just need to listen to Kid A again? maybe…

No, actually, you should probably try some other Radiohead albums.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leighish
Vintage Newbie

I'm mostly pretty indifferent towards radiohead. I don't love them, I don't hate them. It's very very rare that I'll be in a radiohead kind of mood though.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

well, Kid A is always the one that appealed to me the most, based on what i've heard from them all… but, uh, any recommendations? i'm actually listening to Kid A right now, and it's kind of hit-and-miss: i love some of the songs, and hate others, and others i'm a bit "meh" about…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
well, Kid A is always the one that appealed to me the most, based on what i've heard from them all… but, uh, any recommendations? i'm actually listening to Kid A right now, and it's kind of hit-and-miss: i love some of the songs, and hate others, and others i'm a bit "meh" about…

People who don't necessary like Kid A occasionally like Amnesiac better, but I think it would be best to get as far from that phase in their career as possible. Skip backwards to The Bends or OK Computer, or go forward to Hail to the Thief (though that also has its electronica moments). Like I said before, I usually recommend The Bends to newbies. It's their most accessible, and in many ways (instrumentation, songwriting) also their most ambitious and rewarding album.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
amidthestars
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:

yeah, DO NOT start with Kid A.

try the Bends, then OK Computer.

all your kind, they're coming clean
they shut their eyes
their mess, their scene
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

why shouldn't i start with Kid A? just wonderin'…

edit: based on your recommendations i just watched every video Radiohead released from The Bends on YouTube. the only one i liked was "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" — the rest were just kind of, uh, crap… and boring… and stuff… and didn't really sound much like Radiohead to me…
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

In Rainbows > Hail to the Thief > Ok Computer > The Bends > Kid A > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
In Rainbows > the rest

we can only hope!
gregorydymitrowicz
Vintage Newbie

I've never bought or listened to an entire Radiohead album, but I do appreciate a bunch of their songs. Call me a RH 'noob', but "Fake Plastic Trees" is my favorite song of theirs.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

do not be afraid. wrote:
why shouldn't i start with Kid A? just wonderin'…

edit: based on your recommendations i just watched every video Radiohead released from The Bends on YouTube. the only one i liked was "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" — the rest were just kind of, uh, crap… and boring… and stuff… and didn't really sound much like Radiohead to me…

"Street Spirit" is their best video ever, hands down. It's hypnotic. The rest of the Bends videos don't do the songs justice, though "Just" is pretty classic.

Since you've only heard Kid A I'm not surprised those songs didn't sound like Radiohead to you. They had a completely different style then.

DRMS_7888 wrote:
In Rainbows > Hail to the Thief > Ok Computer > The Bends > Kid A > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey

Please tell me you found a leak.

Smokemonster
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

It sort of works out that i'll be able to download it when I get up on wednesday morning, 3 hours after the mad rush to get the album (my math says that it's coming out wednesday at 3 am EST?). I'm fine with waiting til work to listen, as my car speakers suck and I don't want to ruin the first time through.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Holy wow, I just realized how close that is. Suh-weet. But I guess there's another thread for this. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
It sort of works out that i'll be able to download it when I get up on wednesday morning, 3 hours after the mad rush to get the album (my math says that it's coming out wednesday at 3 am EST?). I'm fine with waiting til work to listen, as my car speakers suck and I don't want to ruin the first time through.

Unless they have some crazy code built into the website to make sure everyone downloads it at midnight their own time, it should come out at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Eastern time. 6 Central, 5 Mountain, 4 Pacific. Their publicity guy has said everyone will get it at exactly the same time so you shouldn't have to stay up late or get up early.

Smokemonster
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
Since you've only heard Kid A I'm not surprised those songs didn't sound like Radiohead to you. They had a completely different style then.

well, yeah — but i guess what i was trying to say was that, regardless of how i feel about Kid A in general, compared to most of what i've heard of The Bends, i prefer it. a lot. actually, i've been listening to a lot of Radiohead stuff since i posted that, and i think my list (having only actually heard one of these albums, of course) would be somethin' like:

Hail To The Thief
Amnesiac
Kid A
OK Computer
The Bends
Pablo Honey

kind of funny how that works out, huh? i mean, all reverse-cronological, and all… i guess that just means that they keep getting better, which is the way it should always be, but rarely is…
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
do not be afraid. wrote:

ditto.

I think every album is so different, it would be really difficult to appreciate the band after one album.

The first song I heard was "Talk Show Host" from the Romeo and Juliet Soundtrack, immediately followed by "Creep" on the radio.
I was very confused, like "this is the same band?"
And then I borrowed my brother's CD's, and it came together for me.
I realized that they were just a completely different sort of band than I was used to.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>