Laughing City
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

i would've been there but...my love for eisley was outweighed by the abomination that is sonar. i hate that club. i swore long ago to never return to it. if "muddy" if the term you use for the sound then you got there on an especially good night.

I would burn sonar to the ground if you know...that weren't illegal and stuff...

also i hath no love for mutemath...but eisley's tourmates never stopped me before, and my man lover ryan couldn't go anyway...those are my excuses, hopefully boyd won't kill me
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

I'm sorry to hear about that. Confused That stinks when things don't always go as you expect they would/should.

keithabbott wrote:

I felt like cattle in a way. They were signing autographs and taking photos but it didn't appear they wanted to talk to their fans, or didn't have time to talk or something like that..so I didn't get to tell them what I wanted. I didn't get to tell them how much I think they are amazing. Instead, I was left feeling dissapointed and somewhat confused. I've talked with a lot of bands in my day, and a lot of celebrities who've been kind enough to take the time to talk to me. But I was left with the impression that they were guarded inside. That they don't open up to fans as much as many artists I've met over my lifetime.

Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Mystic210 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about that. Confused That stinks when things don't always go as you expect they would/should.

keithabbott wrote:

I felt like cattle in a way. They were signing autographs and taking photos but it didn't appear they wanted to talk to their fans, or didn't have time to talk or something like that..so I didn't get to tell them what I wanted. I didn't get to tell them how much I think they are amazing. Instead, I was left feeling dissapointed and somewhat confused. I've talked with a lot of bands in my day, and a lot of celebrities who've been kind enough to take the time to talk to me. But I was left with the impression that they were guarded inside. That they don't open up to fans as much as many artists I've met over my lifetime.

It seems like you had quite a few expectations. I will tell you that there is no telling what the band was dealing with. There are always things that pop up almost everyday, that can make things difficult to be the perfect person everyone expects them to be.
By the way...I'm the mom that had a little to do with "raising them".
Smile
One thing that people should realize is, you guys are strangers to them. Yes you are their beloved fans, but they don't know many of you before you pop in front of their face. You guys have had time to contemplate what you want to say, and what you expect, and hope for in the encounter. For them, it's just a few seconds before another new person pops in front of them, and...well...does this make sense? I guess they could have canned questions, answers, responses, but they don't roll that way. I find it boring when a "famous" person has the same line every time the next person appears in front of them. It's like they are one of those store bought santa claus.
They've also just "spent" themselves emotionally for however long, on stage. Believe it or not, that does take it out of you physically, and emotionally.

i will tell you, none of them are very outgoing, (except Chauntelle). She's like Boyd...if you get her in a conversation, she will talk.
The other's are more reserved, and kinda shy...even insecure. (Probably more like me...sorry.) Confused

Anyway, maybe you could cut them some slack this time. Hopefully, your next encounter, all the stars will align, and it will be everything you hoped for, or more. That's truly what they hope it will be for fans that keep believing in them.
Smile

P.S. and the Hanson dudes? Man...all of those guys are so outgoing. They were all so encouraging, and positive to the people they were working with, including all three of the girls in Eisley.
And...talented out the wazoo! Smile
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:
Mystic210 wrote:

keithabbott wrote:

It seems like you had quite a few expectations. I will tell you that there is no telling what the band was dealing with. There are always things that pop up almost everyday, that can make things difficult to be the perfect person everyone expects them to be.
Smile
One thing that people should realize is, you guys are strangers to them. Yes you are their beloved fans, but they don't know many of you before you pop in front of their face. You guys have had time to contemplate what you want to say, and what you expect, and hope for in the encounter. For them, it's just a few seconds before another new person pops in front of them, and...well...does this make sense? I guess they could have canned questions, answers, responses, but they don't roll that way. I find it boring when a "famous" person has the same line every time the next person appears in front of them. It's like they are one of those store bought santa claus.
They've also just "spent" themselves emotionally for however long, on stage. Believe it or not, that does take it out of you physically, and emotionally.

i will tell you, none of them are very outgoing, (except Chauntelle). She's like Boyd...if you get her in a conversation, she will talk.
The other's are more reserved, and kinda shy...even insecure. (Probably more like me...sorry.) Confused

Anyway, maybe you could cut them some slack this time. Hopefully, your next encounter, all the stars will align, and it will be everything you hoped for, or more. That's truly what they hope it will be for fans that keep believing in them.
Smile

P.S. and the Hanson dudes? Man...all of those guys are so outgoing. They were all so encouraging, and positive to the people they were working with, including all three of the girls in Eisley.

I'll admit, I had some expectations, but not so much with the band but the situation back at the "meet and greet". I could tell the gals and guys were so tired, and that table back there was a mess, so I didn't really want to add to that any and I felt so weird fighting for their attention; I felt creepy, even if I maybe shouldn't have. But I waited until it died down and went in to say hello to everyone and thank them, and it was nice. I didn't really get to talk to them, but I guess I didn't really expect that to happen. I mean, it was my first time meeting them. So maybe next time.
Smile
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I hate the traditional meet and greet setting. It's always about the loudest and most unrelenting fans worming their way to the front to try and gush for 20 minutes. It seems like everyone tries to be the band's best friend for those 10 seconds they 'meet'. Bands hate it, the rest of us probably feel bad for the band. I never want to meet a band in that setting. I'd rather meet them at a time when meaningful conversation can be enjoyed by both parties.

Bands simply don't have enough time after a show to chat with 100s of fans.

Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this, just that I haven't done the whole meet and greet thing for years. Damien Rice hung out in the streets and pubs after his show this fall in Minneapolis (apparently with no tight schedule to follow =), that's how I'd want to meet someone.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

The problem is, Eisley did the casual thing until they started getting mobbed in a similar fashion. But now it's happening the same, just with a table in front of them. The only other solution I can think of is what apparently works for Damien Rice: Informal and unannounced, and in the most inconspicuous way manageable.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
The problem is, Eisley did the casual thing until they started getting mobbed in a similar fashion. But now it's happening the same, just with a table in front of them. The only other solution I can think of is what apparently works for Damien Rice: Informal and unannounced, and in the most inconspicuous way manageable.

Yeah. And, I definitely think that the band is probably missing those days when they could just chat with whoever came to the show.

I couldn't even imagine how bad it must be for A list celebrities. You couldn't go anywhere in public without being mobbed.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I hate the traditional meet and greet setting. It's always about the loudest and most unrelenting fans worming their way to the front to try and gush for 20 minutes. It seems like everyone tries to be the band's best friend for those 10 seconds they 'meet'. Bands hate it, the rest of us probably feel bad for the band. I never want to meet a band in that setting. I'd rather meet them at a time when meaningful conversation can be enjoyed by both parties.

I get so embarrassed too when I am among the people who are being so loud and pushy, because I am not like that at all. I hate bothering bands, and people.

TheAntrider wrote:
Informal and unannounced, and in the most inconspicuous way manageable.

This could work out, I think. Especially if a lot of people don't really recognize the band. Oh wait,.. I guess if they had just played on stage they may. Haha. Oh well. I still think it'd be nice. Though, they could still get "mobbed" I mean just standing outside the venue in line, when the girls walked by one person went up and then 6 others did too.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I wouldn't take any encounter with any band members completely personally. You often hear about people who meet some celebrity and how rude that person was. Honestly, are you 100% every minute of every day? I know I'm not. If you were feeling crappy and somebody bothered you (and maybe they were even pushy or rude, or say snapping their fingers in your face?) how would you react? I treasure my meetings with band members, even those that could have gone much better. I'm very shy myself too and for a long time I had the hardest time going up to band members and saying hi. Luckily actually doing this has helped a lot.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
keithabbott
Sea Post King

Thanks for taking the time to write Kim. (And I apologize profusely for failing to mention you when giving kudos to Boyd - you both have done a terrific job in raising and teaching them from all that I've seen these past few years). As a fan of Eisley and a former music industry professional myself, I admit that I've probably been extremely lucky to have met (and in some cases performed with) so many talented musicians and artists since my days in college. I suppose it's been a bit easy for me to build-up expectations over these years, when in actuality I'm not in that circle any longer and well, you're completely correct in that I am a complete stranger. You do put a few things into perspective.

My impression from watching the band on stage is that Sherri and Weston (I've known a bunch of drummers in my day - they are an interesting breed Wink ) would be the more talkative of the bunch. You being their mother and all, I suppose I was way off base in that assumption. When Chauntelle spoke to my wife, she was pretty brief about Hanson, but perhaps if she had more time to talk her response may have been more elaborate.

You both do such a great service to us fans by taking so much of your time to talk with us. As a future parent next year, you both are a good reminder of what a parent should be for their children.

As for Hanson, I know my wife would echo your sentiments from all that she's witnessed. She's been to countless shows and met the band on several occasions. And I've been to a couple of their shows myself and had the opportunity to meet some of the band member's family members while at a concert last October. My wife Ann was hoping to find out from Chauntelle or anyone who attended the Fool's Banquet, more about it...i.e. what it was like to work with them...how it was run....those kinds of questions. And I definitely agree, they are quite talented. I don't exactly listen to their music on my own accord, but I support my wife's interests. I certainly hear enough of them in her car and in our home to know they are very dedicated to their craft.

Anyway, thanks again Kim. Perhaps my next encounter will allow me the opportunity to express my enthusiasm and gratitude to them in person.

Kimbrtones wrote:
Mystic210 wrote:

keithabbott wrote:

Smile

Smile

Last edited by keithabbott on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
keithabbott
Sea Post King

I felt that exact way. It was so crowded back there. I thought before the show started that they might have a few fans back there, and that I'd have more time. Those were part of my expectations, but I was so wrong. They were being swamped and overrun by fans. I waited awhile before approaching them as you did. But I also felt like you did and didn't want to take up too much of their time because there were still a lot of people in line at that time, and since my wife had come all that way with me I figured I'd let her ask her questions.

That's just the way it went down I guess. And I agree with the others who have posted..these kinds of meet and greets aren't exactly the ideal way of having a decent conversation with all the noise and traffic. I obviously realized that and that shared in my dissapointment.

I suppose once the headlining tour comes around, it won't get any easier. But if the band comes to DC again, I'd be happy to treat the family to dinner...just let me tag along. Razz

Kylee Janai wrote:

I'll admit, I had some expectations, but not so much with the band but the situation back at the "meet and greet". I could tell the gals and guys were so tired, and that table back there was a mess, so I didn't really want to add to that any and I felt so weird fighting for their attention; I felt creepy, even if I maybe shouldn't have. But I waited until it died down and went in to say hello to everyone and thank them, and it was nice. I didn't really get to talk to them, but I guess I didn't really expect that to happen. I mean, it was my first time meeting them. So maybe next time.
Smile

Last edited by keithabbott on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
I hate the traditional meet and greet setting. It's always about the loudest and most unrelenting fans worming their way to the front to try and gush for 20 minutes. It seems like everyone tries to be the band's best friend for those 10 seconds they 'meet'. Bands hate it, the rest of us probably feel bad for the band. I never want to meet a band in that setting.
Ugh, with good reason. Last year I won meet and greet passes for Fall Out Boy sort of on accident, but my friend, who is a huge fan, wanted to go and I had to as well since my name was the one on the passes. Anyway, I felt so humiliated both myself and for the band... Being in a small, dirty room backstage with a score of tweenage girls, one of whom was crying made me feel really bad for the guys in the band. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that every night.
Laughing Citizen

Kimbrtones wrote:
Mystic210 wrote:

keithabbott wrote:

Smile

Smile

This is more in response to the Hanson comment, althought I agree with everything you said before, it makes sense.

But my boyfriend's band opened up for Hanson when they came to Columbus and all I kept saying to him was "One of them worked with Chauntelle! You have to ask him about it!" But he never ended up meeting them, they didn't allow opening bands backstage (dumb.) Crying or Very sad

Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

keithabbott wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to write Kim. (And I apologize profusely for failing to mention you when giving kudos to Boyd - you both have done a terrific job in raising and teaching them from all that I've seen these past few years). As a fan of Eisley and a former music industry professional myself, I admit that I've probably been extremely lucky to have met (and in some cases performed with) so many talented musicians and artists since my days in college. I suppose it's been a bit easy for me to build-up expectations over these years, when in actuality I'm not in that circle any longer and well, you're completely correct in that I am a complete stranger. You do put a few things into perspective.

My impression from watching the band on stage is that Sherri and Weston (I've known a bunch of drummers in my day - they are an interesting breed Wink ) would be the more talkative of the bunch. You being their mother and all, I suppose I was way off base in that assumption. When Chauntelle spoke to my wife, she was pretty brief about Hanson, but perhaps if she had more time to talk her response may have been more elaborate.

You both do such a great service to us fans by taking so much of your time to talk with us. As a future parent next year, you both are a good reminder of what a parent should be for their children.

As for Hanson, I know my wife would echo your sentiments from all that she's witnessed. She's been to countless shows and met the band on several occasions. And I've been to a couple of their shows myself and had the opportunity to meet some of the band member's family members while at a concert last October. My wife Ann was hoping to find out from Chauntelle or anyone who attended the Fool's Banquet, more about it...i.e. what it was like to work with them...how it was run....those kinds of questions. And I definitely agree, they are quite talented. I don't exactly listen to their music on my own accord, but I support my wife's interests. I certainly hear enough of them in her car and in our home to know they are very dedicated to their craft.

Anyway, thanks again Kim. Perhaps my next encounter will allow me the opportunity to express my enthusiasm and gratitude to them in person

ha ha! No worries. I am pretty much behind the scenes now, but still very much in touch with our kids that are out on the road. I am so thankful that Boyd has this time with the ones on the road. Collin probably misses out the most with time with his dad. Sad Christie would be next, but we try to make the most of our "all together time" when that occurs.
Of course, Boyd never stops working.

Weston is outgoing, but he has to warm up to you and make sure that it's safe to be his quirky self. But, if that happens...look out.
Sherri is very guarded, and a bit shy, but very quick.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I was on the lowest wrung of the live music ladder (cover band playing at local dives) and even then you have people coming up to you when you get off the stage wanting your attention. It's just weird. This girl comes up to our table (not a meet and greet table), sits down and starts talking. We talked as much as we could but I usually have nothing to say about anything. I don't know what she wanted (drinks, drugs, sex, friends, contact fame?) or expected but after awhile she just got up and said "You guys are @$$holes!" Which is true but, hehe.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX