Laughing City

Did you become an Atheist after seeing "The Golden Compass"?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 29

anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Gosh. This is about a movie. Not religion or whatever. Shut up this stupid argument and talk about the movie...or how hot Daniel Craig's eyes are.

Daniel Craig and Ian Somerhalder have incredible incredible eyes.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
keltica
Golly, Poster

I like Pullman's book also because it attacks the Vatican earthly power in a subtle way.

Any religious authority means a dictatorship on Earth and no freedom whatsoever to choose what to believe.

As a Pagan I can only like this book, considering it attacks the same institutions that have burnt, murdered, tortured and excommunicated those of my kind, banishing them to the gates of an inexistent Hell only because they chose to worship Mother Nature rather than the icons of a human religion.

I apologize if I sound harsh but I've had this discussion too many times and my philosophy has been attacked and heavily insulted. I've been labelled a heathen, a satanist, a misbeliever when instead I realized I was closer to love and peace with my religion than some modern day crusaders and inquisitors.

Pullman openly said that he felt there was some subliminal religious power that permeated Narnia, something he felt that was telling him what to believe and what to follow. I'm very glad that he wrote a book like this, between the rising intifada by the Muslim world and the everlasting hypocrisy of the Vatican theocracy people like us, people who choose to be free from the chains of the institutions following our own religions and faiths (which are aimed at love, peace and the preservation of Nature, not at the cult of Satan as the Pope and his cardinals would like to put it, indeed a LIE) have to speak out and not sit back in apathy being insulted the way I have been, and the way other New Agers, Animists and Wiccans have been. It is heavily insulting to be called Satan worshippers when in the end we do more for Nature than the Vatican will ever do.

So I'd like to shake hands with Philip Pullman and thank him for writing a book that might open the eyes of men and free them from the chains that have held them firm for too long.

On a final note, I'm also writing a fantasy series and it's centred on similar themes: men have to forsake the prison of secular power and seek religious truth in the cult of Nature.

"Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"

Joined: 11 Jun 2007 | Posts: 791 | Location: Ariccia, Rome - Italy
Sprocket
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Whatever happend to Salmon Rushdie?

Well, the fatwa still stands and he continues to write great books! Smile

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

TheAntrider wrote:
patrock wrote:
I think the movie looks really neat. My best friend and I are going to see it soon...for Mr. Bond. DUH.

I don't find what I've seen about it terribly interesting, but I haven't seen much about it, either. Like most movies, I'll catch this on TV or DVD. Maybe ...

The trailer really doesn't tell what the movie is about at all. After reading the book I was like, "...Oh, that's what the story is?" It's a really odd story...but I still think it could be enjoyable.

But then again, I love all these types of movies.

mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

If you don't want to see it, and you don't want your kids to see it, more power to you. But please don't try to defend the morons who attempting to form a movement opposing the films. Or for that matter, JBaker's trollish assertion that loving the books means you love atheism. That's exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about, not your own personal preference one way or the other.

fair enough. as stated in posts in other threads, i refused to sign a petition at my local church to stop the movie from showing at our theatre. because i feel it is an infringment on his first amendment right to show it. but i certainly wont see it.

if anything the movie companies want protests. protests bring free big publicity for a film. the best way for christians to make their voice heard, is to simply not go. money works more than anything, not bikkering.

in the same breath, christians should fully and eagerly support hollywood films that have a strong moral value too. and i dont mean just christian movies.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
People bashing this book who've never read it is about as pathetic as people who bash Christianity yet have never read the Bible.

I've heard it said that the quickest way to atheism is reading the Bible. Wink

I can't stand it when people form religious and political opinions based on fiction. It's like all those people who are paranoid about the government because they read the first three chapters of 1984. It reminds me of the episode of the Glenn Beck Show where the stand-in host asked a terrorist expert if the Islamic extremists were going to use the same tactics as the terrorists on 24. (The expert said no.)

As for this book/movie. It's a freakn' movie. Most young children who see this movie probably aren't even going to notice the allegory between the church. That's why they don't really start exploring allegory in literature in schools until around 7th grade. The only way that young kids would even know is if their parents/preacher/Ned Flanders told them.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I think I need to worry more about the conversation in this Topic than the movie.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I listen to a lot of music by atheist drug heads, but I'm not an atheist drug head. I think any time spent doing something as a movement should be spent on something positive like supporting a good movie, and not on drawing attention to and bashing a "bad" movie. It doesn't exactly help raise opinions of Christianity, either.

Maybe this topic will actually be on topic one day ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Maybe this topic will actually be on topic one day ...

That might happen when the movie comes out.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

on a completely un-hate related subject, i have wanted to see this movie ever since i saw bears and steam punk inspired air ships and privateer types.

bears...in armor...AMAZING!

ps- oh is there anti jesus stuff in this movie? i couldn't see that past all the ARMORED BEARS!
rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

granpaturtle wrote:

ps- oh is there anti jesus stuff in this movie? i couldn't see that past all the ARMORED BEARS!

HAHA!

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

granpaturtle wrote:
on a completely un-hate related subject, i have wanted to see this movie ever since i saw bears and steam punk inspired air ships and privateer types.

bears...in armor...AMAZING!

Yes!!

kulvir
Laughing Citizen

TheAntrider wrote:
I'm not an atheist drug head.
You're not?? Very Happy

I tried reading some of the book but it just didn't seem like a fun read. The movie looks great visually but hopefully it's more than that. The problem with that hope is the movie is usually not as good as the novel it is based on.

Lantz
Vintage Newbie

kulvir wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
I'm not an atheist drug head.
You're not?? Very Happy

I tried reading some of the book but it just didn't seem like a fun read. The movie looks great visually but hopefully it's more than that. The problem with that hope is the movie is usually not as good as the novel it is based on.

WHAAAAT!? the book is so f*cking awesome. waaaaay better than that Narnia thing.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
patrock wrote:
I think the movie looks really neat. My best friend and I are going to see it soon...for Mr. Bond. DUH.

I don't find what I've seen about it terribly interesting, but I haven't seen much about it, either. Like most movies, I'll catch this on TV or DVD. Maybe ...

I wouldn't be into it (I'm pretty burnt out on the whole small-people-save-a-fantasy-world idea after the last few years) were it not for the steampunk aesthetic. Zeppelins, goggles, waistcoats, a giant elaborate pocketwatch, and Oxford in a parallel universe... gah, so tasty. Besides Daniel Craig, nothing else about it interests me, particularly since I didn't enjoy the books at all. So basically, I'm just in it for the visuals. Laughing

Have you seen A Series of Unfortunate Events? seems like you'd enjoy it!

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
People bashing this book who've never read it is about as pathetic as people who bash Christianity yet have never read the Bible.

I wouldn't equate the two as Christianity can, and is, judged by observing those who refer to themselves as Christians. Right or wrong, I will also judge other religions based on observing the followers of the religions.

this is a great point. just wanted to say that.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>