Laughing City

Did you become an Atheist after seeing "The Golden Compass"?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 29

norad
Vintage Newbie

The things Jews get blamed for...
mellon collie
Sea Post King

uncreative wrote:
kLafied wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:
kLafied wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:

oh, and to stay on topic, so are the animals, like...representing human souls? like...is that they're soul in a physical form?

I'm not sure, but I haven't finished reading this book (about 30 pages left) let alone the others in the trilogy.

In one part Lyra asks what the daemons are for, and I think whoever she was speaking to just said that nobody was sure?

They seem to represent their souls though, that's pretty much what I get from it. Either way, I want one Very Happy

i want one too. i was just wondering that, though because in the trailers it looked like Daniel Craig's was a female, and i thought that didn't quite fit.

Yeah, and I think Lyra's is male. In the trailer it said "they need the animals as much as they need their own heart," or something along those lines. It must be similar to a limb or an organ, very important. It still could be like a soul. I don't know.

I haven't read those books in a long time, but I think I remember in the 2nd one they used a special material (the Subtle Knife) that could cut through anything, including the bond between people and their daemons, and they encountered someone who had that bond broken, and they were just a lifeless (except they were still alive) being wandering around. Something like that, so yes, I guess those creatures are pretty darn important to their... owners?

its like their soul, i think. sometimes they remind me of a conscience - like jiminy cricket!

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mellon collie wrote:
uncreative wrote:
kLafied wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:
kLafied wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:

oh, and to stay on topic, so are the animals, like...representing human souls? like...is that they're soul in a physical form?

I'm not sure, but I haven't finished reading this book (about 30 pages left) let alone the others in the trilogy.

In one part Lyra asks what the daemons are for, and I think whoever she was speaking to just said that nobody was sure?

They seem to represent their souls though, that's pretty much what I get from it. Either way, I want one Very Happy

i want one too. i was just wondering that, though because in the trailers it looked like Daniel Craig's was a female, and i thought that didn't quite fit.

Yeah, and I think Lyra's is male. In the trailer it said "they need the animals as much as they need their own heart," or something along those lines. It must be similar to a limb or an organ, very important. It still could be like a soul. I don't know.

I haven't read those books in a long time, but I think I remember in the 2nd one they used a special material (the Subtle Knife) that could cut through anything, including the bond between people and their daemons, and they encountered someone who had that bond broken, and they were just a lifeless (except they were still alive) being wandering around. Something like that, so yes, I guess those creatures are pretty darn important to their... owners?

its like their soul, i think. sometimes they remind me of a conscience - like jiminy cricket!

And the official website for the movie does state that daemons are always the opposite sex of their human counterparts.

I've seen two different versions of the trailer that mentions what they are, and one says "animal manifestation of their soul" while the other is "animal spirit guide," which just sounds ridiculous if you ask me. But the filmmakers probably assumed most audience members won't know what "manifestation" means. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
mr pine wrote:
it seems to me that anything christian is overtly criticized or made fun of. yet you dont hear the same words being said of things islamic or buddist or hinduist.

it seems to me that the brunt of all hatred, anger and resentment is pushed towards christianity.

if people did to islamic people what they did to christian people, the aclu would be in an uproar. its mostly christianity that gets all the critisizm

You clearly didn't watch 30 Rock last week, or the horrific episode of The Suite Life of Zach & Cody that I was subjected to recently. The hatred, anger, resentment, and unfair stereotypes are spread around evenly. Claiming that Christians get it more than anyone else is the Coliseum Complex. Guess what? Nobody's feeding us to lions anymore. We have the freedom to worship as we please, just like everyone else, so why all the whining about persecution?

Thank You!

But I think our whole society is made up of people who are 'victims'. Take just about anything about anybody and they can tell you that they're discriminated against because of it. Blacks are victims of whites. Whites are victims of blacks. Fat people are victims of skinny people. Skinny people are victims of fat people. Christians are victims of atheists. Atheists are victims of Christians. Et cetera It makes me sick! Mad

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Faery_Reel
Sea Post King

After the first page I couldn't read this anymore, I don't want to hear anymore about how evil these books are, it makes me sad inside. I'm sorry if i'm repeating what people said when I am defending the books now.

People say it must be bad because it's called "His dark materials"
-Um...Maybe if you read the introduction to "The Golden Compass" You'd have seen that it is named after a line in John Milton's "Paradise Lost"

It's about killing god!
SPOILER
-Ok, the 3rd one they kill an angel who SAYS he's god, the twist was that Dust was really god.

The church is bad in the books!
-This is showing that sometimes things you trust can be manipulative and deseitful.

The main character is Eve!
-It's about how she is supposed to resist temptation to make the right choice.

People's souls are demons!
-Just no.
They are Dæmons not demons. They are a person's soul in the form of an animal that personifies their personality. They are SOULS not demons...

Just because Philip Pullman is an atheist doesn't mean he's trying to trick people into not believing in god. It is a work of fiction.

Ok now that i'm done ranting for the moment I have to say I am SO excited to see the movie tomorrow! I made a shirt that says "I ♥ my dæmon" !!! Very Happy

PS- Also about dæmons, don't take quizzes to find out what yours is, They are totally wrong. Try this website [url]daemons.envy.nu [/url] it's super helpful. And dæmons can definetly be the same sex, it's jsut more common to see opposite sex dæmons. The biggest theory on that is that if you are gay then your dæmon is the same sex as you.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Faery_Reel wrote:
And dæmons can definetly be the same sex, it's jsut more common to see opposite sex dæmons. The biggest theory on that is that if you are gay then your dæmon is the same sex as you.

Does that mean if you're a bisexual your dæmon is a hermaphrodite?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Faery_Reel wrote:
PS- Also about dæmons, don't take quizzes to find out what yours is, They are totally wrong. Try this website [url]daemons.envy.nu [/url] it's super helpful.

That website is so Web 1.0. Also, anime forms of daemons? Pretty sure that wasn't in the book. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kirk
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:

You clearly didn't watch 30 Rock last week, or the horrific episode of The Suite Life of Zach & Cody that I was subjected to recently. The hatred, anger, resentment, and unfair stereotypes are spread around evenly. Claiming that Christians get it more than anyone else is the Coliseum Complex. Guess what? Nobody's feeding us to lions anymore. We have the freedom to worship as we please, just like everyone else, so why all the whining about persecution?

What episode of the Suite Life are you talking about?
Joined: 05 Jul 2003 | Posts: 374 | Location: Seattle, Washington
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Kirk wrote:
Saellys wrote:

The one where they meet the Indian prince. Sooooo many incredibly insulting racial and religious stereotypes in one episode. Jokes about elephant gods and thick accents do not encourage tolerance for other cultures.

Smokemonster
Kirk
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Saellys wrote:

The one where they meet the Indian prince. Sooooo many incredibly insulting racial and religious stereotypes in one episode. Jokes about elephant gods and thick accents do not encourage tolerance for other cultures.

Now I admit I've seen that episode only once, but I don't recall anything particularly bad about it. Thick accents aren't going to cause intolerance. If you want to say it propagates stereotypes, you can certainly make that argument. I don't think any of the stereotypes were really offensive or harmful, but there's certainly a case to be made. But to talk about tolerance? No kid is going to think less of Indians because of this episode. Moreover, in the course of watching it, they will probably see pro-multiculturalist messages during the breaks (in addition to more stuff about the ever-growing High School Musical empire).

An observation: TV shows are filled with caricatures; average, totally-realistic people and scenarios are boring. Extreme representations illustrate ideas more clearly in art. If this means we end up with stereotypes on TV, who cares? There's not really a need for the prince to be a complex and fully realized character. Don't think stereotype; think archetype.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Saellys wrote:

First of all, I hate just about every show on the Disney Channel because they are so stupid. Mad

But to be fair what do you think about Apu Nahasapeemapetilon?

jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
You clearly didn't watch 30 Rock last week

woot. Hannah watches 30 rock. that makes 7 of us...in the world.

Kirk
Sea Post King

jack_stripes wrote:
Saellys wrote:
You clearly didn't watch 30 Rock last week

woot. Hannah watches 30 rock. that makes 7 of us...in the world.

I actually watched the episode in which Liz reports her Middle Eastern neighbors to Homeland Security (though that's only the second episode I've ever seen, including "Blind Date," which was free on iTunes). I think, if anything, the show had a positive message about making assumptions. But this is drifting really off topic.
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
Saellys wrote:
mr pine wrote:
it seems to me that anything christian is overtly criticized or made fun of. yet you dont hear the same words being said of things islamic or buddist or hinduist.

it seems to me that the brunt of all hatred, anger and resentment is pushed towards christianity.

if people did to islamic people what they did to christian people, the aclu would be in an uproar. its mostly christianity that gets all the critisizm

Thank You!

But I think our whole society is made up of people who are 'victims'. Take just about anything about anybody and they can tell you that they're discriminated against because of it. Blacks are victims of whites. Whites are victims of blacks. Fat people are victims of skinny people. Skinny people are victims of fat people. Christians are victims of atheists. Atheists are victims of Christians. Et cetera It makes me sick! Mad

so that makes you the victim of victims? Shocked the paradox is too much.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

I think discrimination can be summed up in a brief story:

So my Jewish friend goes to his class one day and the topic of discrimination comes up. At one point a black girl says something along the lines of "well, Jewish people don't know what its like to be black. They've never been oppressed or to be enslaved or anything."

Completely ignore 4000 years of slavery, exile and genocide? Surely you jest madam?
But no...she doesn't. And neither does anyone else when they open their mouths about things they don't understand. No one knows anything about anyone else's oppressions or discrimination or who hates who in the what now. Including all of us, even if you think you know (maybe you read a book) you're a liar. So stop. Don't call anyone oppressed or discriminated (yourself included) just...stop...because you're wrong even if you're right.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>