Laughing City
Heavyarms
Sea Post King

Hey ya'll, this is my first post after lurking for a while. I was recently converted into an Eisley fan, and unfortunately I missed the recent Mute Math tour. I hope there's a show in CA for the April tour.

Anyways, I just received my copy of the Laughing City EP, and i'm loving how different the songs are compared to more recent recordings. The added distortion in the Telescope Eyes chorus is really cool, especially. I was wondering what kind of gear was being used at that point in time, since i'm not sure how far back the gear section on SYP is applicable. I would love to be able to recreate the guitar tone in Over the Mountains from 2:13-2:20. Any info would be awesome.

(P.S. I'd love to see an online store for tshirts and other merch, since it appears that the two merch sites are down.)
Tim Kim
Sea Post King

Ah yes.. the Laughing City EP. All of their releases have something special in my book.

But setting that aside. Welcome to the LC!

change is happening.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 305 | Location: Sacramento, Caluhfournia
norad
Vintage Newbie

The gear section on SYP I think has all their gear we've seen them use over the years.
Heavyarms
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
The gear section on SYP I think has all their gear we've seen them use over the years.

Yeah, that's all i've ever seen in videos and pictures, although i've yet to see a pedalboard shot. I was just wondering because the guitar tone is at times drastically different than current recordings, where the Fulltone and Tube Screamer are used.
norad
Vintage Newbie

Heavyarms wrote:
patrock wrote:

Yeah, that's all i've ever seen in videos and pictures, although i've yet to see a pedalboard shot. I was just wondering because the guitar tone is at times drastically different than current recordings, where the Fulltone and Tube Screamer are used.

The sound now compared to then all has to do with growing up and changing.
Heavyarms
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
Heavyarms wrote:
patrock wrote:

True, but i'm talking more in terms of tone, as opposed to style.
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

Heavyarms wrote:
patrock wrote:
Heavyarms wrote:
patrock wrote:

The man likes it grungy. Wink

Vintage Newbie

Heavyarms wrote:
patrock wrote:
Heavyarms wrote:
patrock wrote:

Wouldn't what I said still apply to that? Hah.
Heavyarms
Sea Post King

I'm not quoting to save space.

What i'm trying to get at is if they used different effects pedals in the past. The pedals they're using currently are giving them a drastically different sound than on the examples I pointed out in my first post. I've been unable to create a really heavy guitar sound using either the Fulltone or Tube Screamer, although i've only been able to play them through a friends Marshall half stack. Are you a guitar player by chance?

p.s. The spell check on this forum is really nifty.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

The tricky thing about the recordings is that they might have used gear belonging to the various producers.

I should shoot pedalboard shots for them one day.

I remember the LC version fo TE being particularly disliked for its canned distortion effects. As in, it's kind of stock. Kind of bland and normal. But whatever floats your boat, always. Just I don't think the band thought it particularly suited them.

Here's the corner of Chauntelle's board earlier this year. ha ha.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theantrider/423804897/

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address