Laughing City

if you so poor you had to steal food to survive, would you?
yes
48%
 48%  [ 32 ]
no
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
maybe so
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 66

Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
I'd rather die with dignity than live with prideful guilt.

Stealing food to live if you're starving strips you of your dignity? According to whom?

The way I see it, food and water are basic human rights. Unfortunately, they are ones that a lot of the people in this word are being denied, for various reasons, many of them stemming from the folks at the "top".

Wrong wrong wrong wrong.
Food and water are yours if you supply it to yourself.
It's not "the man's" fault that people in this country are starving.
In almost every case, it's their own.

No. It is "the man's" fault that folk are allowed to OWN water sources, then resell it in plastic bottles, the most wasteful way imaginable. It is "their" fault that not everyone is fed, because they're too busy wasting vast, vast, vast quantities of grain to feed CAFO animals for the protein-rich American path to heart-disease.

There really is enough for everyone, but that might mean some of us can't have what we covet. So it doesn't change.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ali
since 1979

JBaker wrote:
Tempest wrote:

Stealing food to live if you're starving strips you of your dignity? According to whom?

The way I see it, food and water are basic human rights. Unfortunately, they are ones that a lot of the people in this word are being denied, for various reasons, many of them stemming from the folks at the "top".

Wrong wrong wrong wrong.
Food and water are yours if you supply it to yourself.
It's not "the man's" fault that people in this country are starving.
In almost every case, it's their own.

No. It is "the man's" fault that folk are allowed to OWN water sources, then resell it in plastic bottles, the most wasteful way imaginable. It is "their" fault that not everyone is fed, because they're too busy wasting vast, vast, vast quantities of grain to feed CAFO animals for the protein-rich American path to heart-disease.

There really is enough for everyone, but that might mean some of us can't have what we covet. So it doesn't change.

last time i checked, you could walk into almost any public or private building and get a drink of water for free. and cubswin and i have both mentioned you can get free food in lots of places if you aren't able to provide yourself with food. with the idea being you will be able to feed yourself someday, because that's not a right, it's a privilege. it's why we all have to work and earn money - to feed and shelter ourselves. i'm far from conservative or republican, but jeez, take some personal responsibility.

besides, isn't there, like, an actual commandment against stealing? i don't think there was room for caveats on the tablets.

markr
Lost at Forum

ali , good to see you , long time, here is a proverb for you,' give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day, i couldnt resist
ali
since 1979

markr wrote:
ali , good to see you , long time, here is a proverb for you,' give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day, i couldnt resist

ha, i like that one Laughing

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

yeah it's pretty much trivial to get a free meal in any major urban area.

i remember when i was in college i'd sniff out all the local clubs and associations and find the schedules for all their open to the public events. It was pretty easy to find a free lunch mon-fri every week. You'd have to sit through various lectures or listen to various religeous people try to convert you but i got lunch every single day haha

Tempest
Sea Post King

Tempest wrote:

Yes, it does. According to me...because...

...it's my opinion.

I used to blame "the man" and "establishment" a lot too, then I realized that despair lurks everywhere. Yes, lot of the things that make you at the "top" are temptations that help cause a lot of inhumane actions and situations, but much like the rich have a top of the mountain, so do the poor.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

yea, but what if you're not guilty for stealing? and you still had your pride.

If you break it down to the most basic form, by taking from someone else, you are contributing to the very thing that leaves you starving and thirsty in the first place. It's easy to take, but what about giving?

Like I said before, generosity is not giving you what you need more, it's giving you what I need more than you do.

In complete seriousness, I don't care who you are, if you're truly at rock bottom and you need something, here is my phone number: [edited] If I have it to give, I will.

I'd rather make sacrifices than you make wrong choices.

|| sean ||

"If ever you come near I'll hold up high a mirror
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You." --Mewithoutyou
Joined: 02 Aug 2007 | Posts: 76 | Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Last edited by Tempest on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
markr
Lost at Forum

and of course there was always art show openings with free wine and cheese
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

markr wrote:
and of course there was always art show openings with free wine and cheese

There are also weddings, kids' birthday parties, funerals, the dumpster. If you can't find food without stealing you're lazy or uppity.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Tempest wrote:
Tempest wrote:

...it's my opinion.

I used to blame "the man" and "establishment" a lot too, then I realized that despair lurks everywhere. Yes, lot of the things that make you at the "top" are temptations that help cause a lot of inhumane actions and situations, but much like the rich have a top of the mountain, so do the poor.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

If you break it down to the most basic form, by taking from someone else, you are contributing to the very thing that leaves you starving and thirsty in the first place. It's easy to take, but what about giving?

Like I said before, generosity is not giving you what you need more, it's giving you what I need more than you do.

In complete seriousness, I don't care who you are, if you're truly at rock bottom and you need something, here is my phone number: 270-977-0954. If I have it to give, I will.

|| sean ||
I just wanted to say that while your opinion remains moral, you're not even slightly pretentious about it, and that's really refreshing. Smile
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

Lantz is obvsly just a lazy hippie trying to justify petty theft. The most expensive thing at 7-11 is ~$3.

And || sean ||, I'm guessing you've thought it through and don't need to be reminded that this is a public forum and that lurkers/people in general can be creeps. You're a swell guy.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Yeah as was mentioned before, he has a computer and an internet connection and he doesn't mind stealing. So don't take it too seriously and give out your phone number.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Tempest wrote:
Tempest wrote:

...it's my opinion.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

In complete seriousness, I don't care who you are, if you're truly at rock bottom and you need something, here is my phone number: 270-977-0954. If I have it to give, I will.

|| sean ||

i steal for other people too when they're hungry. i give my extra food and leftover cigarettes (which i bum off other people) to the homeless that want them. i don't need your pity, i do alright by myself. this wasn't a question about my morality, just other people's. I'm Atheist, so the commandments mean nothing to me, which doesn't mean i'm evil and i like to kill and cheat. i live life to the fullest, as best i can. And i don't steal anything other than food from major chains.

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know. Cheese and Wine isn't going to get me full, and as for going to shelters and churches and sh*t? theres so many freaking homeless that are already there that i'd be lucky if i got in the door. I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

Lantz wrote:
I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

and i live in downtown dallas and you don't know what you're talking about. methinks you post from a comfortable living room at your mom's.

Lantz wrote:
and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless

this is from your bio on JPG magazine
"I am currently a Photography major at Columbia College Chicago. " doesn't sound that homeless to me

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

chasd00 wrote:
Lantz wrote:
I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

and i live in downtown dallas and you don't know what you're talking about. methinks you post from a comfortable living room at your mom's.

Lantz wrote:
and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless

this is from your bio on JPG magazine
"I am currently a Photography major at Columbia College Chicago. " doesn't sound that homeless to me

I wouldn't make an assumption like that, Chad.

See- Soon to be grads in College who's last student loan check just came and are facing the prospect of nowhere to go and insta-debt.

I mean, who would lie about that?
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Tempest wrote:

...it's my opinion.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

|| sean ||

i steal for other people too when they're hungry. i give my extra food and leftover cigarettes (which i bum off other people) to the homeless that want them. i don't need your pity, i do alright by myself. this wasn't a question about my morality, just other people's. I'm Atheist, so the commandments mean nothing to me, which doesn't mean i'm evil and i like to kill and cheat. i live life to the fullest, as best i can. And i don't steal anything other than food from major chains.

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know. Cheese and Wine isn't going to get me full, and as for going to shelters and churches and sh*t? theres so many freaking homeless that are already there that i'd be lucky if i got in the door. I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

I didn't know you were in such dire straights. I cannot judge on stealing to survive. Hell, I've downloaded ripped mp3's and copied friend's computer games before, not in awhile though.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>