Laughing City

if you so poor you had to steal food to survive, would you?
yes
48%
 48%  [ 32 ]
no
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
maybe so
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 66

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Moral of the story? Go to state school.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tempest
Sea Post King

Lantz wrote:
chasd00 wrote:
this is from your bio on JPG magazine
"I am currently a Photography major at Columbia College Chicago. " doesn't sound that homeless to me

yea, i just finished a semester and i can't pay for next semester, so they'll eventually kick me out before the second semester starts.

Tempest wrote:
As for athiesm, I don't believe in athiests. By science, athiesm can't exist. I also used to be agnostic, as well as considering a myriad of other beliefs. I'm confused as to where you're getting at where I've thrown the bible at you? I never mentioned any commandments or biblical law. Everything I said in my post is from basic humanity and compassion that this world needs more of.

You said it best, "don't assume what you don't know." You're doing a lot of assuming.

Regardless of your beliefs, you'll be prayed for.

|| sean ||

By science Atheism exists. Just because someone uses skepticism and reason to explain things doesn't mean they don't exist. and i wasn't saying you threw the bible at me, someone else did, i was simply replying to everyone in one post, not just you. I don't assume what i don't know, cause i know there is no God. Religion is a creation by man to cope with death, to explain the unexplainable. that is all. And praying is the same thing as hoping, just because you hope something happens doesn't make it any more probable of it actually happening.

besides, i have no idea why this turned around on me and my beliefs, i was just curious about everyone else on here. f*ck.

"There is no God." Can you provide me with legitimate and logical evidence that that statement is true?

Science has something called metaphysical claims. Things that can't be proven or disproven. I fully admit that I can't provide scientific evidence that God DOES exist, and I don't have knowledge that he does. That's the nice thing about faith, it surpasses knowing. I don't have to know, I just believe, and to me, that is far more powerful and more real than just knowing.

Atheists do not exist because there is not a single person alive who can provide scientific, logical, and legitimate evidence that God does not exist. That's why every atheist is not an atheist, but an agnostic. They don't know, just like everybody else. I don't know, no one knows.

I'm really not trying to argue with you. Others may be, but I'm not. I started out just answering your question with my opinion, and now I'm just trying to talk and understand. I hope you understand that.

If you would rather reply back to me in a PM, or not at all as to let this thread die, I'll understand.

|| sean ||

"If ever you come near I'll hold up high a mirror
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You." --Mewithoutyou
Joined: 02 Aug 2007 | Posts: 76 | Location: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

So I guess the general consensus here is that people would steal food to survive if it really got to that point. Everyone has a different idea of where that point is exactly though, but most don't believe that you've gotten to that point yet. But the poll isn't "If you were in my situation would you steal food?" is it? Maybe it is, it's hard to tell.

Like Cubswinworldseries said, you're going to get caught and that'll just make things worse. Best advice would be to stop stealing and try something else, but you weren't really asking for advice or approval.

You may not believe in God but He believes in you! Haha just kidding I'm sure he hates you. Razz

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

Tempest wrote:
Atheists do not exist because there is not a single person alive who can provide scientific, logical, and legitimate evidence that God does not exist. That's why every atheist is not an atheist, but an agnostic. They don't know, just like everybody else. I don't know, no one knows.

if thats true, than Christians don't exist, and Muslims don't exist, and Jews don't exist cause they can't prove there is a God. your logic doesn't make any sense. how can someone's belief not exist if someone believes in it? and no, Atheists aren't Agnostic. Atheists believe there is no god. Agnostics believe there might be a god.

also, there is scientific evidence that disproves the bible. and there are logical reasons to prove that God(s) doesn't exist.
Evolutionary Theory? thats a pretty scientific, logical, and legitimate reason.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
Sea Post King

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

if thats true, than Christians don't exist, and Muslims don't exist, and Jews don't exist cause they can't prove there is a God. your logic doesn't make any sense. how can someone's belief not exist if someone believes in it? and no, Atheists aren't Agnostic. Atheists believe there is no god. Agnostics believe there might be a god.

also, there is scientific evidence that disproves the bible. and there are logical reasons to prove that God(s) doesn't exist.
Evolutionary Theory? thats a pretty scientific, logical, and legitimate reason.

Which is exactly why I said that as a Christian, I don't KNOW God exists and I can't prove it. I believe he exists, which is much different from knowing. I've studied logic in college, I've also studied athiesm and read numerous articles by Sam Haggis. Also, the president of the largest Athiestic society in America admitted in an official society article, in response to another's point of view, that it is logically invalid to say that there is no God, because there is no proof. The foremost advocate and leader of American Atheism said that, publicly.

Atheism is believing there is no God, but it's not knowing, that's all I'm trying to say. So when I hear someone say there is no God, I want proof and enlightenment in case I missed something. Otherwise, the more correct statement is that they believe there is no God.

The Bible is only a fraction of the entire set of documents from biblical times, and most of it is regarded by numerous scholars as a legitimate historical document. There are books of poetry and stories and opinions in the Bible, but there is a large portion of it that has been proven to be historically accurate.

Evolution is a theory. A theory must be tested and proved. Evolution is still a theory, meaning it has not been proved. Thus, it is not a legitimate and logical reason to prove that god doesn't exist.

You know I'm not trying to argue religion or God here. I'm actually very "irreligious" myself. I'm just offering thoughts up in the air, and if one is not open to consideration of new knowledge or thinking, then one cannot accurately or efficiently structure his/her own thinking or knowledge.

I think we just have a mix-up on vocabulary, that's all.

I really have no desire to continue throwing opinions back and forth in the open public, so shoot me a PM if you want to talk more.

Regardless of if you don't believe in praying or God, I'm still going to pray for you and be a person who sincerely values you and your life, even if that means nothing to you.

|| sean ||

Tempest
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:
crazeemunkeyz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
I'd rather die with dignity than live with prideful guilt.

Stealing food to live if you're starving strips you of your dignity? According to whom?

The way I see it, food and water are basic human rights. Unfortunately, they are ones that a lot of the people in this word are being denied, for various reasons, many of them stemming from the folks at the "top".

Yes, it does. According to me...because...

...it's my opinion.

I used to blame "the man" and "establishment" a lot too, then I realized that despair lurks everywhere. Yes, lot of the things that make you at the "top" are temptations that help cause a lot of inhumane actions and situations, but much like the rich have a top of the mountain, so do the poor.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

yea, but what if you're not guilty for stealing? and you still had your pride.

If you break it down to the most basic form, by taking from someone else, you are contributing to the very thing that leaves you starving and thirsty in the first place. It's easy to take, but what about giving?

Like I said before, generosity is not giving you what you need more, it's giving you what I need more than you do.

In complete seriousness, I don't care who you are, if you're truly at rock bottom and you need something, here is my phone number: [edited]. If I have it to give, I will.

I'd rather make sacrifices than you make wrong choices.

|| sean ||

i steal for other people too when they're hungry. i give my extra food and leftover cigarettes (which i bum off other people) to the homeless that want them. i don't need your pity, i do alright by myself. this wasn't a question about my morality, just other people's. I'm Atheist, so the commandments mean nothing to me, which doesn't mean i'm evil and i like to kill and cheat. i live life to the fullest, as best i can. And i don't steal anything other than food from major chains.

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know. Cheese and Wine isn't going to get me full, and as for going to shelters and churches and sh*t? theres so many freaking homeless that are already there that i'd be lucky if i got in the door. I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

You're mistaken, I don't pity you. In the sense of humanity, I love you and simply wanted to remind you that some people in life do care about others. I know it wasn't a question about your morality, but YOU specifically asked me a question, and I gave you my answer, so don't dare complain or return with an attitude for your own actions. Not once have I given you a verbal spanking or morality lesson, so don't get defensive with me, cause I'm not out to argue or put you in your place.

As for athiesm, I don't believe in athiests. By science, athiesm can't exist. I also used to be agnostic, as well as considering a myriad of other beliefs. I'm confused as to where you're getting at where I've thrown the bible at you? I never mentioned any commandments or biblical law. Everything I said in my post is from basic humanity and compassion that this world needs more of.

You said it best, "don't assume what you don't know." You're doing a lot of assuming.

|| sean ||

wait, how old are you?! 12 right?
it seems like you've thought through this a lot and have pretty solid beliefs in this issue.
i wish i was this articulate and well informed when i was 12.
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or whatever, but I'm pretty certain he's 19 or 20.

Yeah, I'm 19, but I'll be 20 in February. Thanks tahruh. Smile

I have thought it out and studied all of the popular worldviews. Not for credentials, but I realized that if I really thought I knew who/what God was, I had to see what we wasn't to even begin to know what I knew.

Can't believe everything you hear. Life is best lived by discovery, not observation.

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

I've never really thought of it that way, Lantz. I guess I we have faith that there is a God, there is no reason you couldn't have faith that there isn't. Perhaps the fact that irreligious people have traditionally been more proof-oriented and religious people have been more faith-oriented explains why that point isn't frequently made.

On the evolution point, I don't see how evolution would prove or disprove anything (with regard to Christianity, anyway.) Also, there are a crapload of dishonest scientists on both sides of that argument, so I have no idea what the truth is about it. Richard Feynman said
Quote:
There is one feature I notice that is generally missing in "cargo cult science"... It's a kind of scientific integrity, a principle of scientific thought that corresponds to a kind of utter honesty — a kind of leaning over backwards... For example, if you're doing an experiment, you should report everything that you think might make it invalid — not only what you think is right about it... Details that could throw doubt on your interpretation must be given, if you know them.
I just don't see that sort of honesty exhibited by either side of the evolution/intelligent design argument. They're more interested in proving their point than in finding the actual truth.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

This whole thing reminds me that I bought the God Delusion. I'm going to read it after I finish Ulysses.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

Tempest wrote:
tahruh wrote:
crazeemunkeyz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Paranoid Android v2.0 wrote:
Tempest wrote:

Stealing food to live if you're starving strips you of your dignity? According to whom?

The way I see it, food and water are basic human rights. Unfortunately, they are ones that a lot of the people in this word are being denied, for various reasons, many of them stemming from the folks at the "top".

Yes, it does. According to me...because...

...it's my opinion.

I used to blame "the man" and "establishment" a lot too, then I realized that despair lurks everywhere. Yes, lot of the things that make you at the "top" are temptations that help cause a lot of inhumane actions and situations, but much like the rich have a top of the mountain, so do the poor.

Lantz wrote:
Tempest wrote:

yea, but what if you're not guilty for stealing? and you still had your pride.

If you break it down to the most basic form, by taking from someone else, you are contributing to the very thing that leaves you starving and thirsty in the first place. It's easy to take, but what about giving?

Like I said before, generosity is not giving you what you need more, it's giving you what I need more than you do.

In complete seriousness, I don't care who you are, if you're truly at rock bottom and you need something, here is my phone number: [edited]. If I have it to give, I will.

I'd rather make sacrifices than you make wrong choices.

|| sean ||

i steal for other people too when they're hungry. i give my extra food and leftover cigarettes (which i bum off other people) to the homeless that want them. i don't need your pity, i do alright by myself. this wasn't a question about my morality, just other people's. I'm Atheist, so the commandments mean nothing to me, which doesn't mean i'm evil and i like to kill and cheat. i live life to the fullest, as best i can. And i don't steal anything other than food from major chains.

and yea, i have a computer now but in a month or so i will be literally homeless. so don't assume what you don't know. Cheese and Wine isn't going to get me full, and as for going to shelters and churches and sh*t? theres so many freaking homeless that are already there that i'd be lucky if i got in the door. I live in Chicago, the third largest city in America. not some rural town in nowheresville, Texas where there are barely any homeless.

You're mistaken, I don't pity you. In the sense of humanity, I love you and simply wanted to remind you that some people in life do care about others. I know it wasn't a question about your morality, but YOU specifically asked me a question, and I gave you my answer, so don't dare complain or return with an attitude for your own actions. Not once have I given you a verbal spanking or morality lesson, so don't get defensive with me, cause I'm not out to argue or put you in your place.

|| sean ||

wait, how old are you?! 12 right?
it seems like you've thought through this a lot and have pretty solid beliefs in this issue.
i wish i was this articulate and well informed when i was 12.
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or whatever, but I'm pretty certain he's 19 or 20.

Yeah, I'm 19, but I'll be 20 in February. Thanks tahruh. Smile

I have thought it out and studied all of the popular worldviews. Not for credentials, but I realized that if I really thought I knew who/what God was, I had to see what we wasn't to even begin to know what I knew.

Can't believe everything you hear. Life is best lived by discovery, not observation.

word. i must be confusing you with someone else...
france
Golly, Poster

I have dry skin on my nose from all the blowing

tahruh wrote:
Can we play Twister? PLEASE!! I'm really good. Watch me twist!
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

france wrote:

better use some lotion.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

Lantz wrote:
france wrote:

better use some lotion.

or just stop blowing
hoo boy.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
chriz
Sea Post King

i would steal some food but if 1 day i would be able to pay it back i would do that
Joined: 15 Dec 2007 | Posts: 1 | Location: very boring village in the netherlands
france
Golly, Poster

nevernever wrote:
Lantz wrote:
france wrote:

better use some lotion.

or just stop blowing
hoo boy.

...or let me use your shirt Wink

tahruh wrote:
Can we play Twister? PLEASE!! I'm really good. Watch me twist!
Chexee
Sea Post King

Yes, but I'd probably get caught.

I'm clumsy and not very sneaky, but damnit I'm HUNGRY!

Also,

Quote:

As for athiesm, I don't believe in athiests. By science, athiesm can't exist.

That doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Joined: 15 Dec 2007 | Posts: 29 | Location: The United States of Leland
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>