Laughing City

Musicianship, acting, writing, painting, etc.
Primarily talent (that one naturally possessed)
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
Primarily skill (that one develops)
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 27

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I intentionally left a "in between" or "it depends" option out of the poll, in case you were wondering.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
alinicole
Sea Post King

Hmm.. I think I'm going to go with a talent just because even when I was in kindergarten my teachers would tell my parents that I painted really well for my age. While I have improved a lot through practice, I also think it came to me naturally in a sense.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I'm going to say skill.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
4th Month of the Year
Lost at Forum

I think some people are naturally better at things than others and the more they're exposed to it, the more it shows. If that makes any sense at all.
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

me, having no previous photography skill whatsoever, was one of the top people in my photography class because of my talent and my talent alone. i still suck at the correct shutter speed and aperture combinations, i just go by what my light meter tells me.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

4th Month of the Year wrote:
I think some people are naturally better at things than others and the more they're exposed to it, the more it shows. If that makes any sense at all.

I think I am pretty much in agreement with this one.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

SKILL. soooo skill.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I'll try to speak for us skillers.

Let's say that when you were three you could play the main riff in Smoke On The Water. That's talent. But if you try to impress people with that when you're twenty-three it falls flat, because you have to develop that talent. Eddie Van Halen is a very talented guitarist. BUT he sat on the edge of his bed practicing for hours at a time to get to the point where he was excellent.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
4th Month of the Year
Lost at Forum

Pantheon4 wrote:
I'll try to speak for us skillers.

Let's say that when you were three you could play the main riff in Smoke On The Water. That's talent. But if you try to impress people with that when you're twenty-three it falls flat, because you have to develop that talent. Eddie Van Halen is a very talented guitarist. BUT he sat on the edge of his bed practicing for hours at a time to get to the point where he was excellent.

Well people can have a talent for working hard and perseverance.

alinicole
Sea Post King

I think that when it comes to playing instruments and acting then yes it's a skill because quite honestly anyone can learn to do that well through practice. However, do any of you honestly think that, just by practicing, you could draw like this? I know I'm probably never going to be able to draw that well no matter how much I practice. So I say drawing/painting is a talent but things like playing musical instruments and acting are more of a skill.

/opinion

EDIT: when I said "anyone can learn to do that well" in regards to musicianship I wasn't referring to composing music, just playing it. Composition is a talent as well in my opinion.
Last edited by alinicole on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Unless you have some modicum of natural talent, all the skill in the world won't help you be an artist. You can study painting, or sculpture, or music, until your eyes fall out and you still won't be van Gogh, Rodin, or Beethoven unless you've got that spark in you. It doesn't have to be the kind of innate, immediate talent that lets you play "Smoke On the Water" when you're three, but there has to be something there to build on.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Primarily skill (that one develops). Key word there is primarily.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Unless you have some modicum of natural talent, all the skill in the world won't help you be an artist. You can study painting, or sculpture, or music, until your eyes fall out and you still won't be van Gogh, Rodin, or Beethoven unless you've got that spark in you. It doesn't have to be the kind of innate, immediate talent that lets you play "Smoke On the Water" when you're three, but there has to be something there to build on.

I concur.

Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

I think we are saying the same thing in different ways. You have to have some talent, but it will probably sit stagnant if you don't put forth an effort. I'm not saying that there aren't wunderkinder, but most artists have to work.

Terebinthia
Vintage Newbie

A person is born with a natural ability or talent and then they hone that talent by becoming skilled in their craft through practice. Some talents are realized later in life after one has taken lessons or classes, while some talents are so advanced that a person doesn't even have to practice much or be skilled that area to succeed in that talent. There are also those who try to learn certain techniques and they end up not progressing much at all in the arts.

People aren't born with skills...skills are aquired as a result of working on some sort of ability that they have.

Free Dictionary says this about both:

Quote:
tal·ent (tlnt)
n.
1. A marked innate ability, as for artistic accomplishment. See Synonyms at ability.
a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.

skill (skl)
n.
1. Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience. See Synonyms at ability.
a. An art, trade, or technique, particularly one requiring use of the hands or body.
b. A developed talent or ability: writing skills.

So to me, that says that one is just something that occurs naturally and a skill is a way to perfect the talent. Even virtuosos and prodigies try to gain more skill in the talents that they possess in art and music.

Commentary on creepy online men who use fake photos of girly Fabiosos to get the ladies:

"The longer my hair gets, the more sexy I have" - Jamie M.
Joined: 10 Jan 2005 | Posts: 3967 | Location: In between here and there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger