Laughing City

Musicianship, acting, writing, painting, etc.
Primarily talent (that one naturally possessed)
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
Primarily skill (that one develops)
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 27

Lantz
Vintage Newbie

there was a kid in my photography class that knew more about photography than anyone in the class, but he didn't take one interesting/good picture the whole semester. as my teacher put it, he didn't take pictures that defined him or showed what he was about, but rather pictures he thought a photographer should take. thats the difference between talent and skill. you could know everything there is to know about playing guitar, but that doesn't mean you can make good music.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

i find that having to choose between the two makes it too simplistic.

the two (environment/training) confluences in such a way as to make it not really one or the other.

also, because art is a means of expression, the visual (or auditory) corresponds with the spiritual. - which could be argued as something thats not trained, nor inborn talent, but originating from the infinite.

so my point is that art is appears on the physical plane as some combination of talent and skill but it is really a metaphysical gift from god.
Last edited by ZenArtist on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
4th Month of the Year
Lost at Forum

Lantz wrote:
there was a kid in my photography class that knew more about photography than anyone in the class, but he didn't take one interesting/good picture the whole semester. as my teacher put it, he didn't take pictures that defined him or showed what he was about, but rather pictures he thought a photographer should take. thats the difference between talent and skill. you could know everything there is to know about playing guitar, but that doesn't mean you can make good music.

Good point.

Dat
Golly, Poster

Most people I talk to who are very good at what they do say it comes from commitment. They take pride in the hard work they put into their passion everyday, and tend to be insulted by the idea of it coming naturally.
Joined: 15 Jun 2005 | Posts: 578 | Location: San Francisco, CA