Laughing City

Did you become an Atheist after seeing "The Golden Compass"?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 29

ChickensForRent
Sea Post King

guitargirl wrote:
I've decided I'm going to read at least the first book, and from there I'll base my opinion, and not what I've heard and read in various places. Then I can either go on saying it's terrible, or it's great, based on what I actually know for myself.

Thank you.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

guitargirl wrote:
I've decided I'm going to read at least the first book, and from there I'll base my opinion, and not what I've heard and read in various places. Then I can either go on saying it's terrible, or it's great, based on what I actually know for myself.

Good for you! If only everyone would have that mindset. Very Happy

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i must admit that most of my reactionary experience simply comes from the imdb.com boards. since that is where i frequent the internet most outside of the LC.

but i did manage to get some links here for you

this one mentions pullman (it was written in 2005)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,2763,1657759,00.html

not a bad review but he does call it "christian propaganda"
http://www.filmatheist.com/reviews/narnia.htm

here is a good one where the guy doesnt like the christian undertones

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/reviews/?id=1958

here is a blog that quotes some articles about the bad parts of LWW including comments about it being "brain washing"
http://blog.johnjosephbachir.org/2005/12/04/scathing-critisism-of-narn ia-movie/

and in the spirit of this thread here is an article talking again about the narnia controversy and why its pointless
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,1665903,00.html

so it did exist.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Wow, that first one has some serious vitriol. I find it intriguing that two of those links are from the Guardian and a third quotes the first one--as the article pointed out, England is among the world's most secular countries and many people are either ambivalent or opposed to Christianity. Conversely, the outcry against The Golden Compass comes (judging by the location tags on most members of the Facebook groups I keep getting invited to join) mainly from the Bible belt.

What I'm about to say could be considered extremely offensive, but that's never stopped me from saying anything before, so here goes. I have come to expect angry rants about religiously-centered media from atheists, but I think Christian fundamentalists ought to be above that sort of thing. That doesn't make it okay for whiny atheists to bash Narnia; in fact it renders both arguments even more futile, since the Narnia series and the His Dark Materials trilogy have both been around a while, won countless awards, and are firmly entrenched in the imaginations of children the world over. So basically, both atheists and Christians need to find something better to complain about than the agenda behind children's movies. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
So basically, both atheists and Christians need to find something better to complain about than the agenda behind children's movies. Wink

i couldnt agree more Very Happy

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
Saellys wrote:
So basically, both atheists and Christians need to find something better to complain about than the agenda behind children's movies. Wink

i couldnt agree more Very Happy

Yes!
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

I finished reading the book this afternoon, and then saw it later in the evening.

The allegorical message of the story is interesting, but I'm not that drawn into the controversy or whether or not it's a good thing/bad thing. I went to see the movie with about the same mindset as when I saw Series Of Unfortunate Events and Narnia. I came out with sort of mixed feelings. I thought it was ok, but there were several things I didn't care for as well.

(in the movie)

Things I liked: Lyra, Lord Asriel, the look Mrs. Coulter gives the master of Jordan when she asks him not to refuse her, the fact that they didn't remove Iorek's de-jawing of Iofur, and Sam Elliott (the incredible) as Scoresby.

Things I didn't like: the opening (which flatly identifies dust, what demons are, and the fact that there are parallel universes), Ian McKellen as Iorek (couldn't help connecting Iorek to Gandalf and the old Nazi from Apt Pupil), Farder Coram (this actor is waaaaaay too young), and the fact that they hacked off the ending.

Vintage Newbie

I saw this movie tonight and decided that I want a daemon...badly. I'd have a white cat. Daniel Craig rocks (obviously). He has a vest on too. Which I have a thing for vests. He must be in the next movie more than this one (They are making the other books into movies, right?)? I think Asriel would be a good name for a pet and Lyra. Mostly since I know of someone with a cat named Lyra. Nicole Kidman's daemon monkey was creepy. The polar bear who got his jaw torn off was gross.

Moral of the story is: WE ALL NEED DAEMONS.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:

YES. I would like a fox, plzkthx. Or maybe an osprey.

Smokemonster
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

patrock wrote:

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

I think I'm getting two new cats after Winter break, so I'm for sure naming at least one of them something relating to the movie (Asriel, Pan, Daemon, etc.) I don't care what my mom says Very Happy

dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

OceanMachine wrote:

Things I didn't like: the opening (which flatly identifies dust, what demons are, and the fact that there are parallel universes), Ian McKellen as Iorek (couldn't help connecting Iorek to Gandalf and the old Nazi from Apt Pupil), Farder Coram (this actor is waaaaaay too young), and the fact that they hacked off the ending.

i agree on all counts! i hate when the actor's voice is recognizable (same was true with Liam Nieson as Aslan in Narnia). I'm pretty sure the book specifically says farder coram as really really old. geeze, why did they need to make him young?

i was kind of meh about the movie. i think i'm just really sick of fantasy movies and the fact that they all use the same sweeping shots and battle sequences. all the books seem really different, but on screen the similarities are the things that really jump out at me.
Joined: 04 Dec 2004 | Posts: 2702 | Location: central new york, massachusetts, london (soon)
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

ok, i didn't read this whole thread so if this has already been discussed excuse my repetitiveness, but i just saw the movie tonight and though i liked it i really hated the ending. they completely skipped the part where Roger dies and she goes through the bridge. it was just so butchered, i think they could have made it into a three hour movie and added more of the book into it. and i also wish they would have kept the magisterium as the papacy.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

Lantz wrote:
...it was just so butchered, i think they could have made it into a three hour movie and added more of the book into it. and i also wish they would have kept...

i would like to say...welcome to the world of a harry potter fan.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Lantz wrote:
ok, i didn't read this whole thread so if this has already been discussed excuse my repetitiveness, but i just saw the movie tonight and though i liked it i really hated the ending. they completely skipped the part where Roger dies and she goes through the bridge. it was just so butchered, i think they could have made it into a three hour movie and added more of the book into it. and i also wish they would have kept the magisterium as the papacy.

Well, they obviously couldn't have just skipped the ending, it's pretty obvious it's going to be the beginning of the 2nd movie, but I agree, I was equally as angry. It would have made SUCH a better ending.

SingingTree1994
Lost at Forum

i'm someone will get mad at me for this, but...
i DO NOT want to see this movie

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>