Laughing City
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

I don't think using multiple computers or multiple browsers, or asking friends and family to to the same is 'cheating'.
We pay for each and everyone of those computers and browsers. We have the right to spread the word of this great and undernourished band to any and all.
Once it was understood that it was trying to be a fair poll (as opposed to an 'all clicks encouraged and appreciated' poll, all talk of hurting cookies and such ceased.

Sanctimony is.....well, sanctimonious.
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

oh, great! see, i said i was going to shut up, but...

the MSNBC website itself uses the example of individuals using "multiple computers or multiple browsers" as a way for people to subvert the intent of the polling process — or, "cheat":

MSNBC.com wrote:
In addition, while MSNBC.com’s Live Votes are designed to allow only one vote per user, someone who wants to vote more than once could simply use another computer or another Internet account.
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
RockerChick
Sea Post King

Ya'll are no fun. Laughing

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

RockerChick wrote:
Ya'll are no fun. Laughing

sorry!

but, something i just realized: i don't think this poll ever ends! there's no end date mentioned anywhere on the poll, and i just voted on a "LiveVote" from 2005! so, how can Eisley ever "win?" hmm…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

do not be afraid. wrote:
but, something i just realized: i don't think this poll ever ends! there's no end date mentioned anywhere on the poll, and i just voted on a "LiveVote" from 2005! so, how can Eisley ever "win?" hmm…

HA
HA
AWESOME.

DRMS_7888 wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
In general, this is the dumbest argument of the year.

Sorry, but I think the Hippo wins that award.

bashing? Surprised Wink
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

By the way, I meant dumbest argument of 2008 ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:

Ok. You can have that one. Cool

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Ok. You can have that one. Cool

for now. cuz 2008 only just begun

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

do not be afraid. wrote:

I'm going to say that since Eisley was winning at the stroke of midnight on NYE, they win the poll. Congrats Eisley! "Combinations" is America's favorite album of 2007! The plaque along with the one for selling 50 million records is in the mail.

True this poll may never end. But over the next week the number voting on it will decrease to a miniscule rate and Eisley will remain at or near the top. All we can hope is that some people in the industry will notice that Eisley has a lot of support and be more encouraged to give Eisley further opportunities to excel in 2008.

As mentioned by a previous poster, at the very least, we created some buzz for other voters who have never before heard of Eisley and are now intrigued by this band who's album must be good to have such a high number of votes. You'd be surprised how many people who look at lists or polls like this and will buy an album simply because it made a "best of the year list." They at the very least may go to the website and find out what all the buzz is about. And Eisley will inevitably get more fans. For that we have succeeded. Good job Eisley fans!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

RockerChick wrote:

This makes my heart happy. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

Incredibly stupid, this whole no-ending poll thing. What's the point of that?
I wrote to Marc (the writer of the piece) and he confirmed. Here's what he said about it:

"The poll is utterly meaningless. I can't state this enough. Folks can vote-bomb the thing until they're blue in the face (or mouse-button finger), and it will amount to nothing at all. It's just a way for the site to incorporate some interactive content. But it has absolutely no importance whatsoever. There's no "winner," no "band of the year" and the poll never closes. It's just a thing that means nothing."

I think it DOES mean something, that out of a poll of 13,000 readers, Eisley came out on top. But, I still wrote to MSNBC and told them it was stupid to have a never-ending end of the year favorite poll.
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

i don't find it stupid because it's still interesting to see viewer's thoughts, even though it doesn't end.

Rolling Eyes

and who cares if it never ends? it wasn't a contest. it was a poll.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

They expect the story to die, hence the ending of the vote. That story is pretty dead by now, I'm sure. It just ticks as long as the story is alive. They probably keep it open in case a story sprouts legs, and that way it'll still be interactive.

There's nothing to winning anyway. It is however something to do to get some little word out there. "Eisley seems to be doing well. Maybe I'll check them out." Even just a few new people could lead to a lot. So it's not fruitless at all. Just not something to get worked up over.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
savannah64
Sea Post King

Wow, that's great!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Yeah for Eisley! Some more great press. Very Happy