42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Que es Taco Bueno?
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 40

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I'm not really crazy about authentic Mexican. There's some very good stuff I've had, but I prefer Tex-Mex. Though I actually know the difference between the two.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

i like taco bueno okay... they don't have them in austin, but they had a couple in waco, and i was all, "eh this is decent" when i lived there.
but really, for me, nothing beats taco bell. Laughing

and of course there's tons of texmex restaurants in east texas. heck, that's true anywhere in texas. because it's TEXAS. get over it.

Last edited by Ecouter on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I've never heard of it but that happened when they opened a Krispy Kream here. It somehow made headline news and they had to have cops directing traffic at the drive-thru for the first couple months.

Haha, cops directing traffic at a donut shop...
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

jamiga wrote:
Where is the new Taco Bueno?

5th St and the Loop by the Army/Navy Store.

Have you lived in Tyler most of your life?

Someone was thinking that Mexican styled building that was by TJC was once a Taco Bueno that went out of business. Now I think they bulldozed the building and made it more TJC parking.

I don't know why I was thinking goat cheese then. I just remember reading that article and being surprised at how much of the types of foods at Tex Mex restaurants had very little to do with authentic Mexican cuisine. Then again, Mexico is quite a big place so I'm sure there are differences in every region depending on climate, vegetation, history, etc.

Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
I've never heard of it but that happened when they opened a Krispy Kream here. It somehow made headline news and they had to have cops directing traffic at the drive-thru for the first couple months.

they tried to open a krispy kreme in waco. it lasted all of about a year. maybe less. sure, it was crowded like crazy the first month or so, but after awhile, wacoans just were not impressed.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Ecouter wrote:
uncreative wrote:

they tried to open a krispy kreme in waco. it lasted all of about a year. maybe less. sure, it was crowded like crazy the first month or so, but after awhile, wacoans just were not impressed.

i had no contact with a Krispy Kreme until i moved to Tennessee and i would go to the one in Antioch (outside of Nashville) now and then. i could only eat a few because they were so sweet. they do have them in gas stations around here though (and i'm sure they're in larger Texas cities).

ladiosadice
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:

I don't know why I was thinking goat cheese then. I just remember reading that article and being surprised at how much of the types of foods at Tex Mex restaurants had very little to do with authentic Mexican cuisine. Then again, Mexico is quite a big place so I'm sure there are differences in every region depending on climate, vegetation, history, etc.

They probably do use goat cheese somewhere. Just from my experience of being in the Jalisco/Guanajuato/Michoacan states they use queso fresco. You usually find it most sprinkled on top of refried beans.

And I swear in that moment we were infinite
BLOG l FLICKR
Clark
Vintage Newbie

Bueno is the best. As far as fast food mexican restaurants go, of course. I love that place... *sigh*

I got a Bueno gift card for Christmas, and I love it to death. When I lived in Dallas, I would go all the time, but for the past 5 years i've lived in Austin, i've been Bueno-less. They opened one up recently, but it's in South Austin, past downtown. So close... yet so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ecouter
Vintage Newbie

Clark wrote:
They opened one up recently, but it's in South Austin, past downtown. So close... yet so far.

Did they? I was not aware. South Austin is like a whole other country. I don't venture there much if given the choice.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Clark wrote:
i've lived in Austin, i've been Bueno-less. They opened one up recently, but it's in South Austin, past downtown. So close... yet so far.

no Buenos in Austin?

at least you got Freebird's and Cloud's...and what about those two restaurants featured in Death Proof? been to either of those?
one was Texas Chili Parlor i think......i'm drawing a blank on the other.

jamiga
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
jamiga wrote:
Where is the new Taco Bueno?

5th St and the Loop by the Army/Navy Store.

Have you lived in Tyler most of your life?

Well, since 2003.

I grew up in the Van/Edom area, which is about 45 minutes west of Tyler.

And yeah, TJC needs all the parking it can get!

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

There was a Taco Bueno in the city I grew up in. I guess I liked it, can't remember. My older brother worked there, he said one of his jobs was to mix in oatmeal with the ground meat to give it more volume hah. But that was like 35 years ago.

Oh yeah the main thing I remember about it is that it had an offensive caricature of a Mexican guy on the sign, he looked really goofy, I liked it back then cause it made the place seem funner.

I just looked it up, there's 4 of them in the city I live in and I didn't even realize it.

Hah, now I just found out that the very first one was the one my brother worked in.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Last edited by Nowhere Man on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

from your description of Taco Bueno, it sounds a lot like Baja Fresh.
If that's the case, I'll be happy with that.
EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

Awww! Every weekend of my childhood was spent with my Aunt at Taco Bueno. The words "Two party burritoes and a frozen lemonade" are forever hardwired into my little old mind. And guess what...THOSE BURRITOES COST 60 CENTS EACH !!!
$#@! man. That's some good $#@! $#@!.

Anyways now Taco Cabana owns my body. Lately, the words "Three tortillas, a side of black beans and a small container of guacamole--OH YEAH and just a little lettuce? Just like...in a little cup? Do you think you could do that, like I don't know..just one of those little three ounce containers you have for salsa, except for lettuce? How much does that cost? Free? Free lettuce? YESSSS" are seeing a lot of airplay from me lately. Although, that whole shenanigan is a tiny smidglet more expensive.

Anyways tacos can have my life and yours too.
ps. Taco Bell oughtta go die.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

jamiga wrote:
I grew up in the Van/Edom area, which is about 45 minutes west of Tyler.

so you must know about The Shed!
http://www.theshedcafe.com/
i actually ate there for the first time this past weekend after hearing about it a lot on The Ranch (i must give props to Tom Perryman, my favorite dj ever).

the "offensive" Mexican on the sign - that sounds like Pancho's to me. they had that cliche Mexican man with the huge gut (you know you usually see them sleeping under a tree with hat tilted down). not too long ago they redesigned the mascot to be a lot skinnier..........but now there are no Pancho's around here.......it wasn't my favorite but every once in a while i wanted some of their flautas and to 'raise the flag.'